main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if Mace told Anakin about the 3 Jedi Palpatine killed?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth_Joshy, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Joshy

Darth_Joshy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    Do you think that if Mace had told Anakin that Palpatine had killed three Jedi, that he would have helped Mace rather than Palpatine?

2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Well, i think Anakin may just think in his head that Palpatine had already taken care of the three Jedi "traitors". It would have gone just the same. Remember, by this time, Anakin is already corrupted (his mind) and because of Palpy, believes that the Jedi are evil.

3. Darth_Joshy

Aug 29, 2005
    I don't think Anakin already saw the Jedi as traitors, otherwise he would have just struck down Mace when he saw that he held his lightsaber at Palpatine's neck.

4. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    I think the point is, Anakin just doesn't care about the Jedi, he doesn't care about the Sith - he just cares about Padmé.

From his POV, the Jedi and the Sith are both trying to hold on to power - they are just as bad as each other.
    But if Palpatine dies, then he has just let Padmé die - that is what informs his decision.

The dead Jedi just don't figure...

5. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    No. Anakin was more concerned having Palpatine survive so he could save Padme.

6. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Anakin knew that Palpatine wasn't going to do it peacefully. I mean, he's a Sith. The Revenge of the Sith novel it stated that Anakin saw the bodies, even saw Kit Fisto's head on Palpatine's desk.

Anakin is an idiot. He makes rash decisions on just about everything, let's stupid things get in the way of his duty to the Republic. And yet he begs to be a Master Jedi? Whatever! That is really stupid.

But yes, his thinking is to let Palpatine live so that Padme won't die. Even if it means betraying the Jedi Order and being tainted by the dark side to do it.

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It wouldn`t have made a difference

8. MaceWindu_is_GOD

MaceWindu_is_GOD Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    "This entire sequence changed significantly during postproduction. What we witnessed in Sydney told a different story. Anakin did not earn Mace's trust by ratting out Sidious right away. He did not agonize over his decisions while sitting alone in the Jedi Council chamber. He did not rush in at the last minute to witness a questionable balance of power. Instead, he stayed at Palpatine's side, in the Chancellor's private office, as Mace and his posse of Jedi barged in. "Stand behind me," ordered Mace, in Sam Jackson's demanding tones. But Anakin didn't budge. Instead, he watched passively as Palpatine used the Force to snatch Anakin's lightsaber from his belt and attacks Mace and the Jedi. There's ample evidence of this original version for those with sharp eyes and behind-the-scenes photos. Heck, even Hasbro action figures with Palpatine packaged with Anakin's lightsaber got out there in the initial shipments. So, if Sidious' entire duel played out before Anakin's stunned eyes, I'd be inclined to think that his fall was just for show. This changed after a screening George Lucas held for a few key colleagues. Their reactions underscored the shortcomings of the way this duel was constructed. Anakin's inaction was hard to justify cinematically. "The story was there, but it wasn't clear," said Lucas at the time it came to rebuild this scene. "It was too abstract. We opened up that part and looked at what we could do."

Pablo H.

So it was changed to have Ani still be CONFLICTED making sure Palps lived while at the same time not let anything harm his Jedi family.

So it could have helped but Palps could have easily said...it was self defense and besides, Mace was more concern in stopping Palps unaware of the Sith Master's hold over Anakin.

9. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    you think at this point anakin gives a rats about the jedi

10. Shiphunk2

Shiphunk2 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2005
    I pretty much agree with everyone's posts so far. By this time Ani didn't care too much about the Jedi, only about saving Padme's life. But Im sure if Mace told him, it would have just confused him more, but wouldn't really matter anyway.

11. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    it would be like explaining Hamlet to a monkey

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin knows that the Jedi were killed Palpatine. He just thinks that Mace got the better of him, but even then it doesn't matter. All that matters is that Palpatine is beaten and can now be safely arrested. But that doesn't happen by a long shot. And because Mace will kill Palpatine, and because Anakin has told the Korun Jedi Master that Palpatine is Sidious, Anakin has just effectively killed Padme. So he has to step in and stop Mace, no matter the cost.

13. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    ANAKIN: What about the three dead Jedi over there?
    MACE: This Sith wretch killed them when we tried to arrest him!
    PALPATINE: No, my boy! I was defending myself when they tried to kill me! Thank the Force I was able to!
    ANAKIN: I don't know which one of you is telling the truth. We must arrest him and let a court decide. That's the Jedi way.
    MACE: He controls the Senate, and the courts! We can't take the chance; he's too dangerous to be allowed to live!

And the scene follows the movie from there...

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Ummm...if you read the novel then you should know that Anakin wanted to be a Master so that he would be granted access to the Jedi archives, get into the ancient Sith holocrons stored there, and find the secret dark side technique to save Padme.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Monty Burns: "'It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times?!'" :p

16. SithOWNtheJedi

SithOWNtheJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Wouldnt have mattered because he saw Mace try to 'assassinate' the Chancellor. Anakin thought all the Jedi were part of the plot, so whether Mace told Anakin or even if Anakin saw 3 dead jedi it makes no difference

17. Vaeron

Vaeron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2005
    It MIGHT have mattered, when Anakin first came in the room, if Palpatine had ever allowed it to come up. This is one reason why it was necessary he cement in Anakin's mind quickly that the Jedi had attacked him not to arrest him, but to kill him.

When Anakin barges into the room Mace is still planning only to arrest Palpatine. He says, "You are under arrest, 'my lord.'" Even if Anakin had known about the 3 dead Jedi, he would have believed the courts were the right way to resolve the details. Anakin DOES believe that Palpatine should be arrested, at this point.

That changes when Mace decides to kill Palpatine. Anakin can't allow that - it's betrayal of the Jedi way and proof Palpatine was telling the truth. Stack saving Padme on top of that and Palpatine could have killed ALL the jedi and Anakin wouldn't have cared, much less about the headless three.

And why does Mace decide to kill Palpatine? The lightning... Before then he was going to arrest him. Palpatine just turned it on and kept it up until Mace admitted to Anakin that he was going to kill him. At that point, Anakin's course became set.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The thing is, Anakin's not stupid. Palpatine knows that. It wouldn't have matter. Anakin knows they're dead and he knows that Palpatine would've killed them. What mattered was convincing Anakin to save him, which he managed to do. Not from assassination attempts, but from the mere fact that he had the power to save Padme.

19. Darth_Joshy

Aug 29, 2005

20. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I disagree about Anakin NOT being stupid because he knew that PalpSidious is the Sith Lord behind the events of the PT and has had people trying to kill Padme for years but Anakin didn't care because he still saves him from Mace Windu and helps annihilate the Jedi Order.

The boy is a complete moron.

21. ceridwen1977

ceridwen1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    Surely if stupidity led to the dark side Yoda would have warned Luke about it in the OT?:D

Whatever your feelings about Anakin at that moment I think its harsh to call him stupid - he runs in to see Mace standing over Palpatine... he must have had to step over the dead bodies of the Jedi to get to them so he must have seen them... and for three Jedi warriors to be wiped out he knows that Palpatine must be a force to be reckoned with... how could someone think straight in such a moment, he is faced with a huge choice and it is so carefully constructed by Palpatine to make it seem that Windu is the aggressor, going against the Jedi Code. And Anakin is also feeling excluded from the Council, wondering why they are spying on the Chancellor again another reason to think they are involved in a plot - it is his "proof". So he makes the wrong descision but with so much going on in his mind how could there be any clarity?

22. Darth_Joshy

Aug 29, 2005
    Hey yeah, if Anakin helped Mace, Mace would have completely trusted Anakin, the war would be over, the Sith would be no more, Anakin would finally become a master and be able to go into the archives to learn how to save Padme!

I guess Anakin must have been REALLY desparate.

23. SithOWNtheJedi

SithOWNtheJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    he must have had to step over the dead bodies of the Jedi to get to them so he must have seen them.

Wrong office, Anakin came into the main office not Palpatines private office

24. ceridwen1977

ceridwen1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh I didn't know Palps had two offices.. sorry, my mistake well that's my argument hugely flawed and reminds me must pay more attention to those beautful CGI rooms

25. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    What if Mace told Anakin about the 3 Jedi Palpatine killed?

If Anakin was that far gone, which he was given he rushed to the temple to save Palpatine, discovering three Jedi were killed would only serve to make him say, "Good" if he indeed believed the Jedi to be evil from his point-of-view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.