What I found on eBay: Part 2

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Zoom_Cthooga, Aug 13, 2006.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. cyodarun Retired RMFF CR

star 4
  2. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    So the whole Jedi patience thing would probably come in really handy when bidding for something on eBay. I know the best strategy is to wait and bid at the last minute... but there are already 3 bids (from 2 people) for something I want, and I really keep wanting to just go ahead and bid, even though it isn't over for another 3 hrs 48min. I guess maybe I just want to be doing something, which gets back to the whole patience thing.

The one thing in my favor is that the other two bidders are from France and the UK. Maybe their timezones and schedules will be off far enough that they won't be around when the bidding closes. Or maybe I'll be able to just outbid them, without going too high. [face_praying]
  3. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    2.5 hours to go, and now there's a third bidder in play. Since it's another person from the UK, my hopes of the timezone making a difference may be in vain. OTOH, it looks like bidder #1 hasn't come back yet, and bidder #2 only put in the min bid since the bid price didn't automatically go up more than one step. Of course, they may ALL be waiting for the last minute before putting in higher bids.
  4. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Keep in mind that they're 7-8 hours ahead of us, so you still might have a chance. They might be asleep. Or at least groggy.

My only tip is that when the time comes, bid the highest amount that you're willing to pay in one final killing blow. Don't waste your time bidding an extra dollar here and there -- go straight for the kill. Worst case scenario is that you end up paying the top amount that you were willing to pay.

Although, I guess the other worst case scenario is that you don't get it. But at least the other person had to pay out the arse for it.
  5. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    Eeeeeeee!!! [face_dancing][face_dancing] I won! I am soon to be the proud owner of a RotJ Leia DDC Defender Blaster resin prop! :D

Yep, the final killing blow strategy makes the most sense. I knew that was what I was suppose to do... it was just that I was feeling anxious, and I wanted to be doing something other than sitting, waiting to swoop in and outbid for the item. As it turned out, I wasn't able to be online when the auction ended, so I had to input my highest amount about an hour ahead of time. I guess either the other bidders were groggy, or else they didn't want to pay more for it.

*squee* I'm gonna have a Princess Leia blaster! [face_love]
  6. cyodarun Retired RMFF CR

star 4
    I love ninja bids :cool: Congrats on your very cool win.
  7. SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR

star 7
    Congrats! My new Lady Death statue came in today. She has eyeballs? They are ruby red jewels. It was a SD comic con exclusive! Yeah me!
  8. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    Yep, I am happy. I wasn't originally planning to do the Leia Endor Trooper costume, but now that I am, I need a blaster for it. :D

Cool catch on the SDCC exclusive! It sounds very pretty with the red eyes.
  9. ArchaicRebel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  10. RubberDuckTape Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    wow, I need to make a costume this awesome and sell it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Halo-3-Spartan-Master-Chief-Armor-Costume-Helmet-Suit_W0QQitemZ170148309645QQihZ007QQcategoryZ60361QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but the link is too long, so you need to copy paste. :p
  11. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    I while ago I mentioned elsewhere that I was less than happy with the quality of the Leia blaster I won on eBay. I guess I was naive to expect really good quality like I'm use to seeing from you guys, but I don't know what level is generally acceptable for props like this on Ebay. I finally got around to posting a few pictures of some of the issues: holes in the trigger guard, holes and messed up underside of the barrel and the overall crooked nature of the full length. I'm trying to decide what to post for feedback- whether to say it's ok but not great, or if this falls under poor quality and low feedback. What do you guys think?
  12. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    That's just poor quality. I'd see if they'd swap it out, otherwise I'd request a return and refund. That bent means they pulled it out of the mould too early and it sagged while setting. Also looks like they knew nothing of casting because you have to vibrate the bubbles out.

Sorry to see you got such a crummy piece.
  13. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    *sigh* That's what I was afraid of, but I had doubts because I'd also heard that poor quality (compared to the standards we have) isn't unusual for something like this.

Problem is, I've been so distracted by other things that I let this slide a long time. It's been over a month, and if I were going to complain and ask for an exchange, I should have done so earlier. *sigh* Well, I'm still going to give it a try. And if he doesn't get me a better copy, I'll have to leave bad feedback for the poor quality.

Thanks for the opinion. I knew it was poor quality, but I didn't have a frame of reference for what was considered acceptable.

edit: Well, my message has been sent. I asked if it would be possible to exchange for a cast of better quality. We'll see how they respond.
  14. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh WOW. That's worse than I thought. That's probably a 4th generation recast. But that might just be me being optimistic. [face_plain] There's better detail on the action figure pistol. [face_frustrated]
  15. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    Got a message back from the person today. They apologized for the quality and admitted that the mold was getting old and they'd probably pushed it too far. I'll be sending it back for a refund. They said they'd let me know when they get a new mold.

*sigh* well, good thing I wasn't in a huge hurry to get that Endor Leia commando costume finished, I guess.
  16. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hey, before you do that, take a hojillion pictures of it with a ruler sitting next to it? Maybe even on top of some graph paper with dark, heavy lines...spaced 1/2" or so. So long as it's readable?
  17. Darth_Tofu Force Ghost

star 4
    I found the CD I just bought last week for 18 dollars, on ebay for like 81 bucks
  18. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    Hah. You're in luck. I was suppose to send it back today, and just saw your post right now. Lucky for you I forgot to find a box and couldn't send it today.

Graph paper. *squint* Huh. I'll have to see if I can find some. My lab notebook has graph paper, but it's not full 8.5x11. I'll see what I can do. At the very least I'll take pictures next to a ruler.
  19. jthornto Force Ghost

star 4
  20. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  21. darth_hair Force Ghost

star 5
    http://www.westerfieldstudios.com/index.html

what the hell is this?
  22. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    Dunno, but I'd rather not have a DC-15 in 4 heavy resin pieces. I would prefer something lightweight that doesn't shatter if dropped. Saw that happen with a E-11 with a resin kit this last weekend. heartbreaking it was. :(
  23. PIMP_BOT Force Ghost

star 2
    This is so cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rat-Havic-Zack-Morris-Saved-by-the-Bell-warhol-bayside_W0QQitemZ7306528444QQihZ003QQcategoryZ551QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
  24. darth_hair Force Ghost

star 5
    who unbanned that guy?

check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/huge-star-wars-darth-hair-bow-cute-kitsch-diy-emo_W0QQitemZ230194344327QQihZ013QQcategoryZ50659QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem
  25. LadyoftheMandalore Force Ghost

star 4
Moderators: DieWompRatDie