main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if Episode VII bombs?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Chaos123x, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Hmmmm, the formatting on that last post went south . . .

Lucas and Spielberg once joined forces to bring us the very disappointing "Indiana Jone and the Temple of Doom". Episode VII could indeed turn out to be not very entertaining. If it happens, we'll just have to deal with it.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I for one don't believe there will be any problems with the new Star Wars movies grossing Stupendous amounts of money, just like before-I mean a lot of fans bash the prequels and those still Ruled in the box office In spite of all of that... There's no reason to expect that these would be any different. And I don't agree with this argument that "every other George Lucas movie Lately made after Star Wars Has bombed, so this one is at risk of doing so was well"... Indiana Jones/Crystal skull did not bomb-it actually did quite well in the box office (regardless of what hard-core fans would like to convince themselves of)... also Phantom Menace 3-D did not bomb-it actually performed quite well for what it WAS: a 3-D re-release of a decade old movie.

As far as the Star Trek thing, I acknowledge that Star Trek is big, and perhaps-in the world of Astrophysics and technological development-it may have had a stronger impact than Star Wars...but as far as overall general popularity and Fanbase, Star Wars Is Way bigger Of a cultural phenomenon!!!

I mean, even from just a merchandising standpoint alone, Star Wars has Star Trek beat by a landslide and Then some! That Alone speaks to it all...besides, I do agree with some of the other posts I've seen On another threads: whenever a new Star Trek movie came out-especially even this reboot that came out in 2009-there were a few people that knew about it, Sure, but you didn't really see any trailers or anything until the standard few months in advance. but now with this new Star Wars trilogy being announced it's all over the place! So much so that even people who aren't Necessarily Star Wars fans are talking about it...it's everywhere! The 2009 Star Trek reboot had to nowhere near that kind of pre-Exposure and media hype!!

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    If they go soft, just you watch. They'll win over with kids, but the adults? Neh.

4. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Disney didn't win over kids or adults with TRON: Legacy or John Carter.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Then it's worse than I thought. LOL

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  6. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    The movie cannot bomb financially. I think we all know that. The prequels - mixed reactions and all - still made money hand over fist. Unfortunately these new films don't have that same luxury of being the first Star Wars movie since Return Of The Jedi, and I also don't doubt that there are at least a few people out there who probably care just a little less because of the bad taste left in their mouth from the prequels. I really, really hope they don't give in and shoehorn Darth Vader and Yoda into these movies just so they can plaster their faces all over everything.

Outside of that, there's no way this movie can be a commercial failure. The moment people see the trailer and they see Luke Skywalker again on the big screen, and the falcon, and all that other good stuff... Disney might as well get printing rights from the federal reserve.

7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    SW 7 may bomb with hard-core fans...so what? Enough casual summer moviegoers will buy enough tickets to turn a nice profit.

8. DarkCree

DarkCree Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2000

9. DarkCree

DarkCree Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2000
    People think Episode I bombed and look at all the money it made.

10. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    It only bombed with like half the hard-core fans, too.

11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Oh, I agree. This movie will make money, regardless if it's good. But if they turn it into Star Trek saving whales and crap, this franchise will look bad.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  12. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    No way the first one will bomb.

1. It's the OT cast back. They had me at that, and I doubt I'm alone.
    2. It's Star Wars. Regardless of differing views on the PT they did big bucks at the box office.

I can't see it failing on a commercial level. I mean I'm a first gen Star Wars fan. I saw ANH at the cinema in 78 with my dad and was such a huge fan my mum took me to London Leicester Square to see TESB and ROTJ. I saw all 3 PT at the cinema despite not being overly impressed with 1 and 2 and I'll go see the sequels too (although I'm emigrating to America so it'll be a different feel!) I have no kids but took my friends kids to see TPM, AOTC and ROTS and they loved it. These kids are grown now and marrying/having kids so the next series will have a whole new stack of fans, kids who's first experience will be the sequel trilogy. I'm just rambling! Sorry!

I guess what i'm trying to say is that its not just the cast handing on the baton, its the fans too. We all still have our faves even if we dont like the new ones

I still can't get my head round this - THERE'S GONNA BE NEW STAR WARS!!!!!

13. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    If the movie bombs its not that big of a deal, they will make tons of movies, so one being bad won't really hurt it.

14. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I'm glad they are bringing in new actors to play Han Solo & Luke so it should be a fun ride.

15. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    This has neither been confirmed nor denied. BUT most of the evidence points to the BIG 3 returning.

Why do you speak as though your post were true?

16. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Sony & Spiderman would....surely would they would.

17. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Id like to see what new young actor they cast as Luke Skywalker, I have a few ideas, but well see. Its good the Fox fanfare will have to be replaced. Disney will be able to brand THEIR on Star Wars group of movies. Looking forward to this.

18. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm curious to know why you assume they're recasting the BIg 3???

19. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    As far as "movie standards" go (i.e. making money) the movie will not bomb.. However I think there is a high probability that it will bomb with fans. And before the fans get in an uproar, keep in mind there may be a lot of hardcore fans, but their number is a fraction of normal movie goers. Also keep in mind there are two kinds of fans: hardcore fans and "everyone else who likes Star Wars". Anyone who's seen it and likes it and owns maybe a t-shirt calls themselves a "fan". I just lump them in with the regular movie goers.

So no, it would be impossible for it to bomb. Even the PT haters have to concede that by movie standards, the PT were epic blockbuster films. Sure critics clowned on them. PT haters hated them, but they were successful.

And to the core this is what I'm getting at: even if EP&, 8 & 9, makes 100s of millions of dollars, they can still suffer the fate of being hated by Star Wars fans. It happened with the PT. It could happen, good chance that it will. But no, it won't bomb at all..

20. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I don't think it will bomb SW normally do well. Knowing they will have to recast 5 of the BIG 7 & I have no issue with that being its Disneys turn to tell a story in the Universe. The Palpatine-Fox movies are still special.

21. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I think you'll end up being disappointed.

HanSolo29 and phatdude1138 like this.
  22. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    it won't bomb. No disappointments there. Cheers

23. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Lucasfilm Gnomes?

24. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    it will be great to see Portman, Mcgregor & Hayden again really glad they are being brought back.

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Trivia Fact: Star Trek IV-the Voyage Home was the biggest box office hit of the series, (U.S. dollars) until the reboot. Just sayin'

the_sinister_hologram likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.