main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if Episode VII bombs?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Chaos123x, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I didn't like Tron Legacy. I didn't see John Carter. I don't know if JC is any good but the production qualities looked fine. IMO they did botch the marketing of that film. Apparently it was based on a book called "John Carter of Mars." Also IMO they should have changed some obvious things like the name of the lead character -- too plain. ER had a character named John Carter. Really it looked like He-Man and Masters of the Unibverse to me, Conan in space. I remember thinking it looked kind of cool but sounded pretty lame.

Still I staunchly stand with the majority -- this film cannot FAIL financially.

2. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    That would really suck, but I do not see it happening. Possibly no movie franchise has the name recognition of Star Wars, except for possibly James Bond, or Indy. I'm sure that Disney will hype the heck out of it too, and it seems like they are doing everything possible to get the right people on board. After spending over $4 billion dollars on Star Wars, there is absolutely no way that they will not market it so much, that it may actually annoy us. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it unseats Avatar as the highest grossing movie ever.

Echo-07 and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I actually watched John Carter and...uhm...to be honest I watched through that movie.
    It was just playing and some things were going on and an airship was there or something and then there were some Goro-like creatures and...I frankly don't recall anything else.
    It simply didn't hold my attention at all.
    I don't have anything bad to say about it, but nothing good either.

Very rarely does a movie cause no reaction whatsoever...and I'd say that's worse than causing a negative reaction.
    Any reaction is better than no reaction.
    So...yeah, guess he is Conan in space or something...

WIERD_GREEN_MAN and Echo-07 like this.
  4. mrdan5

mrdan5 Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2012
    Hmm, assuming they already have the story mapped out for the whole trilogy I'm not too sure what would happen. Maybe they would revise things and see what went wrong?

Having said that, I think it's next to impossible that this will flop. This is something that I think even casual moviegoers will be hyped for, and the name alone for a live-action instalment will reel people in with all the promotion.

5. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    My friend, do you really think Disney needs to hype it? LOL :p

Look at all the ecstatic hype it is getting already -- just over a week old.

6. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Your missing a lot of good stuff. Although not all of it is good. Pandering to teens- the show is not afraid to slaughter people at all (in the context of the show rather than those who watch it!)

7. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    It has quite a few "brutal" moments - brutal, in the Star Wars context... clonetroopers getting shot in the head, people getting tortured, clone troopers shooting people in the head, casually executing wounded enemies crawling out of destroyed vehicles, bashing their faces in...

Come to think of it, the best ones are where the focus is on the clonetroopers.

yodasbum likes this.
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The title of this thread won't happen. Episode VII will be one of the biggest films of all time, hype and event wise. It will completely dwarf the hype surrounding TPM. It will also make, at a minimum, a billion dollars worldwide. This is a guarantee.

9. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
  10. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    They had forum in 98!?

11. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    Ecstatic hype? Everyone on You Tube Twitter and even friends at work who've never heard of the EU hear "Disney" and "Star Wars"and are ready for "epic suckage." I submit that Episode VII will not bomb. But it's not going to make as much money as people believe, and if it's received by critics and the audience as another TPM, it's gonna be a long way down for the following movies.

12. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree. The Prequel Trilogy was exciting, because it was filling in the vague backstory that we already knew from the Original Trilogy, but the Sequel Trilogy is going into completely uncharted space, so it is much more exciting in terms of the story possibilities. Also, it will most likely seen the reunion of the OT characters, who are much more beloved and well known than the PT characters, so that will give it a lot more hype.

13. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I hope not too much hype though. It's one of the things that ruined TPM for many people.

14. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    I really doubt it will bomb, I hated episode 1 and yet I still went to the theater 4 times to see it. Growing up with the original trilogy I was so happy that more Star Wars movies were made, I felt like it was my duty to see them all multiple times lol. Only us people who were kids in the 70's might understand this. Although it didn't stop me from complaining and pretty much hating the prequels after all said and done!

15. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I've encountered a similar thing. When you say "Disney" people think princesses, "kid's movies", Mickey Mouse and Goofy and so on.
    Many people fail to realise that there is much more to Disney and that it also owns Marvel and Pixar and even Miramax...which isn't exactly known for it's cuddly, kiddie movies.
    And many people don't really know that this doesn't mean that Disney will micromanage every single thing and that LucasFilm is still a quite indepentent company.

That prejudice that people have of Disney and Star Wars in the same sentence is born out of a lack of information, I think.

16. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Episode 7 will not bomb financially. People will undoubtedly complain about the movie, and say that it was a waste of time, but as long as they bought a ticket, the movie wins in that respect. :p

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I grew up in the 70s and I still don't understand paying for multiple movie tickets for a movie you hate. I hated ROTS and never paid for even one full price ticket for it (I saw it in the dollar theater and that was after much cajoling). I saw the other five films multiple times in the theater but I liked them.

But I'm not paying for your tickets so it's none of my business.

At this point there are so many directions Disney could take this that reviews could be great or horrible.

18. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I can't imagine it not being a financial success. I think there are probably a lot of people like me that are willing to give SW one more chance now that George is gone, and that will probably translate into a lot of box office.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  19. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    My love for SW was so great that I had to go back 4 times to make sure that I hated it. I really, really tried hard to love, (or even like,) the PT, but ultimately...

Doug625 likes this.
  20. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Also, it would be important to note that even if Episode 7 does suck, that does not mean other movies will as well.

They can always bring in new people, new writers/directors, try a different approach, change their tactics etc. - something that was hardly feasible while GL pulled all the strings.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  21. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Don't forget child murder, suicide, people being blown up in a dozen gory pieces(ala Riff Tamson), decapitations, and clone troopers fragging their superior.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  22. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Even if it bombs I still have this

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Moreover, for people worried about the story quality, remember they've just brought an Oscar-winning writer aboard for the screenplay.

The Mouse is not ****ing around.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Actually, I thought the movie was lame. That being said, I plan on getting the Series form the library and watchuing them (or as many seasons as I can get.)

25. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Wow! sounds intense. Makes me wonder why the movies was so soft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.