main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What If George Lucas Never Created Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by TheBlogAwakens, Feb 17, 2017.

1. RandySolo

RandySolo Jedi Knight

Jun 12, 2018
    I would have come up with it eventually.

christophero30 likes this.
  2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The Last Starfighter would have changed cinema forever.

moreorless12 likes this.
  3. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    Star Trek died after season three. The Star Wars films series brought back interest in space adventure and prompted Paramount to come up with a Star Trek reboot to compete with Star Wars.

4. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    We would all currently be doing something equally as nerdy. :p

5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Why would anyone ever contemplate this?

6. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    After a bit of consideration, I've come to the conclusion that Marvel would have been the most popular franchise. It has heaploads of characters and stories.

Even though I do not like most Marvel films because of the CGI overload, they are in principle impressive characters/stories, most of them science fiction based. Even the fantasy character like Thor is popular and even though many non-canon Star Wars works have fantasy in them, they're still quite popular.

All the other SW knock-offs you people mentioned would have just passed. Marvel products by contrast would have taken over the box office at the top.

7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The Lord of the Rings series would have probably come into existence a lot sooner.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    How do you figure that? LotR had to wait until VFX techniques could realistically depict Tolkien's vision, and without SW, VFX development likely would have moved much slower.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Still would have come out much sooner than it did. I'm not saying it would have been the masterpiece that was Jackson's trilogy. Just that demand for it would have probably seen it made much sooner.

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    The year is 1976. SkyNet sends a Terminator back in time to kill George Lucas. It succeeds. The world never knows Star Wars.

Flash forward. The year is 2010. I still can't get a date to prom. The timeline is preserved.

Fin.

11. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    Something else would have changed movie-making, eventually.
    Kind of hard to imagine that, now, though, who might've been up to the challenge!

12. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    What if possibilities...... endless....
    What if Lucas had shelved his idea for 10 years and released Star Wars in 1987? Would it have been as successful? Would it be totally different than the version we know happened in our reality?
    How would film have evolved in the 1980s without that huge Star Wars hit in 1977 and then it's sequel in 1980? Would another filmmaker have have come to light without Lucas and Star Wars? Chances are yes! But possibility No.
    If Hitler had been killed in the 1920 while in prison would WW2 have happened? What of Hitler didn't invade the Soviet Union in 1940? Would Germany have won the war without dealing with the Russians from the east?

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There would be, at least, 277 sequels/spin-offs/reboots of Logan's Run.

14. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    With a several part saga and multimedia franchise unto itself! :p

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  15. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Ronald Reagan would probably have called his SDI proposal the "Superman" system.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  16. ForScience

ForScience Jedi Padawan

Apr 8, 2019
    Paramount had been mulling over a Star Trek movie since the early 70's, so one would have eventually popped up- just not a big budget one.

17. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    More likely the Phase II series, which became the first Trek movie after SW and Close Encounters came out.

18. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    The Phase 2 movies were stunning. Get it?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    If I may, I would like to pose a different, but somewhat similar question, which was actually inspired by the upcoming movie Yesterday.

What if you woke up one day and discovered that you were the only person who remembered Star Wars?

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If I still had the books, etc I'd get started on that screenplay..

21. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    On TFN's homepage the title of this thread comes up as "What if George Lucas Never...", which might in itself be an interesting fill-in-the-blank exercise. :p

indydefense likes this.
  22. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    One alternative I spose is that "new Hollywood" would carry on being more successful for awhile. I mean most obviously Starwars release helped hold back William Friedkin's Sorcerer so perhaps that's more successful?

23. Sephiroth1335

Sephiroth1335 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2019
    I don't know honestly... bnut on some fundamental level I think we just wouldn't have had star Wars... that seems like a safe starting point.

24. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    If it hadn't been for Star Wars we would've had the corny space operas that appeared on TV in the 80's! BSG, BR,etc...Can anyone remember what good Sci-Fi was out in the late 70's? Logan's Run... was one Did you know that in LA at the early cons, held at hotels, they had "Runs"? based off of Logan's Run! people in costumes would be running around the hotel, with the little guns playing out Logan's run blasting each other, playing dead, etc.! no one said a thing, got scared or called the police, then came Star Wars, this "practice" was used again,but with Stormtroopers and Rebels running around! There was even a planned Imperial raid on Rebels coming up from LA to San Francisco at the airport- no problem!!! very fun to see. but this was before,The Dark TImes, that we are still living in today!

25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Actually, we only got the corny space operas in the 80's because SW was so successful in the 70s and TV execs were desperate to cash in. I think we'd have gotten a lot more family sitcom stuff or cop shows, which were riding high.