main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What have YOU learned lately?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Apr 11, 2014.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Yesterday I learned that it was National Siblings Day (in 'Murica only apparently), which was very important because I, along with others, needed that reminder to know & appreciate how much our siblings mean in our lives. Thank goodness! I'd be an emotional wreck today if I'd missed that.

2. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I'm an only child and am offended by said holiday. I ask- nay, I demand they cancel the city Siblings' Egg Hunt and remove the Siblings Day tree from the state capitol.

Oh, and today I learned that The Avengers was originally slapped with an R rating in 'Murica.

3. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I have recently learned that the world is in the thrall of 13 foot lizard people disguised as 6 foot humans. I have also learned, however, of their weakness. Although they hold all the reins of power, are incredibly long-lived and practically indestructible, they cannot - if asked directly - deny that they are, in fact, lizard people from outer space.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/25/louis-ck-donald-rumsfeld_n_828284.html

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Thanks to my friends here on the JC, I decided to educate myself about the New World Order. Luckily, there is a website, educate-yourself.org, that provides a high level of detail about all the super-secret goals of this organization.

I find that I'm very sympathetic to its population control goals, e.g. reducing the world population to about 1.5 billion, and would very much like to join. However, I can't find the New World Order website, so I don't know where to go to sign up and pay my membership dues.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  5. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I learned some adjudication procedures in the inventory software I'm supposed to be using instead of posting here right now.

6. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    How to calculate limits using the limit laws and continuity.

Ramza likes this.
  7. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Oh, and thanks to Mortimer Snerd I also learned today that pyg is ancient Greek for butt.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    How to formalize the basic assumptions of category theory using standard set theoretic notions.

[​IMG]

9. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I just learn new and more frustrating ways that customers can be annoying sacks of ****.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I learned that Nick Fury appreciates Pulp Fiction.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I learned this from Rogue_Ten 's FB page...

Gerbils will mate for several hours, in frequent short bursts followed by short chases, when the female allows the male to catch her. Once he catches her, the female will squeak and make flick motions to get the male off her.
    meanwhile, fat-tailed gerbils:
    The mating ritual of the fat-tailed gerbil is rather unusual. Both male and female stand on their hind legs and wrestle, making squeaking noise. They never seem to actually bite each other, but they get rather rowdy. If the female is not receptive and the male doesn’t give up, the female will turn and kick bedding at the male. [...] the females can be very aggressive when they are pregnant or nursing pups. They will attack the male, and even kill her mate if he is not housed separately after mating has taken place

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    that first section is really just an excerpt from my dairy

Zapdos and harpua like this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I just learned that Think Geek accepts PayPal.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I learned that there are actual mentally challenged people who....get this...who don't like The Beatles.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think I've learned my monologue for our church's annual Passion Play. Less than a week until opening night, so I'd better have it down by now. Let me see if I can type it from memory. This is Judas, speaking from the grave on the day after the crucifixion:

Have you ever had the best of intentions, only to find out later that you completely misunderstood the situation?

Have you ever hurt someone terribly, and then been too full of shame and pride to ask for forgiveness?

Do you know what it's like to see your own worst enemy staring you in the face every time you look in a mirror?

I do, and I will regret it forever.

I thought I knew what the Messiah was here to do. I wanted to believe that he would sweep away our Roman oppressors, and restore the throne of David to its rightful place in the new and glorious kingdom of Israel. And I was poised to be in the right place at the right time. But he was too busy, healing cripples, dining with tax collectors, and alienating everyone who was in a position to help him.

I was angry at him for not meeting my expectations. He had the power and the popularity to seize control, and instead, he was feeding beggars, and washing feet.

It was bad enough that I forced his hand, just because I was impatient for him to take his rightful place as our Messiah. But when I realized he had no intention of taking over, when he let himself be led away like a lamb to the slaughter -- I tried to stop it! It was never my intention to have him killed!

After he was sentenced, I could have found him in the Roman compound. I could have gone to him at the cross. I had plenty of time and every opportunity to confess my involvement and ask his forgiveness. But I didn't.

I told myself that my treachery was too great, and there could be no forgiveness. But I underestimated his mercy. I underestimated his love. And I know now that he would have forgiven me because it was his plan to die all along. I can see that now. I can see everything!

I limited his intentions and his mercy to the boundaries of my own understanding. And that is my greatest regret.

Mr. K likes this.
  17. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    What Mrs. K and I do in our bedroom is our business, do you understand?!

Sarge - pretty good, man! "Faster, more intense."

Sarge likes this.
  18. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The guy who did the artwork on the original Bazooka Joe comics also did the art for Tijuana Bibles earlier in his career. Work's work, I guess.