main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What I do is not up to you." - Wonder Woman 1984

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    We've seen tons of these female leading action movies such as Tomb Raider. Are they all better than Cameron' heroine, especially on feminism and characterization? Wonder Woman isn't different other than it was a big name and has bigger budget/special effect.

No, it simply serves one purpose, to make money.

2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Well, if I can't convince you that there's more than only 2 female narratives, and that Ripley is not the same as Wonder Woman, who is not the same as Tomb Raider, who is not the same as Atomic Blonde.

Then I guess there's no point discussing any further.

Also, I take it you hated Captain America: The First Avenger and the Rocketeer as well.

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't hate them, I just don't think they are super awesome compare to the quality of Cameron's top works.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Learn from darth sinister's mistakes and don't engage!

FatBurt, cerealbox and Juliet316 like this.
  5. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    cerealbox: I wouldn't liken Ripley and Sarah to the "final girls" of the slasher subgenre. Simply put, they're the sort of protagonists one would find in the decidedly more grounded, genre masterpieces in Hollywood history. Think Robert Duvall in THX-1138. Or Roy Scheider in Jaws. Or Christopher Walken in The Dead Zone. Three-dimensional characters with interior lives and frailties and arcs. Wonder Woman, as you stated, conforms more to an archetypal, Hero's Journey construct. Superman, Luke Skywalker, etc.

And while the Hero With a Thousand Faces has his/her place--and Jenkins and Gadot deserved their accolades for providing a commendable personage --I feel Cameron, who gave so much more, deserves a say in the Wonder Woman debate, regardless of gender.

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I still wish to see what do they plan for the sequel, even Sarah Connor wasn't action heroine in the first one.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    a. Nobody cares, and
    b. that has nothing to do with Wonder Woman, stop ruining the thread with your awfulness.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Why didn't they let Lynda Carter to play a cameo role?

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Lynda Carter said she had a scheduling conflict, but it rumored to be in talks for the sequel.

Sarge, Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    After seeing Keaton's performance in the new Spider Man, I really wish to see Lynda play a role in the future WW movie.

Too bad for Reeve, he didn't deserve such fate at all.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    So I've watched my digital copy twice now. I so love this movie. Like a fat kid loves cake, truly. Or in my case, like a fat kid loves chinese food.

But, I have noticed one thing that I didn't catch in the theater.

There is some CGI in the battle with the Germans on the Themysciran beach that is rough. Really, really rough. First instance is when the warrior gets shot behind Diana, while she and Steve are hiding. She looks like a cartoon. Second is Antiope, when she first dismounts her horse - not the three arrows shot (which is awesome), but just before that. Wowzers, bad.

That being said, the CGI in the battle with Ares looks better to me than I remembered it. Doesn't look bad at all, actually - as good as DC and Marvel's standard work.

I really do think that between this film and the spectacular Spiderman: Homecoming, it's already been a good year for comic films. I enjoyed GOTG2 to a certain degree, Logan not as much as others but still good, and I'm sure I will like JL and Thor. However, WW and Spidey both felt like mold-breaking movies, which is why I hold them in high regard. Strong stories, strong characters, and memorable - I feel exactly the same way about both films.

To anyone who is seeing it for the first time, or first time in a while, hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

13. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I got around to finally seeing this and I was mildly disappointed. It's by no means a bad film, it's actually good, but maybe the hype raised expectations too much. Surprisingly to me, it was the direction of this that I found... murky. The action scenes had really poor geography and framing, both in the beginning on the beach and in the various battles along the way. Lots of characters on the edges seemingly doing nothing (often with guns and not shooting, all waiting their turn to get knocked out) and the execution of bullet blocking with the bracelets wasn't really convincing. Was she reacting with Flash/Superman-like superspeed? Were they magnetic? The CGI, or rather the compositing of real actors against digital matte paintings, was really horrid in some shots, and seemed really unnecessary too. Ares was a bit of a disappointment too.

The writing is pretty good though and definitely the strongest element, with some great choices and nice dialogue. When the story arrives in Belgium I felt it slump a bit though and then the sheer randomness of the reveal at the end makes it seem like they just created the twist for the sake of it. And the battle between them turned into a generic back and forth fight that we've seen countless times before and reminded me too much of BvS.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  15. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    redxavier: Agreed. Wonder Woman isn't a genre classic, but did what it had to do: (1) Serve as a respectable introduction to the last of the truly iconic comic book superheroes, (2) open doors for female filmmakers and (3) supplant Zach Snyder's dour and cumbersome approach with something decidedly vibrant. Its success was as vital as Batman Begins and hopefully, like Nolan's franchise, there's a better sequel waiting in the wings.

Rew, Ghost and laurethiel1138 like this.
  16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    lol @ Batgirl + Supergirl -- much better than the boys...

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Even better!

Amazing...

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, the part in the Honest Trailer where the villains do that "evil laugh" after tossing that gas canister stick out like a sore thumb.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The final boss fight sticks out like a bloody arm stump in comparison. I wanted to give this 5 stars. I really did. But it's only getting 4...maybe 4.5.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Hopefully Professor Marston & the Wonder Women will prove to be a more entertaining origin story. It opens in less than a month.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I give Wonder Woman about 4 out of 5, but probably my favorite comic book film of the year, so far, beating out Spider-Man: Homecoming and Logan.

In other Wonder Woman news...

AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. Alum Adrianne Palicki Reflects On That Failed WONDER WOMAN Pilot

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Logan is loads better, and SM:H is slightly better.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Disagree, neither had Greek mythology in it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, and neither of them had an island of only women.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, VadersLaMent and Juliet316 like this.