main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What I do is not up to you." - Wonder Woman 1984

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think it would kill the dramatic impact of the first movie if they bring him back though.

Sarge and Rew like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't need to say anything more, do I?

[​IMG]

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Predictable as it may have been to everyone (... well, aside from Rylo Ken): the sequel is a GO.

Jedi Ben and heels1785 like this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The video that this still originated from is really great. Ezra and Ben also were great with the little girl.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
  6. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
  7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I have a hard time seeing Wonder Woman making any major splash in awards season.

8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, at most I see it getting some technical noms.

heels1785 likes this.
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Avatar got nominated for Best Director and Best Picture. Avatar is a mediocre film with great visual effects.

Anything is possible. Not likely, but possible.

darth-calvin likes this.
  10. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Settle down, Warners. You made a good superhero movie and we're all proud of you, but don't let this go to your head. WW is just "good."

I'd kinda like to see Hugh Jackman get an Oscar nod, though. Best genre performance since Ledger.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    As simply put by Patty Jenkins in her response to Cameron's comments, he's not a woman.

One of the biggest reasons as to why Wonder Woman is the biggest box office success for a superhero origin story is that it fills a void in the male dominated superhero genre as wells as being a symbol for the feminist movement ever since she graced the cover of Gloria Steinem's "Ms." magazine.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    @ james cameron

[​IMG]

15. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Cameron may not be a woman, but his appraisal should at least be respected, as his Sarah Connor and Ellen Ripley are far more multi-layered heroines than the live-action Wonder Woman. In fact, no American genre filmmaker has managed Cameron's feat in merging stoicism and intelligence with vulnerability and maternalism.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Cameron needs to find better ways to promote his 17 Avatar sequels that are coming out in 2035. This is getting ridiculous.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i thought jenkins addressed this in her comments. she showed deference to cameron and was basically just saying it's great to have strong, complicated, troubled female characters but at the same time they shouldn't always have to be, any more than iconic male characters.

18. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Wonder Woman is just a superhero movie, herself is just a comic superhero, no need to ask too much like feminism symbol. It was a fine movie, it turned the tide of DCEU, it's good enough.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Cameron appears to be arguing unless a female character is not flawed or broken in some way, it's not realistic or that it's a bad fit for a heroine. In effect it's the Superman critique flipped onto Wonder Woman - she's too perfect, she's boring etc.

I like Jenkins riposte that there's no reason for it to be either-or, both kinds of characters can be accommodated easily.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I know there are words in that post. I even know they are in English. I know what each words mean. But I don't understand that post.

Edit: that was to Slowpoke, not Ben

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Cheers DI.

Edit: Also you just know the Git Snowflake Brigade will go nuts over the statement that Cameron can't understand the character in the way women have. Now that's quite a subtle statement about how people perceive things and what can and can't be shared but it'll get lost in all the carping.

22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Wonder Woman is a good role model, but not a particularly interesting character.

I have the same opinion of Superman and Captain America.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't have a particular problem with Cameron's comments, however, there is an issue with women characters being perceived as "too perfect" or "not flawed enough" more than men characters. I don't think Cameron has different standards for male and female characters regarding how "flawed" they have to be based on his comments, but when the carping happens, that might be a legitimate reason behind it. Statistically, how often is the term "Mary Sue" used as opposed to the term Gary or Marty Stu?

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Most just use Mary Sue, regardless of gender, because that name was used first and has been used often for both genders.

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    not saying it doesn't happen, but from personal experience i have never once heard "mary sue" used to describe a male character,

anakinfansince1983 likes this.