main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What I Intend to Do about Getting the Original Versions of the OT on DVD

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Binary_Sunset, Sep 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Guff,I like the way you think.Why dont we start a petition?

2. DarthStothe

DarthStothe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2002
    Go for it! GL probably wouldn't see the letter though.

3. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I have doubts as to whether George will ever release the Original version on DVD. Much of it has deteriated and what was taken has been converted into the Special Edition.

The best that everyone can hope for is that George goes back and returns some of the footage to its original version.

1) Greedo Shoots First
    2) No screaming of Luke

and so on...

4. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
  5. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I don't know if this has already been discussed, but why not a start a petition?

Wouldn't do a bit of good. The answer to the problem is to get an LD player.

6. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Laserdisc(good quality)-

$100+ for just the player
    $100+ for Definitive Edition LD

3 tapes converted to DVD(fair quality): $50 to $100

7. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    The tapes I've seen converted to DVD haven't matched the quality of LDs. Plus, LDs do not degrade and DVDR's (despite what anyone will tell you) do.

8. blobo

blobo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2002
    dont know if this has already been mentioned since i cant be bothered to read all the pages, but you could more than likely get the original's on kazaa

9. newjack

newjack Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2003
    You people are bickering over nothing.Do you really think Lucas is just going to throw away his original masterpiece in the toilet,it will be released in some way or form eventually.

10. Blast

Dec 8, 2002
    The problem is he feels they are not the complete versions and are not his masterpiece.

11. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    You people are bickering over nothing.Do you really think Lucas is just going to throw away his original masterpiece in the toilet,it will be released in some way or form eventually.

You mean the CT or just the OE? Of course he'll release the CT, but in OE form? Not a chance. See, your thinking like a fan, not like GL. Fans like OE, GL doesn't, not, that is, we he can 'update' them into something 'better'.

12. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    >>>Laserdisc(good quality)-

$100+ for just the player
    $100+ for Definitive Edition LD

3 tapes converted to DVD(fair quality): $50 to $100

Original Edition Trilogy, remastered on DVD with 5.1 surround sound, commentary tracks, behind the scenes featurettes...

Priceless.
    :D

13. Blast

Dec 8, 2002
    >>>>>Original Edition Trilogy, remastered on DVD with 5.1 surround sound, commentary tracks, behind the scenes featurettes... <<<<<<<<

If they made that I would be a happy star wars fan and never complain again! :D

14. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Original Edition Trilogy, remastered on DVD with 5.1 surround sound, commentary tracks, behind the scenes featurettes...

Priceless.

*sigh* Yes, indeed. It's depressing to think about it.

15. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
  16. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    We can keep hoping he'll change his mind.

17. Blast

Dec 8, 2002
    >>>>>We can keep hoping he'll change his mind.<<<<<<<

Maybe he will change his mind when he finds out how much $$$ he would make from it.

18. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I don't think it's about money. I think it's about what he personally wants the OT to be.

19. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Well here is a very disturbing piece of news

Just got back from the opening night of the ILM/Skywalker Sound tribute at the American Cinematheque @ the Egyptian Theatre. While it was real cool seeing Lucas in person, there really wasn't a whole lot discussed that would be enlightening to most fans. Much of the Q&A revolved around topics that we have seen or heard in the many commentaries or interviews from the last twenty years. Still, it was pretty damn awesome seeing the man, albeit he's kinda of short in person.

Anyway, about the only major piece of info to come from this night may upset the purists. THERE WILL BE NO ORIGINAL VERSIONS ON DVD!!! Lucas flat out said that we won't see the originals on DVD and I'm guessing any format other than those it already exists, ie laserdisc and video. I have both the originals and specials on laserdisc. Of course, you could get bootlegs but that isn't legal, unless the Emperor makes it legal. This news was met with very little snickering or hissing. Lucas feels the originals weren't complete so the special editions are the versions he intended to make 20 years ago.

20. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    "Original Edition Trilogy, remastered on DVD with 5.1 surround sound, commentary tracks, behind the scenes featurettes... "

If you were a real purist you would go for mono or stereo sound. After all, that's the way it was in 1977.

21. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm not surprised Lucas would reassert there will be no original release on DVD.

22. Digger

Digger Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2001
    "The problem is he feels they are not the complete versions and are not his masterpiece. "

Exactly. The man made the movies, he's allowed to do whatever he likes with them. I'm, to be quite frank, expecting the final DVDs to not be the SEs or the originals, but instead "the final edition" where the rancor doesnt look like crap compared to the reek, and stuff like that. Why? cause in 20 years, people will watch all 6, in order, having never seen any before. And it would really suck if they didnt fit together as one story, not one story where suddenly it looks bad half the time after the middle.

And that's my bit

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    One of the best things about the DVD format is that it's something of an archive for the creation of the film-which is why the discs contain so many extras that contain insights, documentaries, unfinished or cut scenes and alternate versions, so that they can show the process and evolution that created the film you're watching.

Lucas is an idiot if he doesn't release the original editions. He might be a good storyteller and great visionary, but this is just plain stupid.

24. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    It does seem odd to me.

25. Blast

Dec 8, 2002
    >>>>Lucas is an idiot if he doesn't release the original editions. He might be a good storyteller and great visionary, but this is just plain stupid.<<<<

Agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.