main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if...At The Battle of Yavin, Yavin 4 Was Destroyed?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Return of the Wattowatta, Aug 13, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Return of the Wattowatta

Return of the Wattowatta Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Well, eventually we will get to this, but we really need your help. What needs to be added? Will there be an admin section? How much time do we need to spend on this? I want you people to write them down here so they are at least documented. This thread will act as a notepad for now.

My list of things I want to write down so I can remember.

<LI>Proper Protocol- Newbies shouldn't post new threads, get to know the JC for a while.
    <LI>Paul Ens "Common Sense Clause" [Best damn thing in this book].
    <LI>List of threads that have been beaten to death with a gaffi stick.
    <LI>Add all "unwritten rules."

2. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    The "Forum Etiquette" thread Waaaaaaaay back at the beginning of the P(SA) forum would be a great resource for ideas. It's one of those old threads that you can't reply to (Damn! I wish Zoro would fix that!), or I would have brought it back up long ago. I guess I could copy/paste/repost it, but that's a pain. Great reference material, though.

3. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    I think I can fix that thread.

4. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    The "Forum Etiquette" thread is a must.

In regards to some of the "hot topics," one of my goals in creating the indexes is to identify those threads that should serve as the "official threads" on some topics.

I would like to know whether you folks think this determination should be based on "quantity" or "quality."

Quantity would be easy since I have already put the indexes in order of post count, but if we were to go for quality, it would require someone to read through the big threads and nominate the one for the "official thread."

Here is the list of topics that I used for the P(SA) Index threads:

Acadamy Award Threads
    Amidala/Padme & Handmaden Threads (SBO is researching)
    Anakin Threads done
    "Apologists" Threads done
    Aurra Sing and Misc. TPM characters Threads done
    Boba Fett in Prequels Threads done
    Box Office Threads done
    Casting for Ep. 2 & 3 Threads done
    Clone Wars Threads done
    Darth Maul Threads done
    Droids Threads done
    EU vs. Canon Threads done
    Jar-Jar Threads done
    Jedi Religion/Jedi Council/Sith Religion Threads done
    "Love Triangle" Threads done
    Media Criticism Threads
    Midi-chlorian Threadsdone
    Misc. Ep. 2 & 3 Speculation Threads done
    Music of TPM Threads
    Neutral TPM review Threads done
    OB1 Threads done
    Palpatine=Sidious Threads done
    "Peace Ball" thing threads done
    Planets in the Prequels done
    Portman Threads (SBO is researching)
    Qui-Gon Threads done
    Quotes Threads done
    Racism Threads
    SFX Threads
    Technology threads (Lightsabers, ships, etc.) done
    "Welcome" threads

5. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Good entries... thanks for doing that... I want to add a list of threads [per forum] that has been beaten to death and should not be created unless you aren't a Newbie.

6. Paradox

Paradox Moderator Emeritus star 1 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 2, 1998
    All right. I've been promising myself forever that I was going to do this, and now I'm going to do just that. Here goes--and, of course, feel free to offer any changes you feel necessary or helpful.

BTW, in case it's not obvious, the text that is capitalized and in italics is meant as comments to all of you.

The Jedi Council Handbook

Hello, and welcome to the JediCouncil.Net forums! This handbook has been written as an informal advisory guide for new members of the forums, with the intent to answer some of the questions you may have and help you overcome some of the difficulties that newbies traditionally encounter. While it's not required that you read through this, it's very strongly encouraged that you do so.

The Prequels

One of the most common traits that most new members share is the tendency to gravitate towards the Prequels forum. Naturally, some topics are often repeated, and thus many of your questions may have already been answered. For that reason, we have gathered some of the most frequently asked questions and have coupled them with links to threads answering them.

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Abbreviations

In the Jedi Council forums, members will often abbreviate commonly used phrases. These are some of the more ubiquitous abbreviations:

PUT THIS IN A TABLE
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>JCN - JediCouncil.Net (usually the forums)
    <LI>TFN - TheForce.Net
    <LI>SW - Star Wars
    <LI>TPM - The Phantom Menace
    <LI>ANH - A New Hope
    <LI>ESB - The Empire Strikes Back
    <LI>ROJ or ROTJ - Return of the Jedi
    <LI>GL - George Lucas
    <LI>LFL - LucasFilm, Ltd.
    </UL>

In addition, if you aren't familiar with more general internet abbreviations, these may be useful to you:

AGAIN, IN A TABLE
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>LOL - Laugh out loud
    <LI>ROFL or ROTFL - Roll on the floor laughing
    <LI>BTW - By the way
    <LI>ASAP - As soon as possible
    <LI>IMO - In my opinion
    <LI>IMHO - In my honest/humble opinion
    </UL>

Smilies and UBB Code

Two common questions ask by many new members are how to make smilies and how to use UBB Code. Though these topics are covered in the FAQ, they're duplicated here for your convenience
    COPY THE SMILIES AND UBB INFORMATION

Member Status

There are three different types of members: Junior Members, Members, and Administrators. A Junior Member is simply a member with less than 31 posts. Administrators are selected by either the existing administrators or the TFN staff--and it's generally not a good idea to ask to become one.

This brings up another question: Who are the administrators? As of this writing, the administrators are:

LIST THE ADMINISTRATORS

General Advice

There are some bits of information that are unwritten rules, or are things that most people learn by experience. However, experience is often painful, and perhaps by looking over this advice you can avoid that pain.

• <LI>In general, you should wait until you've been around JCN for a while before you post a new thread. Often, you'll find that a question you were about to ask has already been answered.
      <LI>Be polite to other members. There's absolutely no problem with having debates, as long as they don't turn into arguments--and remember, if you go too far, you can (and will) be banned.
      <LI>Consider visiting all of the different forums, and not centralizing yourself in one or two. Even if you have no interest in Star Wars books, the Literature forum still may contain something that you'll find interesting.
      <LI>Rememer that the administrators have the privilege of interpreting forum rules. Just because something isn't specifically stated as being wrong doesn't mean that it's right, so use your common sense.
      <LI>If you disagree with an administrator's decision, first politely contact the individual administrator. If this doesn't solve the problem, send an e-mail to mailto:forum@theforce.net">forum@theforce.net , which is forwarded to members of the TFN staff responsible for helping with JCN.
      <LI>Have fun!

Last Words

That's it! From the administrators of JCN, we hope that you enjoy posting in the Jedi Council forums, and look forward to

7. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Awesome, Paradox! Just one thing: I don't think it's necessary to duplicate the entire faq page and ubb code page; just post links to them. Also, EU and MTFBWY should be added to SW abbreviations.

Oh, and I learned a new word the other day. Ever heard of PEBCAK?

[This message has been edited by jasman (edited 08-15-1999).]

8. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Can i suggest a 'girl with braces' index? Sheesh the amount of times i've heard that brought up!

BTW, great 'handbook' there, Paradox.... Where would that be displayed for the new members to see? Should it be emailed to them upon joining? Or should it be an agreement-type thing they have to agree to before entering the forum? If these are done, then, swifter action can be placed on new members who immediately break the rules.... maybe, that way, if they complain, the admins can just say that they should've read and obeyed the rules.

Should there also be answers to questions like: "I just posted and i can't see it!" "What is 'double posting' and how can i prevent it?" "What's a 'newbie'? " ?

9. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    And "what's the difference between a newbie and a N.E.W.B.I.E.?"

10. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Paradox... nice job. I'm all for it.

stin, I had considered the "Girl with Braces" index, but there are only like 3 or 4 major threads on. I am thinking about stuffing it into "Amidala Handmaiden Threads."

Another idea that I had just now:

When I am done, I will post a new thread (index thread getting a little big ?) and I will not only post the links to each thread but give a breakdown of the popular topics that appear in each category...

For example:

Casting Threads:
    NOTE: This index conatians threads on the topics of Anakin Casting, Boba Fett Casting, Tarkin Casting, Mon Mothma Casting.... etc.

There probably won't be too many threads that require this additional topic listing, but a few catch-all threads will. I just don't want to add any more to the list right now. It is monstrous enough to keep track of as it is.

It was a change that I wanted to make, but I could just re-edit the original post in the current comments thread. Let me know if you guys think that I should post a new index thread when I am done.

[This message has been edited by YODA the all powerful (edited 08-15-1999).]

11. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Bravo. Very good entries, and what a good job Paradox did!

12. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    If you're gonna put what a N.E.W.B.I.E. is in there, you also need to explain S.I.T.H.

13. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    Hey Dude.

14. lazerman

lazerman Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 1998
    Not if you get a cable connection

I just converted my footage into two sizes, and one is 6 Megs, the other 18 megs, and they are both only 25 secs long, it is just the quality that makes the difference. The higher, the bigger the file. BUT with my SWEET cable modem, I can download TROOPS in one minute.

15. NightTraveler

NightTraveler Jedi Master star 1

Aug 28, 1999
    I love Star Dudes!!!! It's so funny

Hey Dude

16. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    You should also see the animations at the 3D page on TF.N if you like animated movies. The 'Join the Empire' one is sweeeeet!

17. BenKanobe

BenKanobe Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    me neither, those are funny as hell!

18. bmilder

bmilder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 1998
    h3y d00d tongue.gif

19. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Like, I loved it too!

20. wyodea

wyodea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 1999
    Star Dude

A New Dude
    The Dudes Strike Back

And lemme guess, if they keep the tradition (which I hope they do!), we'll have:

Return of the Dude
    The Phantom Dude

Later Dudes!

21. Neeja Halycon

Neeja Halycon Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2000
    It was good, the best part was "Carrie!!!"

22. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    The Force is strong with this dude.That was pretty funny. Good work, dudes!

But I don't think that Luke really says "Carrie" in the movie. I always listen for it and it sounds like "Hey!" to me.

23. m0rpheus25

m0rpheus25 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2000

[This message has been edited by m0rpheus25 (edited 03-13-2000).]

24. m0rpheus25

m0rpheus25 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2000
    The reason some films take so long to load is because they are either a QuickTime Movie or an AVI Movie. The best thing to do with these is to right click on the link and "Save Target" to your hard drive, and view it when ever you want.

The Rich Cando's wondefuly done STAR DUDES is an animated Flash Movie that is very small and works with/in HTML.

25. Return of the Wattowatta

Return of the Wattowatta Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Yavin
    By Return of the Wattowatta

Dramatis Personae-

The Rogues

Colonel Luke Skywalker (Rogue Leader)(CO)
    Captain Corran Horn (Rogue Nine)(XO)
    Captain Ace Azameen (Rogue Five)
    Lieutenant Emon Azameen (Rogue Two)
    Lieutenant Dix ?Dixie? Thorton (Rogue Six)
    Lieutenant JG Aeron Azameen (Rogue Ten)
    Wil Hamial (Rogue Seven)
    Flir Goyla (Rogue Four)
    Linal Korula (Rogue Three)
    Tyna Kingarth (Rogue Eleven)
    Kyle Nors (Rogue Eight)
    Vigril ?Moort? Gintar (Rogue Twelve)

Rogue Squadron Support Staff-

R2-D2 (Luke?s astromech)
    Whistler (Corran?s astromech)
    Gil Bastra (Rogue Squadron Intelligence Officer)

Alliance Military-

Admiral Ackbar
    General Riekian
    Colonel Cracken
    Colonel Hal Horn
    Captain Varth
    Lieutenant Iella Wesiri

Alliance Leadership-

Mon Mothma

Crew of the Millenium Falcon-

Captain Solo
    Chewbacca

Azameen Forces-

Tomaas Azameen
    Emon Azameen
    Aeron Azameen
    Ace Azameen

[This message has been edited by Return of the Wattowatta (edited 05-12-2000).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.