main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What If George Lucas Never Created Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by TheBlogAwakens, Feb 17, 2017.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd have fewer friends. :( And would have seen less of the world because I have done some of my traveling with a friend I met through this fandom.

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I wouldn't have cool moderator friends on the JCF.

3. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    If George Lucas never finished film school, there's more than just Star Wars that wouldn't exist. ILM, THX, Pixar, etc. In other words, blockbusters and modern CGI wouldn't have existed until much later. Eventually technology would catch up, but movies like Toy Story and Jurassic Park wouldn't have been possible to make until the early or late 2000's. Science fiction films would be a lot different, more nerdy and not so action-oriented. This would've instead paved the way for fantasy and make fantasy even less nerdy and more action-oriented.

On another (and most unfortunate) note, the MCU would not exist since Marvel definitely would have gone bankrupt in the late 90's. Fewer film studios would've been interested in buying the rights for characters such as Spider-Man and Hulk because the technology to make them appear on screen would still be lacking. Instead, DC would have bought Marvel and it's quite possible that DC sooner or later would've rebooted the DC Universe to make certain popular Marvel characters appear in the comics. However, with DC being the one and only big comicbook company still running, we would've seen more DC movies and quite possibly, with the help of people from Marvel now working for them, a great DC cinematic universe.

Gamiel, Jester J Binks and Lulu Mars like this.
  4. My life would not be the same without doubt

5. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    I would waste my life on something else.

6. PoorRebel

PoorRebel Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    :"D And eveyone would think that's a ridiculous name ... :p The thing is that if George had written Star Wars without the help of a lot of people, the project had been a dead fish in the water from the very beginning. It's not a mystery why the prequels are the way they are - because it actually is what is going to happen when George does it all alone... :"|

Finland Skywalker likes this.
  7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    All the Jaws fanboys collecting their little shark figurines.

Lord Sith Harloxzz and Sarge like this.
  8. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Either CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND or SUPERMAN likely would’ve initiated the blockbuster craze instead.

9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The Nostromo would've looked like this: [​IMG]

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  10. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Flash Gordon, actually. Though he seems to have wanted to make the villain more of a satire on American politics of the 70s rather than the stock Yellow Peril figure of Ming the Merciless.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I imagine I'd have gotten more into comic books perhaps. Or done more sports...:p

Either way, I bet the movie industry in general would've been quite boring. Even to this day. Visually, as well as story/genre-wise.

12. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I would lock myself in a bathroom & cry

13. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    It wouldn't be fun.

14. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Except Battlestar Galactica could not possibly have happened without SW! If sci-fi had stayed popular at all it would likely have been Star Trek or Space: 1999 based. Those had at least some kind of popularity before ANH.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They picked it specifically because it got a remake, and came out very closely after ANH.

The "every 50th episode" parody continues, with each entry having a

"It was remade recently as a new, updated television series with a bigger budget, high-tech computerised special effects, and edgy writing. And it sucked."

section - even when it might not make sense.

Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.
  16. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Well, never watched a single episode of the remake. But the original Galactica is very obviously based on the success of SW, no? Even the fighters look a lot like the X-Wing. And the Galactica resembles a star destroyer a lot, not in shape but in the details.

17. cookeycat

cookeycat Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2016
    I wouldn't be obsessed with a fictional alien character {Lom, my true love}.
    I wouldn't got my first tattoo with a logo of the Pyke Syndicate.
    I wouldn't be active on cocial media; acting like an idiot; trying to get attention to find some other people who also like the same character(s) as I do.
    I would never created my stupid OC :3
    I wouldn't be upsed because I hate SW fandom's favourite characters {mostly Ahsoka} and SW fandom hates/dislikes/doesn't care for mine.
    I would get less stress and no haters.

My English would be even worse than it is now {cuz it's not my first language}.

18. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future. Even the alternate ones.

One thing's for sure: I'd still be a super-cool guy.

19. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    In the short term, Lucas would probably have gone on to film Apocalypse Now, which Coppola essentially took over while Lucas was working on SW.

Though it's anyone's guess how well Lucas would've coped with shooting it, or whether the film would've become such a difficult production as it was under Coppola. I suspect Lucas would've probably opted to film in Hawaii or somewhere else that could double for Vietnam without the logistical problems of the Philippines.

20. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    We wouldn't have James Cameron movies since he was inspired to quit his job and become a director thanks to SW. I feel the movie industry as a whole would be very different, we may still have credits at the beginning of movies only or would have just been a recent thing and special effects would have taken longer to evolve.

21. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    No Star Wars? Wow, we probably wouldn't have Lucasfilm or ILM, not to mention Skywalker Sound . Considering the many times you see how these three have contributed in the end credits of movies, I would say cinema would look and sound very different. In fact it is hard to find a movie nowadays that doesn't have Industrial Light and Magic included as a vital contributor.

As for me personally, I have been obsessed with Star Wars for over thirty years. I couldn't imagine what my life would be like without it. I would certainly have a lot more money in my account as I wouldn't have spent it on my ever growing collection.

The world would be a much duller place.

Resic likes this.
  22. DarkEnforcer

DarkEnforcer Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2017

This is an interesting question. As a Star Wars fan, this actually sends chills down my spine. Though what would even be more mind-boggling is an alternate reality, where Star Wars still happens even without George Lucas, and with a different director and narrative, overall.

"Luke, your father, I am!"
    -Yoda

[face_plain]

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'd have a dining room instead of a Star Wars merchandise display area.

Gamiel and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Then Star Trek would rule the world...

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  25. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Then I would be more insane than I already am.