main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What He Sees (Bail Organa, Intertrilogy)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by taramidala, Feb 17, 2014.

1. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Just a little something I threw together today. Couldn't get it out of my head.

Title: What He Sees
    Author: taramidala
    Rating: G
    Time Frame: Inter-trilogy. Canon-compliant.
    Disclaimer: All belongs to Lucasfilm Ltd. and the Disney Corporation.

Bail Organa wonders what Sabé sees when she looks at Leia. He wonders if she sees what he does.

Does she see her mother’s grace and intelligence? Does she see her sense of righteousness and duty? Does she put a weapon in her hand and see a crack shot, but one who only shoots when all options are exhausted? Does she retire to her private rooms and weep whenever Leia declares Senator Amidala her hero? Does she see a heart that will die when the galaxy around her falls to pieces?

Can Sabé teach her to overcome those weaknesses? Can she teach her to be strong at all costs, even when those around her fail? Can she teach her never to be afraid, never to give up on those she loves?

Or does Sabé see the father's abilities? Does she become overwhelmed with fear each time the child’s reflexes are quicker than is natural, if she anticipates and reacts faster than the others in the classroom? Does she see his anger? Does she see his rush to judgement, his arrogant impatience and impulsiveness?

Will she reach her breaking point and come to him and say “It’s time.” That she can no longer control the Princess. That Leia’s abilities are beyond their reach.

Does Sabé see what he does?

He sees all of that and more.

She’ll never tell. The stoic and solid former handmaiden stays silent, so long as there is no immediate danger. Bail thinks she’ll go to her grave with enough intel and assessment of them all to fill a small library.

What a thankless task they all have. He, his darling Breha, and Sabé: keepers of a dark and twisted legacy, all in the hopeful embodiment of a child. All they can do is ensure that Leia is looked after, well-protected, and loved.

And when Bail Organa looks at Leia, he can see that, for now at least, she is.

Kahara, AzureAngel2 and Falcon like this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Great piece. I like how you have Sabé as part of Leia's life and how Bail compares his views to what he think she sees.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Brilliant insights & very much in-character. =D= :)

4. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Briannakin: Thanks! That she ended up on Alderaan mentoring Leia is one of my favorite little-known "canon" tidbits.

Nyota's Heart: Thank you!

5. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    It's always interesting to see Leia's early years, which seem to have little canon information and relatively few fanfics. The constant worry that Bail and the rest of the family must have lived with is difficult to think about -- maybe that's why it is seldom written. Being a parent in the GFFA in that time period sounds like pretty much the worst of all possible nightmare fuel, and Leia's adoptive parents must have suffered worse than most knowing that they had so much to lose. I also like the idea of Sabé being one of Leia's teachers, since it's nice to think that there was one piece of continuity between her and Padmé. At least there was someone who was a bit like family to her mother left to watch over her. I've seen Padmé as having a sisterly friendship with her handmaidens, though I can't remember if that's a canon or fanon thing. I like the combination of concern and pride that Bail has in Leia's qualities, seeing the echoes of some extraordinary (and flawed) people that he once knew in this daughter he's raising.

Findswoman likes this.
  6. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Well, gal, you know I loved this. [face_love] Just perfect, perfect, perfect.

7. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Kahara: Thank you so much! I wish it were written more, but I guess I see why it isn't, as well. I may have to work on this. :)

ginchy: Danke, my dear.

8. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Absolutely beautiful! Please forgive me for taking a while to get to this, but I never forgot for one minute ;) I love this piece, I love Bail and I love what can be done with Sabe and this was a wonderful little character piece, very poignant. I think Leia, more than Luke embodies those things from her parents, in ways just like them... Loved seeing Bail aware of that, and all of them fighting the good fight. Great, great job :)

Kahara likes this.
  9. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    serendipityaey: Hey girl! Long time no see! I definitely think there's more to Leia than physical Padmé-comparisons, and having Sabé there to bear witness in addition to the Organas is an untapped goldmine. Thanks so much! :)

serendipityaey likes this.
  10. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Good to see you too! [face_love] I definitely agree, I wish I had the energy to dive into that! Maybe someday. I sooooo want to write how Aala reacts, and what she sees in a growing Leia, and interactions with Sabe too, as they have similar roles. Maybe someday :)

11. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I also just stumbled over this wonderful text. Working in my old job as a kindergarten teacher in Germany again, after being a secondary-school-teacher in the Netherlands for 6 years, I have to deal with more with the parents again. And even if Leia would not be Force-sensitive there would always be worry. For that is what a parent does, whether the child is adopted or not. This worry does NOT come from the dark side, but from the love and genuine concern. Parents want their spouse safe and healthy.

@};-

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  12. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm glad that AzureAngel2 upped this so I could see it as well. This was really lovely and I love the idea of Leia having guardians and mentors who knew Padme. I can't imagine what raising Leia must have been like for them. So joyous but also full of anxiety whenever she showed any sort of ability to use the Force, or her father's temper...they really are the unsung heroes of Star Wars!

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  14. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Love this! Very we'll written and insightful! @};-

15. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    serendipityaey likes this.
  16. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Wow. So much content, so many characters, so many implications in so few words. No wonder this ficlet got a triple nomination, it's simply amazing [face_love]

I hope we get to read more Sabé from you -- Holiday Heritage was another one of your fics I very much enjoyed, and it had very much the same qualities as this one.

Kahara likes this.
  17. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Well, thanks, Chyntuck. That's very kind!

And thanks to all who nominated. I'm flattered and appreciative!

As for whether we'll see Sabé again...never say never. :)

Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  18. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    This is such a lovely piece of insight, bittersweet and poignant. I'm so glad the awards are allowing me to catch up on stories I missed!

Kahara likes this.