main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What if Episode VII is a critical and commercial failure?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Feelicks, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Feelicks

Feelicks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2012
    We can only think of the possibilities.

501st legion burning down disneyland is one of them

2. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
  3. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
  4. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    umm, i really personally don't care if its a success or not.
    I love the franchise and will see the movies when they come out.

Hopefully Disney can help Lucas gain some of his credibility.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If it bombs then we get mad and rage on the internet as if it will make a difference to anything. Also by doing so we admit we have no lives and that a movie series is more important to us than all other things.

But hey, that is what nerds do :p

6. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    who u callin nerd, nerd

[​IMG]

7. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's hard for a movie like this to fail commercially but the cult of box office analysts will dissect and compare every daily gross and be quick to spread word of it not being a success just because its midnight showing makes five dollars less than another movie's midnight showing, and then from that doofuses will kick it around saying "I heard it sucked." I really can't stand the culture of box office reporting.
    Furthermore, the critics will be so ready to pounce they've probably already drafted their reviews.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Disney will buy something else. I hear that Firefly series pulls in the money like Scrooge McDuck.

9. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    If it's a critical failure, then we relive the Episode I and II days. Commercial, well, that would be something new entirely.

10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Then maybe they'll hire a competent director for Episode 8. BADUM-TSHHHH.

Episode Swag likes this.
  11. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    Disney would not have plunked down $4.2 B with the intent to make one or more commercial failures. As mediocre as EP I, II, and VI were, they were still commerically successful. Now that the property has been pried from GL's cold, live hands by sufficient cash, the creative forces at Disney will do the best they can to make the most excellent cash cows possible.

12. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
  13. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Sure, EP VII may be a critical failture & get poor reviews, but there is no doubt in my mind that it will make a lot of $ at the box office. It's a Star Wars movie.

Look at TPM back in '99 (I movie I really liked, but that's beside the point). It got slammed by critics in magazines/newspapers & by fans on the then-relatively new Internet, and it still made tons of $. And, some people may have forgotten this: After TPM finished it's initial theatrical run that summer, it was re-released to theatres again in November/December of '99 for another limited theatrical run.

14. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    If it bombs then Kennedy will be fired and Disney will bring in someone like Joss Whedon who's contract with Marvel expires in 2015.

15. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
  16. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Critical Failure... is possible.
    Commercial Failure... isn't.

17. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    This

Atleast not the first movie. But if episode 7 is bad, its going to have a direct impact on 8,9. They have to get the first film right imo.

18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    We already had a very long thread for this. This thread will be short-lived.

That is the answer. LOCK.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    One of the problems with the prequels was that George became a penny pincher. He skimped on his own visual effects, and so the prequels never looked as good visually as some of the movies that ILM did for other outside projects. To make a Star Wars movie that really stands out visually is going to cost plenty. Then Disney will put its marketing muscle behind it. It may not have to cost quite as much as John Carter, but it has to look better, and a $200-$220 million budget with another $100-$150 million for global marketing doesn't sound like a stretch.

Given those kind of costs, and given the beating that the brand name has taken with the general moviegoing public, it may not be as easy to make a commercially successful Star Wars film as you think.

Darth EL Pollo Loco likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm a little nervous about Disney's The Lone Ranger since that's supposed to have a huge budget as well, and it was even cancelled for a time because of budget overruns.

22. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]
    Let's fire a seasoned producer for an overrated guy.

And don't say a commercial failure cannot happen. It happened before. :p

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It has the potential of underperforming. As far as being a full on flop? I highly doubt that.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  24. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    With Abrams on board I am much more optimistic than I was at first when Disney announced that it would make a new trilogy. The expectations are high even though we know nothing of the films themselves yet because this is STAR WARS. J. J. Abrams is no fool and I am quite sure he understand the recipes of a good SW film. He will surround himself with worthy people and have George Lucas clobe-by if he needs advices. Lucasfilm as it's reputation to maintain and will mobilize all it's ressources on the making of the films but also on the promotions. I am positive right now, Kathleen Kennedy as impressed me so far and all seems under control. Chances are we we'll get some good SW in 2015 or 2016.

25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It won't fail simply because it's Star Wars.