main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What If: Anakin DIDN'T Win the Pod Race...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Skywalker Ranch Security, Jul 5, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabe

Sabe Jedi Youngling

May 9, 1999
    Jedi Lady, I loved the "Ben Kenobi" part... That was excellent ! And the lightsabers were a good touch too.
    By the way, do I detect a hint of the the famous "love triangle" theory in your story ?

2. Skywalker Ranch Security

Skywalker Ranch Security Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 1999
    JediLady: that ROCKED! I agree, the thing with the lightsabers was a nice touch. Keep it up!

I've started doing some writing myself, and reading you guys' stuff is a big help. Would any of you all mind reading and critiqueing some of it? I need some of you masters to take me as a padawin learner.

Keep up the good work, everyone! Wish I could take credit for more than just starting this thread!

--Security

3. Lwyn'nya Kenobi

Lwyn'nya Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 1999
    Skywalker Ranch Security,

Well, I wouldn't consider myself a 'master' at any rate, but I'd love to read what you've got! And you should take credit for creating this thread. After all, it was your idea and it was through your persistance that it survived to today. Send me an email with what you've got

4. Skywalker Ranch Security

Jul 2, 1999
    Lwyn'nya Kenobi - thanks for the words of encourgaement! I'll send you the little fragment I've written when later today.

--

One another note, I've come up with a "Big Idea" - it's pretty radical I guess, and if you all can't use it here (or don't like it at all) I understand. Anyway, here goes...

What If: There was no "Chosen one who will ballance the Force" prophecy...

TRANSLATION: We'll have to either A) Come up with a REAL reason (not "cause the prophecy says so") for Anakin to fall or B) Not have him fall

Looking at that senerio, seems like B would actually be more likely. Without that silly prophecy to do all the work, it seems like it would take a LOT to turn Innocent Little Skywalker into Mean Nasty Bad Guy Vader...not that choice A couldn't make for an awsome story, mind you

<RANT STARTS HERE>
    When exploring option A, can we PLEASE not have Anakin's fall revolve around his mother. That's just too dull.
    </MAKE RANT STOP NOW>

Ok thanks guys. Let me know what you think!

--Security

[This message has been edited by Skywalker Ranch Security (edited 08-02-1999).]

5. Lwyn'nya Kenobi

Jun 27, 1999
    Skywalker Ranch Security ~ IIIIII'm not too sure if that one would work.

*starts thinking outloud*

The Prophecy was basically what got Anakin into the Jedi Academy. Remember, he was far too old to be trained.

If there wasn't a prophecy, would Qui-Gon have gone through so much, risked so much, to have him initiated as a Jedi?

IF there wasn't a prophecy, would Qui-Gon still demand that Obi-Wan train him?

If there wasn't a prophecy, would it still be Star Wars?

I don't know, just randomly thinking out loud. I think the 'What if' thread could work if you tagged someting else along with the 'no prophecy' idea. Unfortunately, I'm stripped for ideas at the moment

6. Alpha_Ferdante

Alpha_Ferdante Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 1999
    I agree with Lwyn'nya Kenobi. If Anakin was not the "chosen one", why would Qui-Gon risk so much?

It could very well be that Qui-Gon was mistaken, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and view his vast experience as being accurate.

As for Anakin's fall, does everyone think that only one event causes it?

I don't. I think several things will attack and whittle away at Anakin's mind and turn him. One event may trigger the fall, but a lot of events should build it up.

For example, the Emperor referred to him as impatient in ROTJ. He's a prime candidate for becoming impatient with his Jedi training. He'll know he's the "chosen one" at some point. Something like that could go to his head where he may realize his potential power is higher than any other Jedi but it's being denied by his having to wait and be patient to get there. Remember, in TPM, the scene where Qui-Gon returns to the Queen's ship after his battle with Maul? When Anakin eagerly asks what they'll do, Qui-Gon says, "We will be patient."

This is, obviously, a "what if" thread, but I think we'll find in the future episodes that Anakin will suffer both impatience and greed (among other things).

7. Skywalker Ranch Security

Jul 2, 1999
    Definitely some good points there - let me try to defend my thinking...

>>>The Prophecy was basically what got Anakin into the Jedi Academy. Remember, he was far too old to be trained.

Prophecy or not, his midi-chlorian (sp?) count was the highest ever seen...couldn't an exception be made on these grounds? Wouldn't it be DANGEROUS to allow someone with that much potential power run around with no training or guidance? Seems to me they had to do something...

>>>If there wasn't a prophecy, would Qui-Gon have gone through so much, risked so much, to have him initiated as a Jedi?

Again, there's his midi-chlorian count - all that potential power...perhaps it would still have been worth the risk.

>>If there wasn't a prophecy, would Qui-Gon still demand that Obi-Wan train him?

See above. Perhaps it wouldn't have been important enough to be his last words, but something would still have to be done...

>>If there wasn't a prophecy, would it still be Star Wars?

I knew this would come up! Not much I can say here, except that the whole prophecy idea seem like kind-of a "cop out" -- perhaps necessary, though; prequils are very difficult to work with...

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. Perhaps it was just too late at night when I came up that...but go ahead and debunk my arguments. This could turn into a fun debate.

--Security

P.S. If you do think of anything that might make the idea more workable, please let me know...

[This message has been edited by Skywalker Ranch Security (edited 08-02-1999).]

8. JediLady

JediLady Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 1999
    Firstly some remarks

Purp Yep, that was the general idea...

Lwyn'nya Next installment, dear!

Sabe Maybe just a little. After all the Queen and Ben hardly ever get to see each other in the first, and I find it hard to believe that a 14-year-old wouldn't be impressed by our handsome young padawan.

Now back to the story...

We apologise for the delay in bringing the next instalment in our dramatic serial to our viewers, but experienced a serious technical failure. Normal service will now be resumed....

Despite the temptation for a quick and certain fix to their predicament, Qui-Gon could not bring himself to sell his padawan into slavery; never mind that the chances of anyone holding a Jedi for very long were small indeed. Instead, he looked down "That's a very generous offer, Lady... but I can't accept that. His mother would never forgive me, even for that fortune - and I don't fancy eating leftovers and sleeping on the floor for the next decade or so." Ka'andera laughed aloud and Obi-Wan shot a surprised look at his master. Qui-Gon sent a wave of reassurance laced with humour towards the younger man.

Ka'andera sat up straighter with a small smile on her face. "I wasn't expecting you to go for that - you don't strike me as the kind of man to dabble in the flesh trade, although I can't say I'm not disappointed. You would have been a valuable asset, Ben. I suppose I shall have to make do with being your agent." She sighed theatrically.

Qui-Gon nodded deferentially to the woman, playing the part of the out-of-place farmer. "Lady, we are honoured by your interest. I only brought my son here for the Boonta Games, after he begged me to let him go. He thought he could win a prize, and from what others have said I believe he can too, but why would that interest one such as you?"

Ka'andera nodded at him, casually flicking a stray braid over her shoulder with a chime of silver bracelets. " My interest is simple - money. I run a fighting stable, the best in the business. I choose the best prospects and produce top-quality competitors. The Boonta Games aren't the only popular competitions. The Hutts in particular will pay highly for the right sort of entertainment, and I provide it for them. I provide first-class training facilities, arrange proper opponents, advertise the match, provide the venue, handle the finances and protect my investments from some of the less scrupulous fight-fixers. In return your son will fight, follow the instructions my staff give him and take home part of the proceeds." She looked at the two men, her eyes narrowing "I am a hard mistress, but a fair one. I demand a lot, but I look after my own. Some promoters might offer you a higher cut, but you can ask my other fighters for proof - I keep my word and I won't kick you out on the street if you get injured or retire."

Qui-Gon looked at her as if considering her words carefully. She seemed sincere enough, but what really interested him was that she appeared to be employing an unconscious version of the Jedi Mind-Trick. He half-smiled to himself, no wonder she was supremely self-confident; she was probably used to getting her own way.

She continued "I don't like the Boonta fights much, though they are an excellent place for finding rough gems, like yourself." . Obi-wan smiled dryly, imagining his Jedi tutors' reaction to having their teaching methods so described. "No rules is bad, bad for business and bad for YOU!" She stabbed a finger forcefully. Obi-wan glanced at his master without showing the alarm that Qui-Gon sensed from him. The elder Jedi considered this carefully. While under normal circumstances this would have been a good thing, the refugees couldn't afford to wait that long. It was futile trying to influence her either. If she was strong enough to use the trick herself, he wasn't going to be able to sway her without giving the Jedi away, even if it worked.

Rubbing his beard with his thumb Qui-Gon spoke in a peculiarly mild voice "Surely if Ben wins the Boonta tournament

9. Sabe

Sabe Jedi Youngling

May 9, 1999
    Good work ! And good final line !
    I really like this story.

10. Skywalker Ranch Security

Jul 2, 1999
    Great post. Now writers...the time has come to WRITE SOME MORE! I (and many other I'd think) are ready to know what's next!

--

Lwyn'nya Kenobi ~ I'm going crazy wanting to read your comments on what I sent you. If your email isn't working, is ICQ a possibility? Your name is in my contact list, but I'm still "Waiting for Authorization"...

Thanks all!

--Security

11. elegant_weapon_at_UNC

elegant_weapon_at_UNC Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 1999
    Jedilady are you ready for me to take over the line? Just let me know...

12. Skywalker Ranch Security

Jul 2, 1999
    It's time for an update...any way we can just continue, and then go back and fix things if they interere with JediLady's (or whoever is supposed to "have the floor" right now) plans...?

I don't want this thread to die! Things are just getting interesting!

--
    Lwyn'nya Kenobi ~ Please check you ICQ...sorry to have to post that here, but don't know any other way to get in touch with you.

I sent you the next installment of my Fan Fic...in it is a prequil idea which could be used in a Jedi Apprentice story...

Thanks All!

--Security

[This message has been edited by Skywalker Ranch Security (edited 08-07-1999).]

13. padawanmac

padawanmac Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 1999
    This story is fabulous! I love it! I especially liked the 'please take your shirt off' bit with Obi-Wan - it had me laughing for ages! I also adore the fights Obi-Wan is in and the caring factor. Really good! Keep up the good work and write faster....please?

14. elegant_weapon_at_UNC

Feb 26, 1999
    Alright...I don't know what happenned to JediLady but I'm got start on my part of the plotline...

The first 2 or 3 fights had been easy enough. Local bar toughs. Rebellious farm boys looking for fortune and glory. Obi-Wan had been able to dispatch them with definite ease.

But this was the last day of fights and things were starting to change. The way the Boonta fights worked, known, ranked fighters were given byes through the earlier rounds held during the early days, while lesser known fighters, like Kenobi, had to fight they're way through the tournament.

Jinn forced a sense of calm as he watched Obi-Wan enter the circular pit at the bottom of the arena.

Today was the last day of the tournament and if Kenobi was going to get to the finals he was going to have to beat 4 fighters, of increasing skill, all today.

Kenobi dusted his hands on the black leather pants given him by his sponser. He found it odd that she would make such a big deal about him dressing in an alluring fashion since the only women he noticed frequenting the arena were prostitutes.

"No matter," he thought as he shadow boxed a bit of warm up. feeling the loose gravel of the arena floor under his feet, as his opponent entered from the other side of the floor.

"A dug," Kenobi thought, his mind racing through a strategic analysis. "He's a big one too."

The young Jedi watched the dug sway back and forth on his hands, striking at imaginary targets with his feet. He was quick, low to the ground, and multidextrous. This would not be easy.

In the stands Qui-Gonn watched his apprentice's mind work and smiled just a little remembering their first lightsaber lessons. All and all, Kenobi had been an excellent student of the Jedi fighting arts. Reckless and aggressive but wise at the same time. He never made the same mistake twice and was quick to adapt, and his tactics we're always well contstructed and creative. Despite his own guilt and misgivings, Jinn had great faith in the boy.

The announcer rattled through the welcome message, bantering about sponsers and upcoming bouts before he came finally to the fighter introductions.

"Inspa coorna, du la Shaori Stable, Ben Ka-noooooooooobi"

If Obi-Wan heard the dramatic mispronounciation of his name he gave no reaction, his eyes locked on his opponent.

The gong sounded and the fight began.

The dug rushed forth, leaping on his long arms, firing a barrage of strikes with his feet. Kenobi sidestepped, and fired a sharp low kick, his shin slamming into the onrushing dugs shouler.

The dug grunted and rolled back, reassessing the human. Obi-Wan drew back into a defensive stance, waiting like a coiled serpent for his aggressor.

In the stands, Jinn smiled in concurrence with Obi-Wan's tactic.

"Thats right," he thought, trying to guide Obi-Wan's every move. "you can't trade blows with him, his hands are too quick. Look for the one punch. Focus, my apprentice. Focus."

The dug was becoming impatient and shuffled forward, before leaping towards kenobi. The young Jedi reacted in a flash, the heel of his hand crunching against the bone in the dug's protruding snout.

The creature coughed as he inhaled a few bone chips, but bore the excrutiating pain extremely well and followed up his rush despite the damage, his arms reachign for the jedi's neck while his legs fired body blows against Kenobi's trunk.

Kenobi had underestimated the dug's resilency and he knew it. The alien brought him quicly to the floor, but Kenobi recoverd well, rolling with the tackle, throwing the dug clear with a flick of his hips.

The aliens grip broke and skidded to his back in the gravel several feet away, but his grip had left a rather large gash on kenobi's neck. Luckily, it hadn't hit an arterie, but he would need to patch it soon.

"Hurry up and get this over with," the young Jedi told himself as he scampere back to his feet and rushed to take advatage of the disabled alien.

The dug rose slowly, limping backwards and breathing raggedly, but making no sign of surrender.

Anakin seemed confused as Kenobi closed quickly. A swe

15. elegant_weapon_at_UNC

Feb 26, 1999
    Alright...I don't know what happenned to JediLady but I'm got start on my part of the plotline...

The first 2 or 3 fights had been easy enough. Local bar toughs. Rebellious farm boys looking for fortune and glory. Obi-Wan had been able to dispatch them with definite ease.

But this was the last day of fights and things were starting to change. The way the Boonta fights worked, known, ranked fighters were given byes through the earlier rounds held during the early days, while lesser known fighters, like Kenobi, had to fight they're way through the tournament.

Jinn forced a sense of calm as he watched Obi-Wan enter the circular pit at the bottom of the arena.

Today was the last day of the tournament and if Kenobi was going to get to the finals he was going to have to beat 4 fighters, of increasing skill, all today.

Kenobi dusted his hands on the black leather pants given him by his sponser. He found it odd that she would make such a big deal about him dressing in an alluring fashion since the only women he noticed frequenting the arena were prostitutes.

"No matter," he thought as he shadow boxed a bit of warm up. feeling the loose gravel of the arena floor under his feet, as his opponent entered from the other side of the floor.

"A dug," Kenobi thought, his mind racing through a strategic analysis. "He's a big one too."

The young Jedi watched the dug sway back and forth on his hands, striking at imaginary targets with his feet. He was quick, low to the ground, and multidextrous. This would not be easy.

In the stands Qui-Gonn watched his apprentice's mind work and smiled just a little remembering their first lightsaber lessons. All and all, Kenobi had been an excellent student of the Jedi fighting arts. Reckless and aggressive but wise at the same time. He never made the same mistake twice and was quick to adapt, and his tactics we're always well contstructed and creative. Despite his own guilt and misgivings, Jinn had great faith in the boy.

The announcer rattled through the welcome message, bantering about sponsers and upcoming bouts before he came finally to the fighter introductions.

"Inspa coorna, du la Shaori Stable, Ben Ka-noooooooooobi"

If Obi-Wan heard the dramatic mispronounciation of his name he gave no reaction, his eyes locked on his opponent.

The gong sounded and the fight began.

The dug rushed forth, leaping on his long arms, firing a barrage of strikes with his feet. Kenobi sidestepped, and fired a sharp low kick, his shin slamming into the onrushing dugs shouler.

The dug grunted and rolled back, reassessing the human. Obi-Wan drew back into a defensive stance, waiting like a coiled serpent for his aggressor.

In the stands, Jinn smiled in concurrence with Obi-Wan's tactic.

"Thats right," he thought, trying to guide Obi-Wan's every move. "you can't trade blows with him, his hands are too quick. Look for the one punch. Focus, my apprentice. Focus."

The dug was becoming impatient and shuffled forward, before leaping towards kenobi. The young Jedi reacted in a flash, the heel of his hand crunching against the bone in the dug's protruding snout.

The creature coughed as he inhaled a few bone chips, but bore the excrutiating pain extremely well and followed up his rush despite the damage, his arms reachign for the jedi's neck while his legs fired body blows against Kenobi's trunk.

Kenobi had underestimated the dug's resilency and he knew it. The alien brought him quicly to the floor, but Kenobi recoverd well, rolling with the tackle, throwing the dug clear with a flick of his hips.

The aliens grip broke and skidded to his back in the gravel several feet away, but his grip had left a rather large gash on kenobi's neck. Luckily, it hadn't hit an arterie, but he would need to patch it soon.

"Hurry up and get this over with," the young Jedi told himself as he scampere back to his feet and rushed to take advatage of the disabled alien.

The dug rose slowly, limping backwards and breathing raggedly, but making no sign of surrender.

Anakin seemed confused as Kenobi closed quickly. A swe

16. Lwyn'nya Kenobi

Jun 27, 1999
    AG ~ Great ideas! Unfortunately, JediLady, Elegant Weapon, and myself have collaborated to bring a crux to this story that revolves on them leaving Tatooine. However, if someone were to do a second "What if Anakin lost the podrace" or perhaps a "What if the hyperdrive didn't work", your ideas would make for some great plotlines!!

Elegant ~ Great work!! Keep it up! Let me know when you want me to do Padme's scene with the ship

17. JediPadme

JediPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 1999
    hey, great story guys! keep up the great writing... and is anyone compiling this??

18. Skywalker Ranch Security

Jul 2, 1999
    My first double post...ever!

[This message has been edited by Skywalker Ranch Security (edited 08-11-1999).]

19. Skywalker Ranch Security

Jul 2, 1999
    What if the hyperdrive didn't work

LOL! "What if Watto ripped them off..."

Really now...back to they story...COME ON!

20. Skywalker Ranch Security

Jul 2, 1999
    Back to top!

Random Pink Floyd Quote ~ One of these day I'm gonna cut you into little pieces!

21. JediZuke

JediZuke Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 1999
    Wow, this is a really great thread. Compliments to all involved. Keep it going everyone ...

22. elegant_weapon_at_UNC

Feb 26, 1999
    Lwyna->GO ahead and send Padme to hire the freighter...Obi has enough coin from the prelims for a down payment...and it'll make a nice break from the in-ring action...

23. Tyhei

Tyhei Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 1999
    (Hrm, a night of posting replies, I see...*g* Hey Jen.)

I just wanted to drop a line and tell all how much I truly like this thread. Great job to everyone; kudos on making Obi-Wan the fighter, and the cho-reo-graphy, as well as the c-zations and interactions. Can wait to see what's in store for them...especially with a lurking Maul.

Oh, and just to throw out an odd little tidbit: did they ever consider taking Maul's ship? Or is this just a bulge in the regular TPM timeline?

24. padawanmac

padawanmac Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 1999
    Hey All! Just thought I'd say how much I adore this story and you're all doing a wonderful job, you are a very talented group of people. I can only pray that the atmosphere here doesn't turn into the one at the 'What If in Episode I?' thread. Has anyone noticed the extreme ripples in the Force over that way? I'm too afraid to say anything! I'm only a Padawan though so I may be wrong Anyway, this is coming along beautifully and the plot development is superb!

25. Lwyn'nya Kenobi

Jun 27, 1999
    EW ~ Actually, I can't come up with a d*mn thing for Padme's scene. You wanna take it? For some reason or another, it just won't write. I'll be happy just taking their journey to Coruscant/after tournament scene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.