main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if KOTOR was made into a movie(s)?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Star-Raider, Aug 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star-Raider

Star-Raider Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2004
    Hello. :) I'm so sorry if this has been posted already, or if its in the worung Forum. I'm not sure where this would belong. This is my best guess. :)

Anyway, I LOVE KOTOR and play this game Religously (SP?).

The game's story, characters, plot, music, conflict, locales, and everyhting are just so expertly told, and portayed, and are LEGENDARY, and so EPIC, and thrilling, and interesting, and it sucks you in, that I thought:

Hey! What IF KOTOR was made into a movie? How would they exicute that? Would they didvie it into several episodes? How would they handle: the Reven thing? Which side quests need to be dropped? What characters can be removed? Added? Dark Side ending? Light? How would they twist the story to make it more "Movie" like? etc, etc, etc.

So, I tohught it would be fun to analyize KOTOR, and just see and share ideas on how KOTOR could be made into a movie. :)

Again sorry if this is in the wroung forum. :(

Here are my ideas to get the ball rolling with this thread :):

KOTOR could be divided into a trilogy:

Episode1- Attack on the Endar Spire-Taris-Escape Taris-Arrival on Dantooine. Movie ends on a sad note with Taris being desturcted, OR a hopeful note, with our heroes being commended by the Jedi for saving Bastilla on Dantooine.

Episode 2- Dantooine-Star Map quests begins-Continues-Ends on Leviathon, and with the revelation surprise. Much like ESB. Much darker.

Episode3- FInal Star Map- Unknown PLanet- Star Forge-Final.

And in regards to Reven being male or female:

I would say have TWO main characters: One male and one female. The female could have been the Sith Mistress and Revan the Master. So we can have BOTH romances with Carth AND Bastilla intact. And the Revan Revleation doubled.

Dark Side ending or LIght:
    Well, being the sap that I am, I'd say LIght. More touching to me. :)

These are just my ideas, WHat are yours? :)

Again SO sorry if this has been brought up before, or is wroung forum. :(

Thank you. :)

2. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    Hey raider,

This probably belongs in the games forum, or perhaps a movie forum (though in which one in particular this could fit, I couldn't say)- though you'd most likely be ducking constant flames from the purists. hehe.

HOWEVER, I must say that I really need to get this game. I've heard a lot of people echoing your sentiments on how epic, amazing and film worthy the plot and characters are.

And while I am sure your post is purely speculative and for conversations sake (and its a shame that it will undoubtedly get locked down in a few monutes), I can't see LFL agreeing to developing anything into a movie, much less a game (given the track record of game-movie conversions [read: street fighter & mortal combat. ahah. god they were awful]).

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The ingame movies beat anything of the first trilogy; the music more so.

4. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Yes, I'm rather hoping they release Jeremy Soule's masterful work on a CD because it - quite frankly - rocks. My tape I recorded of it isn't quite up to scratch however ;)

5. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    It'd make for one hell of a long movie...

(Yes, it could be condensed, no, I don't hate long movies, ouch, quit poking me.)

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I completely agree about how to do the Episodes as a trilogy. However I think that they should just have the male Revan and I definatly think they should go with the Light Side ending, as it echoes the celebration at the end of ANH. I think casting this movie would be rather difficult. Especially for Revan.

-Jedi Master Zax Starwalker

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    A KOTOR movie would ruin the story, which is best experienced as the main character.

8. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I think that this is the proper forum for this.

I also think that KOTOR shouldn't be made into a movie. High budget television miniseries, maybe. But not movie.

9. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    KOTOR seems like the kind of thing that would be made into an Anime or single-story-arc cartoon. These kinds are popular in Germany, and involve a cast of characters going through a single adventure or quest over a period of episodes (anywhere from 5 to 500) Unlike most cartoons, which, like most television, is a half-hour to one hour vigniette that has little or no relation to the previous or forthcoming episode. I suppose that I am trying to describe a soap opera made into a cartoon.

KOTOR would work best in a format which does not require the many parts to be cast, which doesn't require high-budget special effects (like a film or miniseries would) and which could be stretched out over a long perior of time. Each episode would cover a single subplot, character development, miniquest, and each episode would build up to the more important events (finding a Star Map, escaping Taris, reaching the Star Forge) The game could probably fit into 40-50 half-hour television episodes, or be reduced to 25-35 half-hour episodes, which cut out much of the character interaction and many of the subplots. Hour-long episodes or two-hour films would force either too much detail to be put in, condense too many issues, or force too much to be cut out. Half-hour segments, with the occasional one-hour episode for more important events would work best IMO.

10. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    That would be cool! I would want to play Revan!!!:p

11. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    I would prefer a comic book adaptation. You could even have 2 adaptations. One the canon light side take. And the other being the infinities dark side take.

While we are at it I would want stuff about the Mandalorian Wars and Revan's history.

Besides. GL would never make movies out of the EU. He would probably not even conisider making TTT into Eps 7, 8 and 9. What would these be. Eps -1, -2 and -3? ;)

12. Jedi-Sith

Jedi-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 4, 2001
    I've often thought about writing a screenplay for KOTOR.

It could be made to fit one film I think, as you wouldn't put most of the Side Quests in, only the character ones (Missions brother, Bastila's mother, Carth's Son, Zaalbar's is compulsory for the story, Canderous' duel and the law case of Jolee's friend, and the slaver for Juhani) and perhaps some of the Korriban ones, since they're kinda important to the story, but the others you'd ignore.

I'd have all the characters in the missions togethor, not just three at a time (this makes some of the fights more realistic [especially Star Forge, and routing out the Sith Academy])

I'd try to cast the characters as close to the actual screen characters as possible, but it wouldn't really matter, and Revan would be male light side and I don't think it would matter who you cast for him, coz he can look like anyone.

you'd have to change a few things such as how Malak freezes Carth and Bastila to battle you, I'd have him throw them back behind a door which shuts and locks, same when Bastila fights you on the Star Forge, change things like that a little.

You'd have to choose some name for the main character.

As a guy who does sword choreography for theatre, I'd really enjoy doing some of those lightsaber fights, especially the routing out of the Sith Academy.

Taris would have the escape from Endar Spire, then go straight to the underworld cantina meet Mission after the arrival on planet, go to Gadon, then the Underworld (skip the Promised Land) and help Mission save Zaalbar, go to the Vulkars and capture the accelerator, run the race, save Bastila. Meet with Canderous and infiltrate the Sith Base. then steal the Ebon Hawk.

Dantooine, you have the whole Jedi training pretty much the same way they did with the video in the game, then go redeem Juhani. THen investigate the tombs (skip the family dispute) and start your quest for the Star Forge.

Don't have Yavin in it, unneccersary for the story.

Kashyyyk first, Zaalbar is captured and you all go down to the forest floor and run into Calo Nord and his goons. In a stand off firefight I'd have the Jedi (Revan, Bastila and Juhani) charge Nord's goons while Canderous takes out Calo himself. Meet Jolee Bindo who joins you, skip the Czerka operation, and find the Star Map, then run into Zaalbar's father and bring him back to Chuundar. Leave Kashyyyk to the Wookiees.

Tatooine next, upon arrival you learn of Missions brother, Bastila's mother, and Jagi confronts Canderous, challenging him to a duel. You get the hunters licence and confront Bastila's mother. YOu get HK-47 and infiltrate the Tusken Camp, negotiate a temporary version of peace and rescue Griff. You then head off into the Dune Sea and find Jagi. Then the Star Map, then leave the dustball behind.

Manaan next and run into Juhani's slaver friend. Then as you trek through the city you learn about Jolee's friend, investigate and find him guilty after learning the truth. Then go to the Republic embassy, infiltrate the Sith Embassy (learn about the Selkath young so you can get out of trouble) then go down to the mining operation and find the Star Map.
    Before you can leave though you confront Darth Bandon and three Sith Lords with him. Revan orders the others back while the four Jedi step forward. Revan takes on Bandon while the others fight there own Sith.
    After the battle they make there way back to the Ship and leave the planet.

Just before the capture by the leviathan have the scene where Bastila and Revan kiss and admit there love for each other. Putting this just before she gets captured would be good and typical movie format.

Captured by the Leviathan, played out similar to the game, since there are no side quests anyway, you could use any of the choices for the beginning, personally I think T3-M4's is the best choice. Then have them split up and the three biggies head for the bridge. Kill Saul Karath, confront Malak, learn of Revan's true past, Bastila is captured and the others escape.

Have the cute little scene in hyperspace after

13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    A KOTOR telemovie? Hmmm . . . [face_thinking]

You could see your three companions consult with a cadre of Dark Jedi Masters if they have enough attributes and feats to have a quick fight.

That was [face_laugh]

14. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Good job Jedi-Sith. But I would have them go to Tatooine first. You gotta have HK-47 as soon as possible, meatbag.

15. Jedi-Sith

Jedi-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 4, 2001
    yeah I originally had them go to Tatooine first, but I realised that then Griff's sidequest with the Tach Gland, you could have them already have picked one up for some reason on Kashyyyk, not that that bits especially important so could be easily skipped.

16. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    The game can't really be produced as anything else except maybe comics or a novel, probably a novel best. The problem with visual media (cartoons and movies) is that cartoons are on TV, which needs to be faster paced for viewers with zero attention span, and movies need to be 2-3 hours at the max. Novels can be very long if necessary without being overly expensive, unlike comics, so that's most likely the best. However, a novel like that would wander a lot, and probably only fanpeople like us would buy it.

17. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    i agree that "The game's story, characters, plot, music, conflict, locales, and everyhting are just so expertly told, and portayed, and are LEGENDARY, and so EPIC, and thrilling, and interesting, and it sucks you in, that I thought".

It doesnt mean that i want to see film based on
    these games instead of PT. I love PT, but I'm sometimes surprised why - at least some concepts used in KOTOR - weren't introduced to the TPM or AOTC.

Stange choices just make me wonder.

Although I admire both prequels, I think it might give them more impact and epic feel.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No one else thinks that transferring KotOR to another medium would ruin the storytelling?

19. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    That's kind of what I said, Guy, but maybe it wasn't clear.

20. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    It's just hard to have an official story when it all depends on player preference. Was Revan male or female? Can't tell you that because officially Revan has no gender. What exactly happened? Can't tell you that because there are no official details.

The same thing goes for Jedi Academy. Jadan Korr can't have a cameo in a novel or comic because Jadan has no official species or gender. Comic adaptations would be nice IMO. Not a TV series. Actors would ruin it. I can't see someone doing a good Jolee, Bastila and Canderous on screen. And I'm not a fan of cartoons.

21. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    Jaden is quasi-officially a pink Twi'lek female, as a picture of her on Hoth is in a sourcebook or guide.

And Revan is going to be given an official gender and alter ego, just you wait.

22. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Jaden is quasi-officially a pink Twi'lek female, as a picture of her on Hoth is in a sourcebook or guide.

Pink!?!? The hot Jedi Twi'leks are supposed to be blue!

And Revan is going to be given an official gender and alter ego, just you wait.

Hopefully either the bald guy with the manchu or the hot chick with dark hair.

23. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I was thinking about this, and KoTOR would probably be one of the most successful video game-to-movie adaptations. Most video games have either A) too little plot, or B) too much plot, to be a movie. For example, most of the time spent in video games is time fighting or shooting things, something that doesn't translate well to a movie with any hope of being half-good. On the other hand, you have Final Fantasy-type games, with way more plot than a movie could hold.

I think KoTOR strikes a great balance between these two. Dream cast:

Producer: George Lucas
    Director: Steven Spielberg

Revan: Tim Robbins
    Bastila: Nicole Kidman
    Carth Onasi: Colin Farrell
    Canderous Ordo: Anthony Hopkins
    Mission Vao: Christy Carlson Romano
    Malak: Johnny Depp

Would that not be awesome?

24. Durnar

Durnar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2004
    If they made it like a TV version of the Final Fantasy movie (very good cgi) thatd be good, and you could get the original cast back. it would still never be as good as playing the game though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.