main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What I do is not up to you." - Wonder Woman 1984

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, on the plus side of the music, we have some... potentially disturbing downside (bound to cause not at all any internet explosion)...

In this, supposed Zeus -- and Zeus alone -- creates the Amazons, to stop his son -- Ares. So in this universe, the prime raping god creates the Amazons, vs. every other incarnation where the female Greek gods create the women. And they didn't even change it to just having Artemis (who has beef with Ares) doing it... no, it's Zeus. Which is sort of the worst-possible simplification of Wonder Woman's Nu52 origin.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wonder-woman-plot-details-first-act/

I'm 100% certain that women will be totally fine with having a badass race of women, who were created by women for women for 75 years, changed to be created by a man to deal with a man. What could possibly go wrong here...

To be fair, there were some problematic issues involving Hercules and rape/rape apologists in the early (Golden/Silver Age) versions of the Amazons... but this doesn't help.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    "potentially disturbing"

[​IMG]

things that are actually disturbing:
    donald trump
    the state of syria
    world hunger
    terrorism
    the state of education
    abusive family members
    poverty
    racism and religious persecution
    climate change
    lack of opportunity for the poor

things that are not disturbing
    wonder woman's origins in a movie

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You're right. Nothing that happens in Hollywood has any impact on societal norms.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Right. After watching a movie featuring an independent powerful woman kicking ass for two hours straight, our society is likely to crumble in chaos when viewers leave the theater and the only thing they remember is a detail in her origin story not featuring the correct greek god.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They're changing the origin that I (and probably 95% of people) didn't know to begin with?

That's it, I'm boycotting.

FUDCEU!

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Pretty much. Only the comic book fan world knows about that. It isn't a deal breaker.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, comic fanboys reading the Wonder Woman Rebirth series know that the character herself doesn't really know her origin story as it may or may not retcon the New52 origin as of the last issue I read, which IIRC is #11. Wonder Woman's origin has been told 3 times in the last five plus years with the New52, Earth One and Rebirth; four if we count the upcoming film.

The film will probably be the definite Wonder Woman origin story for most people. Which is not a bad thing. I mean, Dick Donner's Superman: The Movie was and still is my definitive Superman origin story.

I read a headline yesterday (I didn't read the article to avoid spoilers), that there's an action sequence in Wonder Woman that many Marvel films would envy. Of course, I let my imagination run wild on what that could be.

Diggy likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I read the description of that scene. It didn't sound all that, but I'll blame the writer of the description.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The problematic aspect is not Diana's origin (which has changed like five times in the last 20 years like the rest of DC), but the change in the Amazons themselves. Also, you're all men, which is nice... (I'll give Diggy the benefit of the doubt :p )

10. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Honestly, if they changed the origin story, it wouldn't shock me. I mean, Athena, the original warrior goddess (and goddess of wisdom, and known opponent of Ares), was actually born of Zeus's skull cleaved in half by Hephaistos because he ate her pregnant mother, Metis, fearing that her child would be a son that would topple him like he did his own father, Kronos.

The Greek mythology is full of strange stories like that, some of them contradictory because the tale grew in the telling and different versions emerged. If Diana's character arc is satisfying, I can overlook what is, in the end, a minor point.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I will offer you no such benefit, sir! :mad:

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    So Zeus, with a dying wish, created an army of fierce, powerful women to combat the one god, so powerful that he alone had killed all of the other greek gods, and mortally wounded the mighty Zeus.

I still don't see how this is, in any way, a slight towards women.

If the Amazons had been changed to an army of men in the film, and Diana started the film as their servant or something, I could see the issue.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, the studio and the director, Patty Jenkins, invited members of the media a meet and greet a few days ago and I read a few write ups of the event and I'm liking what I'm hearing about the influences Jenkins used in approaching Wonder Woman, namely Dick Donner's Superman.

Here's some the quotes from Jenkins that stood out to me:

From Collider:
    From IGN:
    And what I love about these quotes from Jenkins is that they're the opposite from what Zack Snyder typical says like, "I thought it would be cool to do..." or Superman is a god and should be treated a such. Whereas Jenkins is taking the approach of not would be cool but rather how to service the character and make the character relatable so that anyone could stand on their couch as say I am Wonder Woman.

And the footage of the trailer shows the influence of Donner's Superman:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As such, I have high hopes for Wonder Woman and I hope it does not disappoint as it could be this generation's Dick Donner's Superman: The Movie.

14. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    As one for whom Superman: The Movie (and its immediate sequel) did for me as a kid what it did for Patty Jenkins (and apparently her son too), even more than the Star Wars films, my hype level for Wonder Woman just went even more through the roof.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Superman: The Movie is and will always be my favorite all time comic book movie. It did hit me the same way Star Wars hit me and alot of other people.

I also came across this article this morning that Wonder Woman will have an R-Rated version for home video.

Wonder Woman Could Receive an R-Rated Director’s Cut

Which seems logical. As I understand, if the film depicts blood splattering that's enough cause to earn an R-rating as evidenced by The Wolverine film. I refer to this rule as the "Mortal Kombat blood code" for Sega Genesis rule.

Rew likes this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    So the WW film will be inspired by a film about a guy? dp4m is all [face_plain]

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

lol, a guy (with a fetish) created Wonder Woman. If you think that's the complaint, I don't know what to tell you. :p

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    "An elf or a dog or whatever" needs to be the tagline.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    A guy and a couple of women.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, two guys and two women if you want to get technically correct (which we all know is the best kind of correct!)...

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The 2 main sources of input on Wonder Woman were the 2 women... both of whom were staunch feminists... one of whom was the daughter and niece of the founders of what would become Planned Parenthood. The man involved also wrote countless articles about how the planet would be better served run by women and advocated for a woman to be POTUS as early as 1935.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    This is what happens when everybody reads that book about Wonder Woman that's supposed to be super-good, but all only remember certain bits.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It really is super-good. I did my graduate thesis on the propaganda agenda creation of Wonder Woman via Marston's 2 (actually 3... the other being Margaret Sanger) live-in suffragettes and that book would have been a one stop goldmine, instead of all of the research I did. I have read that book 9 times through, thus far.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Wow, nine times is crazy. I've been wanting to get to it, but I haven't. But nine times? I may have to prioritize it a little higher.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

What book are you guys referring to?