main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What if George Lucas released his 'cut' of TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by star wars geek, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I think George would Have made a Great Episode 7 but It was time for him to step down, move on to other things. I am looking forward to what Abrams and Rian can give us, A NEW GENERATION ....

2. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014
    That scene with Howard and Lea Thompson disturbed my REM sleep for years.

4. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    What if GL released his cut of TFA...then he should post it in the fan fiction forum.

5. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    Those Lucas spoofers will have another trailer to work with soon hopefully. It will be a challenge for them to top their first teaser for broad grins. Classic.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  6. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Pretty sure this interview goes a long way to explain why Lucas would never do that, he's handed it off to J.J and Kennedy, I'm sure whatever he thinks of the outcome he respects them enough to be able to say it's their movie and it has to be made how they want it.

Since 1997, the year Lucas released his special editions of the original “Star Wars” movies in theaters, he has been attacked by the very fans who once embraced his heroic style. They didn’t like how Lucas changed the old movies; they didn’t like the prequels, which seemed wooden and juvenile; and the Star Wars merchandising blitz they once gorged on had begun to drive them nuts. (All six “Star Wars” films will return to theaters in 3-D, beginning in February.)
    “I think there are a lot more important things in the world” than feuds with fanboys, Lucas says with a kind of weary diffidence. But then he gets serious, even a little wounded. Lucas explains that his first major features — “THX 1138” and “American Graffiti” — were forcibly re-edited by the studios. Those were wrenching experiences he has compared to someone keying your car (he loves cars) or chopping a finger off one of your children (he has three and loves them too). Afterward, Lucas set out to gain financial independence so the final cut would forever be his. “If the movie doesn’t work,” he vowed, “it’s going to be my fault.”
    In the last decade and a half, Lucas has given “Star Wars” several “final” cuts. For the 1997 special edition, he made Greedo, a green-skinned alien, fire his blaster at Han Solo because Han’s murdering Greedo in cold blood — as the 1977 version had it — struck him as a violation of his own naïve style. For the new Blu-ray version of “Return of the Jedi,” Lucas added Darth Vader shouting, “Nooo!” as he seizes the evil emperor in the movie’s climactic scene. Lucas made the Ewoks blink. And so forth.
    When fanboys wailed, Lucas did not just hear the scream of young Jedis; he heard something like the voice of the studio. The dumb, uncomprehending voice in his Socratic dialogues — a voice telling him how to make a blockbuster. “On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie,” Lucas says, referring to fans who, like the dreaded studios, have done their own forcible re-edits. “I’m saying: ‘Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.’ ”
    Lucas seized control of his movies from the studios only to discover that the fanboys could still give him script notes. “Why would I make any more,” Lucas says of the “Star Wars” movies, “when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”

7. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    He did it with Richard Marquand in the latest special edition of Jedi (Vader's idiotic and scene ruining shout of "NOOOOOO" at the end), and in 1997 with that stupid musical number.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  8. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

Yeah, but SW was still basically 'his' ... now, he's handed it off. As for the other... yes! on the no! and I like the Peruvian Ewok music better than the appalling "celebrate the love, yubyub" that was there originally. Back when he never intended to make any more SW (and of course, someone will come along and argue with that because notes back in 1975 yadda yadda yadda...)

9. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    :rolleyes: Remember THX-1138 , American Graffiti ,Willow AND Indiana Jones series ?

Flapjack4, Samnz and CGI-BOBAFENT like this.
  10. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    That's a legitimate argument. I don't assume you're one of them - however, I just always find it humorous when the same people who regularly claim Marquand was just Lucas' "puppet" and ROTJ was the "first sign" that "too much control for Lucas" was "bad" (you know, after the holy Gary Kurtz was fired) suddenly see themselves as the preservers of Richard Marquand's "puppet vision".

Seriously though, why would Lucas or anyone else even think about that?
    Lucas sold the company, because he's done with Star Wars.

11. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    I would love to read George's idea for Shadows of The Sith

12. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

Marquand directed that movie. Lucas picked him and had a lot of pull on set, but that's it.

As for thew Musical number, i'm talking about Sy Snoodles weird dancing number with that little thing (Yazzum?) both front and center. Idiotic. Originally, they were just scenery but the point got across, in 1997 they're in your face! The special editions hurt ROTJ far more than the other two (yes, even Greedo shooting first, which was somewhat fixed in the most recent SE, at least he doesn't miss by four feet from across a table). And as for Vader, him silently making the decision to save Luke had FAR more gravitas and meaning than ANY yell could have. Wrecks the whole scene, IMO. For this reason, i just don't want to buy that Blu-Ray set. Most powerful scene in the whole OT was essentially wordless and ruined with one word. Before you folks accuse me of bashing Lucas, War and Peace would have been messed up if Tolstoy would have kept screwing around with it years later. When something's done, it's done. Move on and don't repeat the same mistake you feel you made last time. It's not Lucas, it's any artist. The Mona Lisa is no different. She would look ridiculous with a mustache. Had DaVinci looked at that painting twenty years later and decided "You know what? I'll give her bigger boobs" that painting would not be hanging in the Louvre.

/Rant

13. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    You may hate the changes all you want, rightly of wrongly, but there is the fact that Lucas was involved in the making of ROTJ from writing the first word of the script to editing the last frame of the final product while he has small to zero involvement in the making of TFA. It's not comparable. Lucas would certainly see himself as the (first) person to make hypothetical
    future cuts of the PT and OT movies, but he won't think for a minute about making "his" cut of TFA.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  14. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

He has nothing to do with TFA. I'm not ecstatic about that, IMO Star Wars needs GL. But he doesn't walk on water any more than any of the rest of us do. He's made mistakes as well.

Believe it or not, i'm good with most of the PT. As a fan, i'm good.

15. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Jar-Jar wedding? Sign me up ;)

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This thread began dying a rapid death by the second post. Consider this a gentle mercy killing. I'm simply here to euthanize it so it doesn't suffer any longer.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.