main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if Christopher Lee dies before the production of Ep. III?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Macho, Jul 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    Lee is reaching the end of a wonderful life of acting, he is in his 80's. What if that life is taken before the production of Ep. III occurs, that will SEVERLY hinder the story of Ep. III, what will Lucas do if this happens? Create a CG Dooku?

2. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I think I am the only one who didn't like Lee in ep2. I think ep3 will be better if we just don't see dooku. sadly we will have to tho. :([/color]

3. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, firstly fingers crossed nothing happens to him.

If something does, then they will probably use a double and superimpose Lees head onto the body. They did a bunch of that in AotC anyway.

4. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I thought Lee rocked in AOTC.
    If he does die before the filming of Episode III, Lucas will either have to kill Dooku between films, which would be difficult to do convincingly, or replace Lee with another actor or try to CG him. It would be very difficult, but I would not put it past Lucas to try the CG approach.

5. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    This is my biggest fear. As soon as I saw AOTC and knew he didn't die, I was worried. I thought he was very good, and really hope he lives until next summer for the filming.

I also hope he dies a savage death at the nasty end of a lightsaber!!!!

6. 4-LOSW

4-LOSW Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2001
    all I gotta say is...don't jinx it man!

7. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Death does not discriminate. Anybody with strong connections to the prequels could die at any time.

To answer the topic, Christopher Lee looked fine in the lightsaber duel. Is there any reason that we should think that his health is poor? I only wish I look that good at 80.

8. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    He's probably in better physical health than GL

9. WishboneKenobi

WishboneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2002
    If Lee lasted this long I think He'll make it a couple more years. It's not like he has a terminal illness (I hope). It would be way worse if Hayeden Or Ewan died. Imagine Lucas trying to change the scrips so Anakin isn't in it. God!!!!

10. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Now let's not get people started, Stinrab! 8-}

11. OutlawYoda

OutlawYoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    "Christopher Lee looked fine in the lightsaber duel. Is there any reason that we should think that his health is poor?"

but.. in the duel between him and yoda he was CG.. and he was only used for close up shots..

12. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    They used doubles in the TPM duel. Should we be worried about Ewan's health too? Doubles, whether CG or real, are used all the time. Anyway, I heard a rumor that key scenes for Dooku have already been filmed for precisely this kind of anxiety, likewise with dialogue from James Earl Jones.

EDIT: It makes sense that Dooku would be mostly CG for the Yoda duel so that when he engages a CG character, it looks more believable and is easier for the FX team, not to mention that most people would find a forward somersault leap from a standing position to be a challenge. ;)

I think it would be pretty difficult to choreograph a duel with a live character carrying out a series of precise movements on a bluescreen against something that isn't there. AFAIK, Lee handled most of the duel chores for Anakin and Obi-Wan but I could be wrong.

13. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Lee has been into on-stage fencing and dueling and all that caper all through his life, so he's certainly capable of it.

However, because he's older, I heard a rumour *somewhere* but I can't place it, that most of the actual dueling in AOTC was done by a stunt double.

If anyone knows where this came from, feel free to correct me, i've got a shocking memory :p.

Tayschrenn

14. jojoballs2002

jojoballs2002 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2002
    these are the stupidest threads

what if threads suck

someone please lock this stupid thread

15. WellKnownCharacter

WellKnownCharacter Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    This thread isnt stupid, it's totally relevant.
    Dooku is a major player in Anakins final steps to the darkside and Christopher Lee is like 82.
    If he did become 'one with the force' before Episode III we(and Lucas) would have a major problem on our hands.
    Take the character out of the story?
    Recast?
    Superimpose previous shots of Lee onto another actor?
    Attemp a full CGI human?(Mummy Returns Shudder)
    It would be a major problem.

16. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    He's not that old people. He's still got at least another 10-15 years in him.

17. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    Well I saw behind the scenes footage of Lee with 2 sabres pointing them in a downwards direction (presumably towards Yoda who had still to be put in, the sabres were also just sticks, no SFX) on a TV show he was on the week AOTC came out.

So it's a fair bet he did a little bit of the Yoda battle.

Lee is great, even in bad films he's usually worth watching (I'm not talking about AOTC).

I think Lucas may have thought of the possiblity of losing Lee before he cast him in AOTC so may have a "back-up plan" just in case.

Oliver Reeds death didn't have too much of an effect on Gladiator. The SFX guys used footage already shot and manipulated it.

Lets hope it doesn't happen with Lee though.

18. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    MUST we have these morbid threads? :_| At least it's a change from "What if GL dies?"...

Rick McCallum loves you!

19. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I would be very sad I was always a big fan of his work.I liked him even before AOTC ,and when I found out he had a role in it I was very excited.I loved him int the hammer films,and just recently saw him in FOTR.I just love him.I would compare him to Bela Lugosi.

20. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I say if something happens to him, in Ep. 3, have one shot of him showing his back, so they could use a different actor. Imagine like Corde in AOTC on the ship before they got to Coruscant to make you believe it was Padme. Then have something happen to him in the movie like an explosion where he is.

I hope nothing happens to anyone though.

21. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    "He's not that old people. He's still got at least another 10-15 years in him."

Um, he's past life expectancy. That's old enough.

Christopher Lee only has to last less than 2 years now. Rememeber they'll film most if not all of his shots next summer. And give an extra 6 months for pick up shots. That's really all.

But since he's lasted this long, i'd say a year and a half wouldn't be that bad.

Now if he should pass on before then, there would be a serious problem. No matter how people would look at it, anything less than him actually appearing in the film would bring the experience down. And for the last Star Wars film, that would be heartbreaking. No CGI could replace an actual human presence. It would all just be akward. But there's nothing we can do about it.

22. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Does anyone else find it rather morbid to talk about someone like they're a racehorse?

"Yep, he's past his prime but he's got a few good years left in him. We'll probably have to put him down after Episode III, though."

Geez.

23. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Just to set the record straight, almost all of Dooku's dueling scenes were done by a stunt double. He was basically only used when you saw his face. :)

In fact, his stunt double you can see in the video on StarWars.Com about the arena battle and so on (I think it's the 10th one or something). He's the one twirling the double lightsabers as Sam Jackson voices-over with "....I don't do a lot of fancy twirls and stuff, I'm pretty efficient."

Where did I get this info? Star Wars Celebration II, I heard Nick Gillard say it myself. :)

[image=http://bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~

24. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Two words: Digital Doo-ku.

25. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    This is something that I have worried about for some time...I realize that most likely everything will be fine but there is always the fear that something *could* happen with Mr. Lee. Now I see a lot of you saying:

Yeah...so0o? Hayden could die...dont worry about it

But this is different there is a legitimate reason to think that Mr. Lee might pass away between now and 2005...He IS 80 years old and that IS an old age...I even remember him joking when he said he doubts he will live to see the release of the last LOTR movie and if that ends up being true, we are in trouble for EP3 I dont even know how Lucas could fix the script to fit his death because anything he did reall wouldn't be 'tactful'

*Raises Wine Glass*

Here's to a long life Christopher Lee!

*Thinks Twice*

Perhaps you shouldn't drink that...its bad for your liver...
    [face_laugh]

~ICeBReaKeR
    His abilities have made him...arrogant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.