main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What if Lucas had decided to set Star Wars in earth's future?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Jul 22, 2017.

1. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    Instead of having it take place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, what if George Lucas had set the story way into Earth's (our) future, like in the 28th century or something, and the force came about on its own and no one in the Milky Way galaxy really knows why or how it did?

My point is, do you think it would've taken away from the Star Wars lore and overall storyline at all if GL had decided to do that? Or would it have made it worse?

Personally, I like the fact that it doesn't take place in our future. But having said that I will always wonder how humans ended up in the Star Wars galaxy,

BookExogorth likes this.
  2. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    I think part of the fun is that it's set in a fantastical setting, and that it would be more mundane if it was just advanced earth.
    Even though a story about such things wouldn't be normal.

3. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999

Yeah I hear ya, since Star Wars is much more of a fantasy than science fiction, and if it had taken place in our future, you lose a lot of that fantasy element. It would be like saying that Middle-Earth happened on our Earth in the past. I think it's better that Tolkien had it take place in some alternate universe rather than our own.

BookExogorth likes this.
  4. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    It would have taken a bit away. It would have felt a little distracting in bringing in questions like why aliens hadn't had contact by our time, why they were all comparably technologically advanced, why Earth wasn't more the center of conflict and attention (or even why it was if it had been).

CrAsHcHaOs likes this.
  5. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I never researched this, but I think a lot of Sci-Fi movies at the time put Earth humans as a main element. And doing that seemed to start the whole thing off with a bit o' cheese.

By removing the Earth (home base) element, it wipes the slate clean and allows for unlimited power possibilities. Making it in the past was a nice touch as well as it immediately resets tech's advancement detached from ours. So huge data tapes and repulsor lifts could exist side by side.

Kenneth Morgan, Sarge and CrAsHcHaOs like this.
  6. Banana-Wan Kenobi

Banana-Wan Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2016
    THX 1138 is the prequel to Star Wars[face_dancing]

CrAsHcHaOs likes this.
  7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The first draft of "The Star Wars" actually took place in the Milky Way Galaxy during the 33rd century.

I agree that it's probably better the way it is, as the stories will never have to take Earth into consideration. The GFFA is a wonderful playground for storytellers!

CrAsHcHaOs and Avnar like this.
  8. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Starting the film with the setting title card was a great way of proclaiming that this was an unusual kind of science fiction, that it was really a mix of science fiction and fantasy and that people shouldn't pay too much attention to the mechanics of the technology involved.

Kenneth Morgan and CrAsHcHaOs like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Padme would have had more ultrasounds, and the ships would not have made noise traveling through space.

Overall answer: it would have been more science fiction than fantasy, and now it is very much the opposite.

BookExogorth and Martoto77 like this.
  10. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    What if Lucas had decided to set Star Wars in earth's future?
    ---------

The senate wouldn't have been so dumb to Palpatine's intentions.

11. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Really? Do you think the senators should have realized that he was behind the war?

12. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I believe "our" senators might have questioned why they are being corrupted into voting for and paying for a war in order to reform the republic into an Empire when they could just have easily been corrupted into voting for reforming the republic straight into an Empire.

[ [face_party] Post #2001 : A Space Odyssey. Dave? My mind is going. I can feel it. ]

13. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I think it would have dated Star Wars, in a way, even if none of us are going to live to the 28th century.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It would have lost that timeless fairy tale intro, A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away... Without that, the whole story loses a big part of its mythic aura.

15. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    This. This is the whole reason for setting SW in what we would call "the past". In other respects, precisely where and when the story takes place matters very little indeed.

16. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Dagobah is clearly ancient Earth. The snakes are the giveaway ;)

Lulu Mars likes this.
  17. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Its better that its not on Earth. Then it would just be Star Trek but even future in the future. Clean slate is the best thing

Lulu Mars likes this.
  18. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    But really, Star Wars takes place in our hearts [face_love]

;)

Sarge likes this.
  19. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016

"What heart?!"

[​IMG];)