main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What I do is not up to you." - Wonder Woman 1984

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Why are you questioning the capability of these directors based on their gender? I could see if you were judging their ability based on previous box office duds or complex inexperience, but they don't have that -- Monster was a big success. So you're basically saying that you'd prefer a man because the comics were made by a man and more men have made more successful blockbusters. But did you stop and think why that might be the case?

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm not questioning about their gender, but their past experience and skills on subject like Wonder Woman. That makes me wonder did they get picked for their gender rather than their skills. I don't want to see this movie fail, I want it to boost up.

No, I don't prefer a man, just someone with big budget action blockbuster success especially with female lead, regardless of their gender. Just like I would surely like Kathryn Bigelow to direct a tough tough war/politic drama movie.

Of course, director was not the biggest issue of the previous DCEU movies, so I might think too much of it, sure.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000

Was it NOT!?

The2ndQuest likes this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Zack definitely had some issues. But the biggest problem, I think it's the overall project direction WB had went.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Russo Brothers only really had TV sitcoms to their directing resume before they were handed The Winter Soldier. Almost ditto with Peyton reed and Ant-Man. Colin Trevorrow effectively went from being an SNL intern and directing an expanded student film to directing Jurassic World and Star Wars Episode IX. Gareth Edwards went from a low budget film to directing Godzilla and Rogue One. James Gunn did Toma films and B-movies before Guardians of the Galaxy. James Wan did pretty much only mid0level horror films until Furious 7.

Genre and scale doesn't necessarily matter when recruiting talent for a film. Their take or perspective on the material can be equally important.

Uh, the overall direction was based on Zack's direction/vision.

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, no doubt there were successful ones. But DC doesn't have someone like Kevin Feige. Nor is Wonder Woman comparable to Jurassic Park/SW IP. Most of DC's successful movies came from a very experienced director. Tim Burton and Nolan for example. I prefer someone with successful past and experience to handle it.

Like the project BVS?

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nolan primarily did Memento and Insomnia before Batman Begins. Both of which were relatively small films. Burton did Pee-wee & Beetlejuice. Not exactly big budget action blockbusters. And stretching back 27 years to look for an example doesn't really support a pattern.

WB is a more director-oriented studio so giving directors breaks shouldn't seem unusual. You're right that they don't have a Feige but that's been their problem in terms of establishing a unified universe (and, at least in the case of Suicide Squad, seemingly interfered with the director).

I don't know what you are asking.

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I never liked BB much, Batman was also a much easier IP to handle as well. Back then, Burton's works were not far from the budget of the first Batman.

They didn't seem to give Michelle MacLaren such freedom to do so and that's why they have parted away. Of course I'm just QQing, we shall wait to see how does this movie go.

Was BVS his idea? Also before him, Green Lantern had failed miserably.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't know the precise events as they pertain to Snyder and the BVS idea other than the overall DCEU was based on his vision as proposed with MOS1 and carried through to MOS2, which was then turned into BVS after MOS1's not-TDK reception. They've claimed they had the idea battinga round (no pun intended) but how they plays out in regards to it being Snyder's choice or not I can't say.

However, given BVS's key role in launching the greater DCEU, leading to Snyder's own JL film(s), then, yes, I think we can blame him for the overall idea and the execution (theatrical cuts notwithstanding but characterization issues still).

Those concerns still remain above the director level, though. That level of oversight isnt necessarily required for selecting a director so long as they've shown themselves to be competent and possessing a relevant vision or take on the material.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    2ndQuest, just watch. He and sinister will argue like only two people on the spectrum can argue. And not with each other, either. Mentions of Brainiac as a better villain will happen; sinister will have esoteric comic book pages that terrify us, and slowpoke will be desperate to discuss whether an English actress of "Underworld" fame was, age wise, a more appropriate choice for Wonder Woman.

It's the beginning of the end.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, as a preemptive precaution, let us try not to sidetrack discussion onto BVS and remain focused on WW.

heels1785 and Ender Sai like this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Because to me, the biggest problem was the project BVS itself, especially being installed as the 2nd piece of DCEU, with just MOS to support it, there were just too much to cover and settle. It's just too rushed and MOS was ok as a superhero origin movie overall. I think their idea was not just to settle for JL, but use this clash to make big money as well, which didn't do so. And I seriously doubt it was just Zack's own idea rather than from the WB executives.

I believe none of them had expected that DCEU needs to rely on Wonder Woman to turn the tide and gain positive review. But here we are...

As for WW, it's not that hard to create a good origin story for her. I like the 2009 animated film a lot, it didn't go with real war and didn't push too hard on feminism, instead show us that both genders need to understand and work with each other.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I wasn't planning to. Anyway, a lot of directors that go on to direct big budget films come from smaller backgrounds as noted. Hell, Richard Donner had mostly directed television before landing "The Omen" and then the first two "Superman" films.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Slowpoke is making a terrible argument in a stupid way?

Well smack my arse and call me Donald.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Soooooooo... remember what we said about them intentionally muting colors? Welp, here's proof...

TRAILER SHOT

[​IMG]

EW PROMO SHOT (Same filmed sequence)

[​IMG]

That's pretty ridiculous, no matter how much we're looking forward to the movie...

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Eh, it's not a deal breaker.

18. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    There are people who are looking forward to this movie?

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    don't all the dc films have that muted look?

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    *raises hand*

22. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I'd be cautious about passing judgment before seeing the movie. For all we know, the sword scene may happen at night, even though they may have shot it in daylight in order to gain the most information for color grading...

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I don;t find it ridiculous at all, because ^

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... then why keep putting out promo shots that are lit gorgeously? :p

25. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    To showcase the richness of the sets and the attention to detail, maybe? Sort of like they did in The Lord of the Rings, where they even embroidered the lining of the capes, just in case a shot happened to pick it up.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.