main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if Episode 7 opens in the middle of a huge intergalactic war ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWars2015, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Maybe; but seeing as he's not wrong, I think this time I'll get his back. :p

2. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    Also, any discussion of Star Wars Episode 7 Sadly brings us back to the most recent Star Wars Movies, They were released in 1999, 2002, and finally in 2005, you might remember them, (yet somehow we all remember the one released in 1977 more............Thats curious isn't it....??)

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I remember the movies released in 1999, 2002, and 2005 because I really liked them. Almost as much as the ones released in 1977, 1980, and 1983. Actually, ROTJ and ROTS are a tie for me.

Anyway, this thread is NOT for OT vs. PT discussions.

4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Oh, hell, if we're all going to be honest here, we used up the actual purpose of this thread WEEKS ago. We've gone over the long and short of whether or not it'd be cool to open Episode VII in the middle of a big "intergalactic" war forwards and backwards. What's left on that topic? Just more variations of either "yes" or "no?" There's not much to really discuss, because no "wouldn't it be cool" question ever really encourages long-standing intellectual discourse. Unless someone can genuinely revive the discussion about that topic, you mods might as well call the locksmith. ;)

That being said, no, it's not meant for PT vs. OT discussion either, but at least that encourages better (if more fractious) discussions. Frankly, despite my (and, apparently, SW2015's as well) opinion that the ST needs to embrace the successes of the OT and shun the failures of the PT, the more likely possibility is that the ST will itself be a separate entity from either the PT or the OT. Just as the PT had connections to the OT but remained a separate story, I'd have to imagine that at the end of the day, the ST will have connections to both the PT and the OT while remaining its own story about its own characters. If that's the case, then it's not so much a discussion of PT vs. OT anymore, but rather a discussion about ST vs. PT vs. OT, or of ST vs. PT/OT together. It's a discussion of whether the filmmakers have learned the lessons, not so much of TPM or John Carter, but what lessons there are, positive or negative, to be learned from any and all films in either of the previous trilogies. That discussion need not happen here; but it has to happen SOMEWHERE on this forum. I'm sure you mods will know the best place for it.

And I'm sorry to say this, but that means the faults of all the films will have to come into the discussion in order to know what strengths the ST should embrace and which pitfalls the ST should avoid, and that includes the strengths and faults of the prequels as well as the original films. Those issues are not going to go away. They are there, and they are apparent. What are we supposed to do, ignore them? Say they never happened? Jar Jar the Cartoon Rabbit is pretty hard to ignore. Moreover, the entire public narrative concerning the prequels is that they were lesser films, and the press and the general public have embraced that narrative with no sign that they would ever question it. As I have repeatedly said many times in many threads, the world made up its mind about the prequels years ago, and it's not a positive opinion. THAT will not go away either. There will always be a new person coming on this forum with an issue about the prequels, hoping such issues don't appear again in the ST, and despite all attempts by the mods to discourage such fractionalism, the discussion will go on because the issues themselves are serious enough to demand it.

Of course, my attitude would have no validity at all if the people at Disney/LFL were acting like they wanted to embrace the prequels wholeheartedly whether we liked it or not, but they're not acting that way at all. Their actions speak volumes about how they want to handle this. They're doing everything they can to downplay the prequel era, judging by their actions, by their approach, and by the people they've been hiring to write or consult; which means that Disney/LFL too understands that the faults of the prequels, real or imagined, have become the driving focus of the narrative of those films in the eye of the general public. What that really means is that we, those people who had issues with the prequels, have carried the argument, and that Disney/LFL have effectively conceded that argument to us. And as far as I'm concerned, if the parent company of the prequels now wants to sweep the memory of the prequels under the rug, that means WE WON. Not the supporters of the prequels, but US, those who pointed out their emperor had no clothes. We spoke truth to power, and power backed down. Can we interpret their movements in any other way?

And so, while I would agree with the mods that this may not necessarily be the best thread for such discussions, no one's going to convince me that now, with a new trilogy coming soon and so much at stake, there's no place at all on the forum for such frank and open discussion, or that such discussion shouldn't be taking place (and, to be fair, the mods aren't saying that; just that it doesn't necessarily belong HERE). We care about this because we're all desperately hoping the ST will turn out well. We're invested in this DEEPLY. There's a tremendous lot riding on this. If the ST turns out as good as we want, then Star Wars itself will endure as something more than just a cute pop-culture thing that happened in the 1970s and 1980s, only to become a travesty of itself in the 1990s and 2000s and a complete joke in the 2010s and 2020s before sputtering out completely and dying an ignoble and inglorious ending. If it again embraces its roots and becomes a true mythology, a deeply respected part of our culture, then we were correct to invest ourselves in that mythology, in those characters, in that universe; if the perception of the ST is again lukewarm or even negative, then all of Star Wars withers and dies in our lifetimes. And I don't think any of us want to confront that.

(Go ahead, preschoolers, and complain about my "wall of text" all you want; my points are still valid. :p)

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, as was correctly pointed out, this thread has indeed already served its purpose. Locking.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.