main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What I Intend to Do about Getting the Original Versions of the OT on DVD

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Binary_Sunset, Sep 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    If only the special effects or even music were updated, arguably it's all the same movies. But dialogue added, dialogue changed, events altered (say it with me kiddies: Han shoots first! :p)....yup, they're now different movies.

I kinda like the SEs, but I certainly feel they are different from the originals.

*shrug*

2. Lil_Booda

Lil_Booda Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    Lurking_Around,
    I was just wondering about how much dialogue was changed in the SE of ANH?

Several scenes seem to have changed lines, from what I remembered...

... a long time ago,
    in a theater that
    doesn't exist anymore!

3. sw9

sw9 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    Muwahahaha! I used to live in Thailand. for 4 years! And i can tell you that Bootleg's are not worth it! Nowadays it is very difficult to find good quality DVD's.

4. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    What this baby needs is your basic bump. ;)

5. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    If push comes to shove, I'm going to get the SE dvds and edit out the han shooting first, and Jabba sequences.

How exactly does someone write GL, I'll galdly join this campaign, even if it is all in vain.

6. Jude

Jude Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2000
    My letter's waiting by the door, ready to be sent tomorrow.

7. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
  8. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    It occurred to me today that Lucas' prime motivation for replacing all the SPFX in the original film was to eclipse all of the work done by John Dykstra--whom Lucas sued in 1979 for copyright infringement for his work of TV's Battlestar Galactica, and with whom he would never work again--with new, all-CGI shots.

Just a thought.

By the way, you can buy the original edition laserdiscs on Ebay. Just keep an eye out and they'll pop up sooner or later. All is not lost.

9. Jude

Jude Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2000
    Letter away!

I wonder if they still give away Insiders.

Not that that's my motivation for doing this.
    :eek:

10. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    This is how we convince Lucas to make the original versions on DVD. Make bootlegs. Sell them. If the problem gets big enough, Lucas will realize the only way to get around it is to make his own version and to undersell the black market.

11. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    A friend of a friend is going over there in a couple of months and he's under strict orders to get me both OT and SE trilogies.

I don't condone piracy by the way...

Am I the only one who sees the irony here?

12. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I would hate to see the original editions turn into the "Metropolis" of tomorrow. :(

13. jedi-phydeaux-mutt

jedi-phydeaux-mutt Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2002
    with all the advancement of home computers now days, why not simply make your own copy on DVD?
    Ive got 4 separate versions of the OT. An original relese, the re-release, THX and SE versions as well. Using my home computer as a movie studio, copy the movie to an mpeg format,and then burn as a DVD with the burners now available.
    Granted the quality might not be the best, but sheesh, what do you want? No original OTs to view for you childrens children? this is a fairly acceptable soulution until or in place of the release on DVD, done properly

phy

14. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    I'm thinking of doing that.
    Perhaps someone could give a list of cheap, but quality products that could achieve this "archiving".

Weren't the original films put in a underground vault by Congress or something as way to preserve American films?
    That was before the SE's and I doubt the Gov't is gonna GL poke around in their underground vaults...

15. eclipseSD

May 11, 2002
    Why go through the whole process with the computer, when you could just buy a DVD RW for your TV?

$540

In theory, you could pop lets say ANH into your VCR, hit record on the DVD and BOOM! 2 hours later, OT DVD!

Note-I am not sure if this will work with VCRS because of copy protection.

This isn't a bad DVD player either, with Progressive Scan.

16. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    I've taken clips from the OT using an ATI card and a VCR, but I wouldn't say they were much better quality than the videotape.
    It's been awhile since I did that, I know of the DV Bridge and Dazzle products, but I didn't think they would do much better.

So I know that the computer will copy the videotapes with no problem.

17. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Vortigern99, bow your head in sorrow and grieve with me.

My new Star Wars OT LD arrived today. It had been cracked during delivery.
    That's one less LD in circulation

Of course, the OT was the WHOLE REASON for me buying a laserdisc player. My first SW disc was sealed (oops, I wanted to play it.) so I had to buy this second one.

Guess I'll have to keep looking (and I got the damn thing for 10 bucks too!!!)

18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Binary_Sunset is a genius, and I dropped my letter in the mail yesterday. As Star Wars fans we have a moral imperative to do whatever is necessary to preserve the OT in its original form.

But the first step is to ask George, politely to do his duty for the history of film. Personally, I think if an appeal to his inner film buff doesn't work, an appeal to his inner businessman will. There is a market for the original OT, but it is a window that could close within 30 years or so as ANH's original audience ages. GL can put out as many versions of Star Wars in as many formats as he wants, and I will not complain as long as the original "Star Wars" and the original "Empire Strikes Back" are preserved and made available to the public.

In the end, George cannot stop it from happening, but he can profit from it.

19. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    "Binary_Sunset is a genius."

[face_blush] No, just determined to get the unadulterated OT on DVD.

:)

20. eclipseSD

May 11, 2002
    In case you haven't seen it, TFN does have GL's address on record.

George Lucas
    PO Box 2009
    San Rafael
    CA 94912
    USA

I encourage everyone to write.

21. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    So, has everyone written? :)

22. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Should I write a letter still?If Lucas doesnt put the NON-SE OT on DVD then I will!!!

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Huh, I'm writing. I hate the SE's... I'm not gonna say that in the letter, but it's true ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I don't know if this has already been discussed, but why not a start a petition?

25. scruffy-lookin

scruffy-lookin Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2001
    I finally got around to watching my Thailand ROTJ DVD the other day and to my surprise it was the THX version not the SE version.

ANH and ESB which I bought at the same time from the same place (ie a hawker in a street market) are both SEs. This was an unpleasant surprise since I bought them because I wanted the THX version on DVD. ANH and ESB also don't have the extras that the package claims (not a big surprise) but the ROTJ DVD does.

I got a special effects doco and three previews. One of them is the very cool Revenge of the Jedi trailer with Luke using a blue sabre in the sailbarge fight (but a green one in the throne room scenes).

It was good to see a beakless Sarlacc again.

Does anyone have a version of ROTJ with Luke holding onto the grate after Jabba tries to drop him into the Rancor pit? I remember this shot from the original release and from a trading card but I've never found it in any other format.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.