1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Hey Fanficers! In fixing the prefixes something happened and now you can't edit titles. Don't panic! We're looking into what happened and trying to fix it.

What I Learned or Remembered...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Daughter_Of_TheForce, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    ...while writing "What Remains Unspoken":

1) Writer's Block is not terminal.

2) I can't call procrastination Writer's Block.

3) I can't call fear Writer's Block.

4) No matter what I'm writing, I can't get away with doing less than my best.

5) After writing for 25+ years, the writer's demons (fear of rejection, fear of failure, fear of success, fear of not having anything to say, fear of being seen as a fraud) are still just as real and just as seductive.

6) Readers are sometimes better at seeing my intentions than I am.

7) I can't be afraid to put my emotions (or a character's emotions) on the page. If I don't feel them, my readers won't feel them.

8) Value anything I write, even if it winds up in the bottom of the desk drawer.

9) Related to #8, don't fall too deeply in love with my words. I'll have to edit them later.

10) The muse doesn't work unless I work!

11) Deadlines (even self-imposed ones) are good things.

12) Treasure my readers.

13) Don't let an abundance of readers or a dearth of them change how I write.

14) Tell my internal critic to get a cup of coffee and take a walk around the block when she gets too loud. Often, if necessary. :D

15) I'm not as bad a writer as I think I am.

16) I could not have gotten as deep into the characters as I did, if it weren't for the exquisite performances of these individuals:
    [ul][li]Ian McDiarmid[/li][li]Mark Hamill[/li][li]Billy Dee Williams[/li][li]Peter Cushing[/li][li]Natalie Portman[/li][li]James Earl Jones & David Prowse[/li][li]Harrison Ford[/li][li]Carrie Fisher[/li][li]Ewan McGregor[/li][li]Liam Neeson[/li][/ul]
    17) No idea is too crazy.

Just thought I'd share that, since I've finished my series today. :)

2. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Wow, very... philisophical
  3. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    true, too true.

//tells her inner critic to take a hike
  4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    Very very very true.
  5. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Every time I read one of those, something inside kept on kicking me and hissing, "guilt trip!"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.