main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What hasn't been done in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ku'ar Danar's backstory also includes time travel. Backwards, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Casus Belli issues are considered "Unlicensed" though:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ku'ar_Danar

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Unlicensed non-canon of non-canon Legends, indeed.

Fits pretty neatly though.

Ditto a Battle of Mandalore pre-32 ABY, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    Another thing that hasn't been done in Star Wars: multiple timelines. Like the Legend of Zelda, Star Trek, etc...

I've always thought this would be an easy way to make both the EU and the NEU canon. Though I guess it is a little tricky since they share multiple moments in history exactly (the events of the six movies and The Clone Wars) but stuff in between those events are different. There's not exactly a good branching off point to split the timeline at. It's more like two alternate realities that coincidentally have a few of the exact same things happen at the exact same times.

5. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I also support the idea of alternate universes. As for a branch off point? Probably somewhere in the Old Republic, depends on where Disney moves with their own Old Republic era. We know in Disney canon at some point the Sith ruled the Galaxy, that never happened in the Legendsverse. As for the coinciding set of events, we can put it down to the Chosen One Prophecy 'forcing' the events of the six movies to take place, even if there's some notable differences inbetween them, it all leads to the same set of events where Anakin becomes Vader and culls both the Sith and Jedi herds.

As for what I'd like to see? Legends or New Canon, I'd like to see some actual political drama. I'm not talking about nonsense political droids interpreting laws, or giving the Senate the stupid ball. I'd like to see a House of Cards-esque book on Sheev's progress in the Republic Senate.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    KOTOR 2? ;) Maybe not the whole galaxy, but close enough.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    If you're going to shoehorn something to fit, I'd think the New Sith Wars would make more sense. Though really I feel like the EU kind of goofed here. The intent was clearly that the Sith ruled the galaxy as a whole, and honestly they retconned enough to match with the new history that it probably could have been managed.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I would be embarrassingly upset and irritated if this happened.

I am absolutely fine with (and, indeed, encourage!) disconnected AU that share in the same "mythos", but the moment we have an all-continuity-encompassing and literal multiverse that serves as a "meta" continuity I'm signing off.

I do not want any SW universe, legends or otherwise, to be reduced to a facet of a larger, DC style nonsense-verse.

. . .

And I'm still kind of bitter about how the Zelda thing played out. :p

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Galactic Emperor on a pogo stick.

Well, it hasn't.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That would make for one heck of a crack-fic.

11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Everything is going as he has foreseen.

12. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015

The Zelda timeline is a complete mess and an obvious afterthought. I'm not sure I'd like it if SW did this either. But it just came to mind as something that hasn't been done yet.

13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, I'm not having a go. Like I said, my overwhelmingly negative reaction to the concept is pretty embarrassing. It wouldn't really matter.

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I only bothered to read about that Zelda "timeline" thing a couple of months ago...

I still don't understand why they bothered to do that. :p

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Before The Wind Waker was made, OOT was a prequel to ALTTP and nobody cared about the inconsistencies. Wind Waker resulted in there being two completely different games that both revolve around Ganondorf breaking out the seal put on at the end of OOT and then getting killed by Link. Shortly after The Wind Waker was released, the creators of the Zelda games were asked if there's a timeline connecting all the games and they said yes but that it's a secret. For many years, fans such as myself speculated about how the games connect to each other and what order they occur in. These fans came to be known as "timeline theorists." For the 25th anniversary of the Zelda series, the creators finally published the timeline, although many fans think they were lying when they initially said that there's a secret timeline and ended up finding themselves backed into a corner.

Speaking of Zelda and anniversaries, the very first Zelda game was released in Japan 30 years ago today. It would be over a year before its release outside of Japan.

BigAl6ft6 and Cheerios4u98 like this.
  16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Oh, I know the history of how people kept wanting to join the dots, yeah, I remember frequenting some Zelda theorist website back in the day that had these huge Lit forum style essays on things, but... I never felt the need for them to actually publish one. :p

I mean, I bought the Skyward Sword that came with the paper copy of that thing, and it literally just sat in a cupboard for about two or three years until I finally was bored one day and looked at it. I guess, it was just one of those occasions where I'd rather not know whether Santa is real, and preferred when it remained up in the air to interpretation.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    As much as I hate the idea that the games are connected, I hate the idea of a secret timeline even more, so I was happy when they published the timeline because it meant that they were no longer withholding the fundamental lore of the games from the public. My enjoyment of the games was hurt by the fact that I never could be sure what games occur before and after whatever game I was playing. Imagine if they never told us what order Thrawn, Dark Empire, NJO, LOTF, etc. occur in while insisting that there is an order. That's how it felt.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I thought SW Infinities were alternate timelines... ?

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    That's not at all the same thing as introducing one continuity with multiple timelines.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If Palpatine was re-elected at some point in between TPM and AOTC, I'd like to learn more about that.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  21. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Mirror Universe?

22. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    A specific plotline that I really hate that was overlooked are the battles between Ackbar/Antillies and Pellaeon late in the galactic war. I really want to see Borosk Orinda

But ideas that have never been done:

A proper romance (or erotica) novel - not sure this would sell to the demographic
    A mystery novel - actually surprised this has never happened
    Parallel Universes
    Reviving the dead (many have escaped death)
    Anything supernatural (the Force doesn't count)
    Consciousness transfer from a living thing to a droid (such a sci-fi trope I'm surprised)

23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Huh? There are multiple instances of this I can think of - the Ssi-ruuk, Dr Cylo from the Vader comics, whats-his-face from Children of the Jedi...

Iron_lord and Riv_Shiel like this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh! That reminds me. You all go read Mostly Automatic from Tales from Mos Eisley. Don't read the Wookieepedia summary.

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That could be fun. Reminds me of this passage from X-wing: Wedge's Gamble:

In Wedge's Gamble, it was propaganda; in the Mirror Universe, it would be the truth.

Iron_lord and TK-421 Is vader like this.