main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What I do is not up to you." - Wonder Woman 1984

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    It's reassuring that Jenkins is emulating Superman: The Movie. Noble, romantic, infectiously funny. What's good for the Last Son of Krypton is good for the Princess.

I'm really pulling for this movie. I mean, DC's bound to get it right at some point, right? Law of averages? Even the fetid Friday the 13th franchise managed to churn out a halfway decent entry (i.e., Part 6: Jason Lives).

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Sith_Sensei__Prime - The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore. Brilliant scholarship.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, yeah, I forgot it was Lepore that wrote it. I guess that's why I was putting it off. I had a really negative experience with her previous book, Book of Days. But that was kind of very purposely written to be obtuse, I think, to mimic the Revolutionary War Era documents Lepore was researching. I would imagine a book on Wonder Woman would be more accessible.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

Thanks! I'll look for this at one of my local libraries. However, it's doubtful I'll read it 9 times. :p

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

A++. Looks like a winner.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    New trailer!

Holy ****, color! And looks like they're going with the Nu52 origin, which makes sense...

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    get off my lawn, dp

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

What, it looks amazing!

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i was just joshin ya for coming in second place in the race to post the kickass trailer

glad you enjoyed it!

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I literally loaded the page, saw nothing there, got the link, and you'd posted in the interim. :p

At this point, it may be Lucy-and-the-football again, but this looks really good...

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [face_laugh] "Please put the sword down."

Yeah, been there, done that.

[face_rofl]

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  13. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    DC outrage is in demand.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    "Gadot has yet to respond to the controversy"

Good, because it's ****ing stupid :)

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Finally saw a (the?) trailer before BatB on Tuesday. Damn it looks good. I love her theme music so much.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

I'm just waiting for the advance tickets to go online.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This is probably my second most anticipated film of the summer behind Dunkirk. It has a lot riding on it, but since I really liked BvsS, I'll most likely really enjoy this one regardless of hype.

20. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I actually have enjoyed the main DC movies.

- Man of Steel was pretty good.. it at least managed to make the usually boring Superman interesting. It's easily my favorite live action superman film... Superman 2 was ok for it's time.. but the rest of them are awful.
    - Batman vs Superman I actually pretty enjoyable..... .Affleck was surprisingly great. Unfortunately I do think Eisenberg was a mistake and including Doomsday was kind of dumb (Doomsday's design was bad)... but I do like a lot of the film. I love the inclusion of plot elements from the fabulous "The Dark Knight Returns"

Personally I'd rather watch a somewhat flawed, but ambitious film like Batman vs Superman than lazy dreck like Iron Man 3.

Not that I hate Marvel.. I enjoy several of their films as well.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Ya know, I've actually enjoyed and watched Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice more than Iron Man 3.

One of the YouTube pundits that I frequency watch, Jon Campea, thinks that Wonder Woman will be the first DCEU film that scores higher than 75% on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't think that's a far fetch idea. And I hope that's the case.

I remember a few years ago when the first footage of Guardian of the Galaxy leaked online featuring Rocket and Groot and there was this tweet:

[​IMG]

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm no fan of Iron Man 3, but at least it has a sense of humor about itself. The big climactic sequence in IM3 is probably about as bad as the big climactic sequence in BvS, but there's a lot of prime Shane Black fun in IM3 that makes it enjoyable enough viewing. And it's also basically an hour shorter.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

I won't argue that B v S really needed some editing... like there was zero reason to leave that dream sequence thing in there. I'm 100% sure that confused the crap out of anyone who isn't a comic book geek (I had to google what the hell was going on..... didn't ruin the movie for me, but really should have been cut).... andyeah, I think Doomsday could have been handled much better (it's like.. ok random new super enemy at the end!)

This is probably just a different strokes thing... but I actually really like the (somewhat) more serious super hero movies. Like I really enjoyed Captain America Civil War because I really enjoy the whole idea of "what if these superheroes were real... what would be the public reaction/societal impact?' Several of the x-men films have done a nice job touching on that as well. And of course the (great) Nolan Batman films.

They do need to find a way to get more funny/light moments with Cavill..... Affleck I thought was fine (and maybe it's easier for Batman... who's always one for dark/gallows humor) , but Cavill always does seem fairly serious and dour.

As an aside - I did really like the first Iron Man... I felt it did a nice job of taking itself seriously enough while also having fun.

Gadot was good (granted in a limited role) in BvS so I think the Wonder Woman film could be quite good. Her accent works well with the character and makes her seem more like someone who really is from a different/exotic place.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'd agree that Iron Man 3 is a better overall film than Batman v. Superman, but it's the fan service/"inside baseball" stuff that has me rewatching BvS.

Dawn of Justice is a "dense" film (double entendre intended). On one hand, the film suffers from the weight of trying to hold elements of multiple story lines in one film, such as, The Dark Knight Returns, The Death of Superman, Injustice: Gods Among Us, New Gods, etc., that it collapses onto itself and on the other hand, it gives fanboys like myself much to dissect and digest; much like the Star Wars prequels. What I mean is, you can see what BvS was trying to accomplish as it was very ambitious, but just couldn't pull it off. So when I watch BvS I see the potential of the film and the world building of the DCEU. Additionally, I appreciate the fact that this is the first cinematic appearance of Wonder Woman, as well as the first cinematic meeting of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman; the comic book trinity. There's something wonderful and noteworthy of that.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  25. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Even though I'm not a huge comic book person you are getting at exactly what I liked about it. I really liked that they were trying to do all those ambitious things (although they probably should have dialed it back just a bit... to make it more coherent).