main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

P.Rico What if Jar Jar had been killed on Episode I?

Discussion in 'Latin America General Discussion' started by Jan_Solo, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan_Solo

Jan_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Another "What If..." scenario to think about:

What if Jar Jar Binks had been killed by the Trade Federation Battle Droids at Naboo or by Sebulba at Tatooine in Episode One? It was Jar Jar who started the motion that gave Palpatine supreme and unanimous powers in the Galactic Senate in Episode 2. Think about it... What would have happened? How would Ep. II have ended? How different would Episode III be?

What do you guys think? :D

2. Skalderan

Skalderan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    Life would have been so much sweeter!

3. digital-skywalker

digital-skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    i would have been much much happier

4. kyle_katarn_pr

kyle_katarn_pr Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2002
    De Jar Jar Binks haber muerto en Ep.1 el filme hubiese sido mucho mejor.

No creo que la muerte del maldito Gungan hubiese tenido mucho impacto en los eventos que acontesieron en el segundo Episodio. Palpatine hubiese encontrado otra namera de optener el poder absoluto en de la Republica. Probablemente el futuro emperador hubiese utilizado a Darth Tyranus y su movimiento separatista para crear mas miedo y chaos ( como los terroristas inmediatamente despues de 9-11) y eventualmente alguien hubiese convocado esa nocion.

Porlo tanto , creo que la muerte de Jar Jar Binks no huebese afectado en lo absoluto el fin de Ep.2 , ni la historia de Ep. 3 .

5. Corran_Horn_

Corran_Horn_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2002
    "It would have been a case of no Empire, no longer. . ." -Eddie Izzard, Dress to Kill

Maybe there would have been Empire, but with a different spin. . .

Matar a JarJar hubiese sido entretenido, though. . .

Espero que muera like a punk in E3, he deserves it!

6. Obi-Ian-Kenobi

Obi-Ian-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2002
    Kyle....lamento decirte q estamos hablando de una pelicula PG por lo tanto no creo q Lucas hubiese tirado la maroma de hacer cosas mas crueles con el futuro emperador y Dooku!!!

"Espero que muera like a punk in E3, he deserves it"

I want real reason why he desves it......no quiero eso de q..
    "me cae mal"......"es annoying"......es un bobolon"......quiero razones reales y legales!!

7. Master_CorelliaN

Master_CorelliaN Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2002

Well I´am not Fan of Jar Jar
    but to tell you the true, if it was´nt
    for him, Naboo would have been somehow
    invaded By Mr. Gunray.

By the other hand...he is one of the
    most influecial persons who did
    create the EMPIRE...!!!

What a Stupid Alien is he.

See you...!!!

8. Corran_Horn_

Corran_Horn_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2002
    I don't hate Jar Jar. . .how about "intense dislike."

And I'll tell you why I don't like Jar Jar. This is after all an entirely subjective opinion so disagreement is welcome, but leave the flamethrower at home, ya'll.

One of the flaws of TPM is that it strived to capture the humor of the OT but it didn't quite click. Not having the usual manner to deliver comic relief in the OT (mainly the droids and Han's sardonic humor), GL decided to create literally a walking comic relief, Jar Jar. The idea is not a problem, however, it was the execution of the idea that killed it.

SW humor in the OT as a rule of thumb consisted in what has become classic SW banter. In other words, nicely done wordplay between the characters, ie Threepio and Artoo's banter. While it might be said that there was some slapstick in the OT (Threepio kicking Artoo comes to mind) the instances were very few.

The execution of JarJar Binks in the TPM became a tour de force in slapstick, something that really seems out of place in the SW universe (in the spirit of the OT.) Having a character falling down and bringing half the house with him is just. . .not right when talking SW.

The second problem with Jar Jar, and really my main grievance, was the type of humor used. In the OT, usually, the instances of humor where sophisticated wordplay which you had to "get" to laugh. That makes it enjoyable for an older audience/ It might be argued that SW are a kid's movie, and that might be the case. But kids movies usually work on two levels, for the parents to enjoy as well. That was the type of humor used in the OT as comic relief. The few moments of what could potentially called slapsticks were restricted as such that they didn't cross the line to be just plain silly.

Even ROTJ, the more slapstick instensive movie of the OT (and probably the more kid friendly) didn't have more than 2 or 3 moments of true slapstick. Wickett wacking himself comes to mind. But unlike Jar Jar, Wickett the Ewok did not slip in Mynock poodoo. That would have ruined his character completely. His comic relief moment was in tune with the moment around him and it served the purpose of giving us a chuckle in a moment of tension. It wasn't silly just for the sake of being silly.

And that is the main problem with Jar Jar: silliness. The humor used through Jar Jar is just plain silly. His funny actions have no effect on the story except to be silly.

In TPM this was the first time in the SW films that a character behaved like an idiot every single time he was onscreen. Even Threepio, what might be said was the silly character of the OT, didn't make an ass of himself everytime he opened his mouth. Unlike every other "comedy" character in SW, Jar Jar did not have a single moment of redemption or true heroism in the entire movie. He was always a coward and always an idiot. There wasn't a single moment where Jar Jar saved other people or did anything akin to being heroic or selfless, like Threepio's "Leave me here sir" in ANH. In truth, Jar Jar didn't make us care if he lived or died, he was just an idiot.

I think the problem with Jar Jar is that GL tried too hard to make him funny. He resorted to slapstick and bathroom humor that might be funny in some context I(or everytime if you are five years old) but seems horribly out of place in the SW universe.

I mean, walking on crap! Come on! Helloooo GL! Anybody home!

I think the South Park episode with Jakovasaurs expressed our grievances with Jar Jar beautifully. If you try to be funny too hard. . .it just isn't funny. (Unless you are five, French or Eric Cartman.)

In summary, Jar Jar broke with our expectations of what SW humor is supposed to be and he did so in a way that seemed forced and out of place. Maybe had he been planned better or given more thought, he might have worked. But he became a totally useless character who, along with Jake's horribly painful bad acting and horribly delivered lines that make me grimace in pain, made TPM slip into the bottom of the

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.