main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What I Intend to Do about Getting the Original Versions of the OT on DVD

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Binary_Sunset, Sep 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    That is precisely why we MUST flood Lucas with letters. If he doesn't intend to preserve the original movies, then it is UP TO US to change his mind.

If not us, then who?

2. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    I must admit, the OT and Indiana Jones series are very high on my must-have DVD list. It's a little disconcerting that Lucas is behind both these series, and doesn't appear to be showing a whole lot of interest in putting them out anytime soon.

Of coarse the TPM DVD looks rather nice, but look how long it took for that to come out. If I have to wait any longer for these series, I'm gonna go crazy! ;)

/end rant.

3. paraquem

paraquem Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2000
    Excellent thread Binary Sunset,

A couple of thoughts & queries on this topic -

1) I'm sure I heard somewhere (can't be specific unfortunately) that Lucas is actively involved in film archiving & restoration (much along the same lines as Martin Scorsese). Is that right, or am I just blowin' smoke? Because of that, I can't help but wonder if he would really disregard completely the OT as originally presented, regardless of his disatisfaction with elements of it. These were the biggest films of their time - I have trouble believing that they wouldn't be preserved as they were originally (even if only for a private archive).

2) Regarding the SE's as definitive versions - does anyone really buy this anyway? Even outside of the reports of further work being done to the OT for an archival edition, could any of us really imagine GL would not tinker, or drastically change even, the OT films from their SE versions? Even a cursory look at the SE's screams out "transitory".

3) Restoration of the OT film materials for SE additions surely would not negate/destroy a "cleaned-up" version of non-altered OT films, would it? Does it seem too "out-there" to think that a pristine print of the OT lies in a vault somewhere? In addition to that, didn't we have a report somewhere that talked about the OT being digitized frame-by-frame to make any furhter alterations easier? If this is correct, then by definition we have a permanised version of the OT which could be turned into a DVD without too much grief (relatively speaking).

I wouldn't argue for an original version to appear at the expense or exclusion of any other version - we just want the original somewhere in a set, don't we? No biggie really. Again, I can't understand why a filmmaker would abandon completely a set of films beloved by a great number of people - and historically important in film terms. The appearance of a non-altered OT does not prevent (in any way shape or form) the further alteration or tinkering with of the films to tie into the PT more effectively. It just lets us see the original presentation of a wonderful idea. No shame in that.

4) I too am thinking of going the definitive laserdisc route, and would like to ask a couple of questions of you guys. If I bought the definitive set from EBay at some point, should I expect difficulties playing it over here in the UK? I'm sure I saw copies of this set for sale in Glasgow's Tower Records years ago, but the copies on Ebay are all US copies I would imagine. Can anyone give me any practical advice on that - it'd be much appreciated. How easy is it too get a laserdisc player these days (outside of EBay that is?)

5) A suggestion (& one which I can't believe i'm making). Being in agreement with the thrust of this thread - ie. making Lucasfilm aware of the fact that a sizable number of SW fans/ enthusiasts would dearly like to have the OT films in permanent form (as we experienced them first time around), couldn't we find some way of collating this wish into something other than disparate letters (not trying to offend you by saying that Binary Sunset - I think it's laudable that you've done something positive about seeing your wish realised).

I'm assuming that Lucasfilm scours the larger SW fan sites (didn't they force the takedown of some Ep2 dialogue?). Making a big assumption that the people who run these sites would like to have the original OT in DVD form as well, couldn't they be approached about getting some sort of a suggestion/petition to Lucasfilm type of thing put up. Personally, I think it would be a more positive avenue (and more realsitic) than the recent spate of "make the new films fit our preconceptions better" editorials and the like. What do you guys think about something of that nature? Am I in cloud-cuckoo land on that?

Who knows, maybe outside of the rhetoric, Lucasfilm are already going to do something of this nature - a multi-version release (I certainly wouldn't complain one iota at having to pay extra to have a pristine copy of the original OT). That really would be the ultima

4. quinlan-vos

quinlan-vos Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2001
    Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I really enjoy watching the OT over the SE. Though there are many new SE things I like, there are some things that replaced the OT version which are horribly depressing to be forced in watching. :(
    One thing I want to warn people, is if you buy the OT on bootleg on EBAY, ask questions. I'd recommend buying from people who have VIEWED their films, and not those who sell "factory sealed." I got some factory sealted ones from a Singapore guy, and 2 of the 3 were crap. ANH had features that didn't work, and the end of the movie got poor picture. ESB was fine until the lightsaber battle and the audio didn't sync right. My warning to those potential DVD buyers, be carefull!

5. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I'd write to Lucas but I guess I'm just not passionate enough about it all.

6. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Cbjedi, I am open to all options for getting my hands on a good-quality widescreen DVD of the original 1977 Star Wars movie. I hope GL will make them available himself; but if I have to, I'll go bootleg.

7. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Paraquem, thank you for your excellent post!

You wrote: "Being in agreement with the thrust of this thread - ie. making Lucasfilm aware of the fact that a sizable number of SW fans/ enthusiasts would dearly like to have the OT films in permanent form (as we experienced them first time around), couldn't we find some way of collating this wish into something other than disparate letters (not trying to offend you by saying that Binary Sunset - I think it's laudable that you've done something positive about seeing your wish realised).

I'm assuming that Lucasfilm scours the larger SW fan sites (didn't they force the takedown of some Ep2 dialogue?). Making a big assumption that the people who run these sites would like to have the original OT in DVD form as well, couldn't they be approached about getting some sort of a suggestion/petition to Lucasfilm type of thing put up. Personally, I think it would be a more positive avenue (and more realsitic) than the recent spate of "make the new films fit our preconceptions better" editorials and the like. What do you guys think about something of that nature?"

Now that is a very good idea. I am, as of this moment, putting that in my thinking cap. Let me think about this for a few days. Maybe we could ask TF.N to devote part of their site to an online petition (or something) for the original versions of the OT on DVD.

That said, I would not want to neglect our letter writing. The more we do, the better. I've heard that one of the most impressive things to big corporations is getting a bunch of hand-written letters asking for the same thing. This sort of letter shows that people really care and are willing to devote some time to getting what they want.

So let's do both!

8. KongZilla

KongZilla Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
    The other day while I was perusing the DVD section at my local store, I noticed that both "The Abyss" and "Brazil" have alternate versions of the films in the same package. "The Abyss" has the original theatrical release and the SE. And "Brazil" has a beautiful "Director's Cut" and the horrible TV cut (Just to show how bad it was.) I've also read that "Blade Runner" is having another DVD release. Maybe this will also have both versions. My DVDs of "Mystery Science Theater 3000" have the films with witty comments from Mike, Tom & Crow and the original uncut versions of each awful movie they make fun of.

So, my point is, this whole idea of having two versions of the same film in one DVD package is not unheard of.

On the other hand George's buddy Steven Spielberg recently released "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" on DVD and only gives you the option of watching his new "Director's Cut" (*Spoiler* No spaceship interior at the end. *End Spoiler*) The cut scenes are available for viewing but you cannot "edit" them into the film.

9. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Han_YoungJediNiagara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2001
    Don't worry. Pretty soon VHS will be obsolete and DVD will be the only format. There is no way that the OT will never be on DVD.

10. mithmaster

mithmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2000
    "Don't worry. Pretty soon VHS will be obsolete and DVD will be the only format. There is no way that the OT will never be on DVD. "

The OT yes, but we're concerned about the "original" OT, before Lucas acted like a kid just discovering Photoshop with his CGI muckety-muck.

You know, I feel concerned about getting the originals, but there is something inside me that expects Lucas to try cash in somehow. I foresee him needing a new Jaguar or something and releasing the originals under the guise of "for historical purposes"

11. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    I'm glad to see that there are a number of you who still have a fondness for the original versions of the classic trilogy. This is the one case where I really don't mind if the release of these films in their original format is part of some marketing scam.

A thought. GL has been championing digital technology as a means for young, upcoming film makers to get into the business. Perhaps we could convince him that digital technology, in the form of DVDs, is also a way for fans to experience the films in the format we enjoyed most.

12. Sith-Lord-Palpatine

Sith-Lord-Palpatine Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2001
    To see his production on what he has done with TPM on DVD. There is now hope that there will be both the original cut, and the special edition cut in the DVD's for the OT. Just like the T2 ultimate edition where it had two versions of the movie.

I have also heard RUMORS that Lucas may even shoot additional shots for the OT DVD with Ian McDairmid as the emperor to include in ANH and the last senate preceedings in ANH before it is dissolved. I read this on thedigitalbits.com a few months ago and these are just rumors!!! but I can't wait for 2006. Right know i will have a DVD with no special features just the movies in all of their glory

13. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Right, as I'm off college at the moment, I'm going to take the time to write a letter to George Lucas. I'll have to type it up, as nobody understands my hand writing. Even I have difficulty reading it sometimes!

14. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I would assume that as GL is a good buisnessman he would release both the Original Trilogy and The Special Edition Trilogy separately.

How else could he possibly screw us all over and make more money that he really does not need ?

15. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    looks like for the time beeing you'll just have to wait untill they are realeased... then when they finally come out you rush down to the store and buy a copy!

16. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Get a FREE ISSUE OF STAR WARS INSIDER by helping me convince George Lucas to release the original versions of the OT on DVD

NOTE: Offer not valid in the U.K.

17. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

Maybe we could ask TF.N to devote part of their site to an online petition (or something) for the original versions of the OT on DVD.

Any progress in that department?

I think it's a great idea; TFN's huge, and we know that LFL watches them.

18. Bilbo_Binks

Bilbo_Binks Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2001
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show DVD has three versions of the film (US version, UK version, and Wizard of Oz (easter egg) version) and it still has a butt-load of special features.

If Fox can do that with a cult classic, they can surely do something much better for a cinematic masterpiece like the OT.

But until then, RHPS is my 3rd favorite DVD (right under The Phantom Menace and The Nightmare Before Christmas-Special Edition).

19. GHfett2001

GHfett2001 Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2001
    In my opinion, I think it's pointless to put all the old star wars movies on DVD right now. We have the VHS tapes that have the movies on them. What's the problem with waiting until they are all finished and in one box set? I love star wars as much as the next person, but if the old trilogy came out on DVD tomorrow, I wouldn't buy it because it would be pointless to buy DVDs that last forever tomorrow and then buy them all over again in a few years. I bought the Phantom Menace just for the extra stuff, the internet trailer for Episode II, and because it has some of the deleted stuff put back in the film. If it wouldn't have been for this stuff, I would have waited for the 6 DVD box set that will come out in a few years before I bought any of the DVDs. Unless you don't care to buy multiple copies of the same DVDs, I wouldn't worry about right now.

20. Synecdoche

Synecdoche Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2001

No one is; we're not above waiting. We just want it done.

21. kaijueiga

kaijueiga Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2001
    Great thread Binary.

Although I feel that some of the SE enhancements were necessary and desired (restored lost scenes ONLY), overall I felt that the OT versions of Star Wars were masterpieces in its own right, and that they did not require the need for CGI touchups.

Count me in on this campaign, and here's hoping that the rest of the lost scenes will be included in the final versions.

22. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Binary,

A couple of weeks ago I proposed the same thing in a thread. I would be honored if you would check it out if it hasn't been deleted yet. It is called BAREBONE OT DVD.
    If you find it please tell me what you think because I strongly believe that we should have the OT on DVD even if it doesn't have the bells and whistles. :) I think as fans we deserve the highest viewing quality for the OT we can get. ;)

23. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Hello!
    Thank you for your nice letter to George Lucas. We're delighted to know that you're such a "Star Wars" fan.

We have always tried to send a personal response to everyone who writes; unfortunately, because of the increase in the amount of mail we are receiving, we regret that we must acknowledge your enquiry with a form letter.

In answer to your question about the "Star Wars" films as they existed before the Special Edition, Mr. Lucas does not plan to re-release them in theor original form. He has indicated that the Special Edition changes were meant to improve the films to the way he originally envisioned them.

Please know we appreciate your very kind words about Mr. Lucas, and we have enclosed a small gift that we hope you like. May The Force Be With You!

Anne Merrifield
    Secretary to George Lucas

Enclosed was an R2D2 bookmark, which will be replacing my usual bookmarks of bus tickets and scraps of paper...

24. Synecdoche

Synecdoche Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2001
  25. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Not exactly encouraging, is it.

Still, I guess the fact that they're replying with a form letter could be seen as a good thing- they're getting lots of letters...

I wonder what his re-release plans actually are?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.