main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if Luke had Qui-Gon as his Master?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by VadersPappy, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersPappy

VadersPappy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    I posted in the Qui-Gon created to replace Yoda thread that the "rebellious" Qui Gon was created by Lucas to mirror the eventual "rebellious" Luke. I used the example that Luke disagreeing with Yoda/Obi that DV could be turned again is a reflection of Qui Gon disagreeing with Yoda/Obi that Anakin os the Chosen One.

How is this relevant to this thread? Well, I wondered if Qui Gon had survived into the OT rather than Yoda/Obi. Would he have encouraged Luke to try to turn DV back to the light? Would he have thought it was necessary for Luke to confront DV like Obi/Yoda believed? Would Qui Gon have trained Luke to use his lightsabre like Obi/Yoda, and is he hadn't, would Luke have been killed by Vader during their confrontation on Bespin?

For the purposes of discussion, Qui Gon surviving assumes Anakin still became DV and Qui Gon went into hiding to one day train Luke like Obi did.

Please share your thoughts.

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

going to need to give this one a lot of thought[face_thinking]

to start with though, would Qui-Gon's philosphies change because of Anakin's fall and the Great Purge??

can we assume Qui-Gon survives ANH and dies in either ESB or ROTJ??

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't think it necessarily would have been all that different-Yoda is pretty much espousing Qui-Gon's way of thinking in TESB when he's training Luke.

4. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    it's not Qui-Gon's "way" of thinking really. I don't think Yoda has changed that much in OT from PT.
    I always took that quote of Qui-Gon's to be a rebuke at Obi-Wan - that he hadn't understood Yoda properly "be mindful of the future" - Yoda is always a here and now guy throughout the saga

5. VadersPappy

Jul 2, 2009
    I disagree with DarthBoba that Yoda was espousing the same teachings as Qui Gon. As an example, I cite Luke's decision to go to Bespin after his visions of his friends in trouble. Yoda says that by going, Luke might save them but in doing do would sacrifice all they have fought for, or words to that effect. Yoda is taking the long view.

I think Qui gon would have encouraged, or at least not discouraged, Luke to go and rescue his friends. He might have realized Luke would need them to overthrow the Empire. At the very least, he might have recognized the psychological damage the loss of his friends might have on Luke. Qui Gon would not have said "mourn them, do not. Miss them, do not" as Yoda says in ROTS.

6. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    agreed.

besides Yoda does not "espouse" anybody.

7. ChrissySnow21

ChrissySnow21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2009
    It is said that Yoda and Obi-wan discouraged Luke to go because they were trying to teach him to have patience and not rush into things. Luke was told after these events that he left his training to save his friends but in the end it was he who had to be rescued by them, hanging beneath cloud city. Teaching Luke that a Jedi must have patience and not do what his heart tells him to do.

8. VadersPappy

Jul 2, 2009
    I disagree with your reasoning why Yoda/Obi did not want Luke to go and rescue his friends. They were afraid that Luke was not "ready for the burden", i.e. finding out that Vader is his father and that Luke could turn to the dark side after finding out. They did not have faith in Luke that he would not turn that I think Qui Gon would have.

To be fair, they did have justification for their worries, based on their experience with Anakin.

9. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Qui-Gon totally would have encouraged Luke to save Vader.

Luke and Qui-Gon are the only Jedi in the saga who actually balance the Living and Unifying Forces. Qui-Gon sees the way things should go (causing conflict with the Unifying-heavy Jedi Council), but doesn't have the strength to be the one to carry it out. He tries to get Unifying follower Obi-Wan to appreciate the Living, and tries to get Living-adept Anakin Jedi training in the Unifying, but he dies before he is truly able to get through to either of them, and Anakin remains resistant to the Unifying for the rest of his days.

When the Jedi fall, Qui-Gon helps Yoda and Obi-Wan stretch into the Living, but they still remain very devoted to the Unifying. It is only Luke, who has the full Unifying teachings of his masters and the natural affinity for the Living from his father, who manages to bring these two aspects of the Force into balance, thus fulfilling Qui-Gon's dream.

10. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    He probably wouldn't have cracked his head in Yoda's hovel, at the very least...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.