main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What hasn't been done in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, yeah. That was a...unique story, for sure.

2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I know there were a couple of "what if" comics like. What if DS-1 didn't blow up or. What if Luke died on Hoth. I guess that's kinda like a Mirror Universe.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I want to see the Damn Fool Idealistic Crusades of Obi-Wan, Annikin, and Darth.

cthugha and Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn like this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I remember getting an absolute kick out of that scene when I read the book for the first time. :D Still tickles me today.

LelalMekha likes this.
  5. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I've always been interested in the persecution of Separatist-aligned species under the Empire. Neimoidians, Skakoans, and such. We know it happened but I don't think anything's gone into much detail. It'd be an interesting story (Syrian Refugee Crisis IN SPACE, perhaps?) and I'd like more sympathetic characters from those races in general.

6. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    That should be easy to achieve. Just make the protagonists of the tale sympathetic separatists fighting ''republic tyranny'' for their home world.

7. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Or the Bane novels...or the Republic/Imperial Commando series.

8. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    How about a "literary" Star Wars novel...like if Salmon Rushdie or Don DeLillo were to write one.

Or a book solely about an non-combatant person living in the NR. No real violence either. Just a normal person from this universe who maybe is a political junkie and follows the news and has his views about that War Mongering Leia and her hippie hermit brother Luke. But mostly he just does his work and keeps his family afloat... and all the drama that entails.

THAT has never been done.

Lock the thread. I win.

cthugha and Ulicus like this.
  9. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    The Coruscant Nights books attempted to do this - Book 2 was kind of in the ballpark. Also, I would argue that most of Survivor's Quest reads like a mystery novel.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think some of the Galaxy of Fear stories could be called "junior mystery novels" where "who's the antagonist" questions come up early on.
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye may count - I think the novel states outright that Leia died and the crystal brought her back.

11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    They just have to attempt some kind of Sherlock Holmes tribute novel with this guy. Or, even better, an anthology of detective short stories.

[​IMG]

Let's think about this for a moment: what if Palpatine had been reared by the Jedi from infancy? What would he have become? (Yeah, yeah, I know whatifs are forbidden.)

12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    [Double post]

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Long live Coruscant Nights!

The second book was very much a straight up detective murder mystery...with intentional use of common murder mystery tropes and elements...along the lines of The Big Sleep and Maltese Falcon.

14. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Wasn't Shadow Games a mystery too?

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    No.

But yes.

Stymi likes this.
  16. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    It's locked in my TFN head Canon.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Several entire forums are, in mine.

18. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    Travel to other galaxies outside the GFFA. Encoutering an Intergalactic Republic and become part of the Intergalactic Republic. The Jedi and Republic colonizing other galaxies. Improving starship hyperdrives to travel to other galaxies in weeks or days or even hours. And of course encoutering Intergalactic enemies and empires. OutBound Flight Project II y'all!!!!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This might sounds really dumb, but is there anything stated in the current new canon that prevents the GFFA from having already established contact with other galaxies? More than just the close minor satellite galaxies, but other huge galaxies as well?

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think so, but it seems to be an underlying assumption still.

21. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    You know, ever since I learned they killed him, I was positive the day would come that Chewie would be back. And I was right. I was not right that it'd take a reboot to do it, though.

Interestingly enough, Endorian magic, as practiced by the Ewoks and their various friends and foes throughout the cartoon, comics, and TV movies, was apparently not intended to be the Force originally, but got retconned into it later. IMO that's probably for the best.

22. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    You know, when people try to make the argument that Star Trek is more "scientific" or grounded in reality than Star Wars, I always remind them that it (and Doctor Who) have some of the more "soft" or fantastical sci fi elements like time travel, teleportation, cosmic beings of godlike power. Of course the Star Wars EU has had a few isolated example of these elements crop up, and several people have already listed examples. But they've never been it's bread and butter. If any of those three appeared in the next Star Wars movie, there'd be major backlash. (Except MAYBE the teleporter, if it was established as new and experimental technology).

candymove likes this.
  23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think they'd be far more likely to get away with beings of cosmic power than teleportation, actually.

Kylun likes this.
  24. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Actually now that I think of it, alternate time lines/time travel could open up a lot of possibilities.

You could have the standard "Infinities" style "What If?" time lines.The ones that interest me most are how Anakin/Vader would have changed if he grew up in a different environment, or never met Obi-wan, or even if Palpatine raised him as an apprentice since birth so he never knew love.

Then you could have the standard Mirror Universe or Alternate Universe stories. There could be one where the Empire won, one where the CIS won, one where Droids rule the galaxy, one where humans are an oppressed minority and some other species like the Hutts rules.

And of course, pretty much every time travel story has to have a "time is broke" story, where dinosaurs, WWI bi planes, armored knights and robots all appear and fight each other or the heroes. This idea is fan-fic-ey as all hell, but part of me wants to see CIS droids, clone troopers, Rebels and Imperials, ancient Sith and Jedi and Yuzzahn Vong and the factions from the Legacy comics all battle it out.

Of course these are just fun ideas, I think if they were to actually implement them there's a danger of turning Star Wars into, as Ulicus said, a "DC style nonsense-verse".

25. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Well I haven't seen much of the Clone Wars cartoon, but from what I understand didn't they have some episodes with "cosmic beings"? If so you may be right.