main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Human Cloning May Lead To

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Apr 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I was sicked by this interview. They don't care if they make a monster, they can just abort it. Now, I am pro-choice, and that sickens me, they are so callous. And lots of babies adopted from overseas are perfectly normal, are loved by their adoptive parents, and grow up as Americans. These people are so prejudiced and uncaring it makes me sick.

2. Ramius

Ramius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2002
    And lots of babies adopted from overseas are perfectly normal, are loved by their adoptive parents, and grow up as Americans. These people are so prejudiced and uncaring it makes me sick.

Exactly. I had a friend in grade school whose parents adopted a little girl from China, and she wasn't a "health hassard", as these people say it would be. Instead of saving a life by adopting a kid, they are potentially going to kill several babies if they have defects, which they certainly will, given the number of cloning failures in the past.

3. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Exactly. I feel so sickened, and saddened, thinking about this. :(

There are plenty of unwanted children, both in America and other countries. If someday, I am unable to have a child, I would adopt, I would never clone.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Just to clarify a comment from another post, the cells currently in your very own adult body cannot become another full grown human.
    A heart cell could be used to make you a new heart, a lung cell could grow you a new lung, but none of your cells that you have once you are fully grown can be used to make another full grown person.
    Many genetic scientists will tell you there is really no reason to clone a person, non, zippo. There is a strong treatment that can be used against anything that ails you, but these things can be experimented on without making babies.
    The only purpose for cloning a person in full is to be able to say, "I did it!". Otherwise its just not needed.

5. BoutyPunkrAurra

BoutyPunkrAurra Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 21, 2001
    it seems to me that some scientists may be wanting to clone an actual full-grown human simply for the sake of doing it, to prove what they are capable of. i agree with REBECCA here. its sickening how much they dont care about the thing they are creating. i think that if they somehow find it necissary to clone a human, some responsible scientists will be up to the task that care less about themselves and their fame.
    i am glad bush is thinking about putting a permanent ban on human cloning.

6. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    I once again am back at school and have internet access....nice to see that the debate continues. :)

7. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Well, I only think there should be a ban on reproductive clonining. I don't believe embryos are human lives, so I think stem cell research should be allowed, to cure horrible diseases.

8. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Just to clarify a comment from another post, the cells currently in your very own adult body cannot become another full grown human.
    A heart cell could be used to make you a new heart, a lung cell could grow you a new lung, but none of your cells that you have once you are fully grown can be used to make another full grown person.

Actually, VadersLaMent, that's not true at all. Every cell in your body has the full genetic complement that resulted from the fusion of your parents gametes'; it is entirely possible to clone a person from a cell, be it a nose hair cell or a sperm cell. We just don't know how to do it yet.

The focus of the research is learning how to both:

1. Clone like cells from their predecessors, as you stated; heart cells from heart cells, etc.

2. Learn how to revert adult somatic cells to the embryonic stem stage, and then figuring out how to program them to become any cell in the body, thereby avoiding both the debate over 'creating' embryos for destruction and the medical complications that come from allogeneic organ transplants (rejection, etc).

On the issue of their being no 'need' for baby cloning, we are in complete agreement. Unfortunately, it seems some are pursuing this with as much vigor as disease research, and this may really hurt the political 'acceptance' of cloning worldwide, which could result in a total ban, especially here in the US.

Here's to hoping those few come to their senses.

Peace,

V-03

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Oops, I stand corrected after looking things over on various web pages. Talk about dropping the ball.

:(

10. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    It's all good, VadersLaMent

Peace,

V-03

11. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Cloning has its benifits. I mean, abortion is legal in America anyway, so why not learn something from it and cure alot of diseases?

My biggest fear about cloning is that one day there will be a race of clones, and they will be treated as nothing more than slaves. They will be a 2nd class race. We will breed them just to do all of our dirty work and fight our wars for us and to do the jobs we don't want to do. It would be a very sad time if that ever happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.