main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if Obi-Wan Kenobi was in Mace's place?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by wassssup, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    you have a good point here but obi wan has never fought a sith lord this strong at this point of the saga.

until this point he has fought maul and dooku(twice).

2. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    If you go by the logic that anything is possible, you might come to the conclusion that Mace's posse could challenge the Emperor. Since there's such a huge power difference between the Emperor and Obi-Wan, I see no way that Obi-Wan could even remotely pose a threat. The Emperor wouldn't do anything foolish that can be capitalized on like Maul or Anakin.

Edit: Yeah, I think it's an exaggeration, but the thing is, the phrasing of that quote makes it seem like McDiarmid doesn't realize that light travels faster than sound. A lot faster. So I don't know whether he said that to be funny, or because he doesn't know what he's talking about...

I think McDiarmid simply made a mistake and got mixed up regarding if light or sound is faster- no big deal. Using the wrong words to describe speed doesn't seem like part of a joke, especially since there's no indication in the sentence that he's joking.

3. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    I studied ROTS even more and looked into Kenobi's style when facing Dooku and Anakin...
    Neither one of them could break his lightsaber defence.
    Dooku instead used the force to toss him into a steel bar and drop a ledge onto him...
    And Anakin just plain failed and got chopped up...

Since Anakin occupies the same lightsaber tier as Mace/Yoda/Sidious and frankly looked better than Mace...I don't see it far fetched that the Emperor would fail to get past his defences as the Emperor failed to get past Mace's.

As far as the force goes...Sidious has the edge there, but all he used in that duel was lightning and Kenobi proved in AOTC that lightning is no big deal to a trained and competent Jedi Knight when fully armed.

I now see no reason why Kenobi cannot engage Sidious with at least some measure of success....regardless of what Yoda thinks.

4. sithrules70

May 28, 2005

good point in fact yoshi[face_thinking].meditate on this i will.

5. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    That's cool, that's almost a direct quote from the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.

Except Dooku. :)

6. joshuavance

joshuavance Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    Farrell if you can compare Obi-Wan Kenobi to those random background character lower tier Jedi-Masters then, nothing more really needs to be said, thats apples and oranges.

Here you have 3 guys resting on laurels shining seats with their azz, being nice and cozy in the Temple.
    Then you have a guy out fighting the good fight, being given all of the most important assignments, having more experience against Sith Lords than YODA, and being an indomitable force for Good. Not to mention the fact that The Force for whatever reason, is WITH Obi-Wan Kenobi. It is his ally. It controls his actions but it also obeys his commands.

The Force was NOT with the Mace Windu 3 live crew.

7. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Anything is possible. And although Nick gave Obi-Wan an 8 (if you choose to believe this) and Sidious a 9 doesn't mean there's an insurmountable power difference between them. Anakin is also a 9 and Obi-Wan beat him. It's very much dependent on the situation. The Emperor is in no way infallible, he is just as drunk on dark side power as Maul or Anakin ever were, there's nothing in the films that say he can't make a mistake. He surely did by choosing Anakin in the first place, as shown in ROTJ. He dies like a punk. Mace's posse also die like punks. It has nothing to do with physical power.

8. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    I agree that Kenobi is much more powerful than Mace's company, but didn't they fight in the Clone War as well?

And as for McDiarmid's quote, the difference between the speed of light and sound is HUGE! McDiarmid seems like a sharp chap, so I could almost see him making a bit of a joke with this quote.

9. joshuavance

May 15, 2002
    Except Dooku.

Well, I look at it this way, Dooku was small potatoes. Obi-Wan beat everyone who mattered. Obi-Wan beat Darth Vader in his prime.
    Regardless of any excuse, justification, rationale, motivation, explanation, or hyperbolic diatribe as to how he accomplished that, at the end of the day, Obi-Wan Kenobi walked away from a fight with the Chosen One COMPLETELY UNSCATHED, leaving Vader maimed , scarred, and utterly helpless and inert, from ONE swipe of his blade.

NO ONE can take that away from Obi-Wan Kenobi. he doesn't have jack to prove to anyone. His legacy is secure.

10. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Here we agree completely! [face_peace]

11. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    Since Anakin occupies the same lightsaber tier as Mace/Yoda/Sidious and frankly looked better than Mace...I don't see it far fetched that the Emperor would fail to get past his defences as the Emperor failed to get past Mace's.

As far as the force goes...Sidious has the edge there, but all he used in that duel was lightning and Kenobi proved in AOTC that lightning is no big deal to a trained and competent Jedi Knight when fully armed.

I now see no reason why Kenobi cannot engage Sidious with at least some measure of success....regardless of what Yoda thinks.

Just because Obi-Wan can handle Dooku's lightning doesn't mean he could handle the Emperor's much stronger lightning. Besides, there's other force powers that the Emperor could use against Obi-Wan to defeat him even more easily than Dooku did. If he gets defeated by the apprentice so easily, I don't see how he stands any semblance of a chance against the Master. Obi-Wan has as good of a chance at defeating the Emperor as the Royal Guards do.

Its not simply because of what Yoda thinks that Obi-Wan couldn't challenge the Emperor, but also what Lucas, Gillard, and McDiarmid have said. Obi-Wan can't even compete with the Emperor and is at a lower saber level. He might be inferior to Mace's posse because the novel and OS say they are three of the greatest Jedi Masters.

Just because Anakin might be able to defend against the Emperor's saber attacks doesn't mean Obi-Wan can. Obi-Wan is at a lower saber level than both of them. He was only able to beat Anakin because of the latter's emotional instability and lack of control. Against a focused and superior opponent such as Dooku, or the 500 times more powerful Emperor, Obi-Wan doesn't stand a chance. He certainly couldn't fare as well as Mace did.

12. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    all that argumentation is only because you cant accept that he was undignifyingly owned by dooku twice,thats why you say he doesnt matter.

in fact dooku matters a lot more than maul from the POV of the PT.

anyway off to bed i go,rest i need [face_tired]

SR70 out.

13. COMMANDER76

Mar 12, 2005
    You realize you just said that, "Just because Anakin might be able to defend against the Emperor's saber attacks doesn't mean Obi-Wan can"....

Since Obi-Wan Kenobi beat Anakin Skywalker fair and square with no marks on him what-so-ever....your statement is confusing.

And now you say that General Obi-Wan Kenobi has the same chance as the Royal Guard?

14. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    The part in bold is clearly true. Not only does he matter more, but I'm fairly sure that Dooku is stronger than Maul with the force. I don't see Dooku getting defeated by a Padawan.

15. COMMANDER76

Mar 12, 2005
    Dooku was smart enough to never lose to a padawan yet for some reason I doubt Maul would be stupid enough to go along with converting Anakin and believing that Sidious was forgoing the rule of 2.

16. joshuavance

May 15, 2002
    Its because of posts like farells , thats why.

It's like the glass is half empty instead of half full.

Dooku beat Obi-Wan Dooku Beat Obi-Wan, Dooku beat Obi-Wan, like a broken record.

Who gives a ****????

Obi-Wan Kenobi BEAT all of the other villians in the series.

Darth Maul
    General Grievous
    Darth Vader

Thats THREE of the heavy hitters taken down by ONE character. THATS why Obi-Wan has the best record. THATS why he is the greatest gero of the saga. Look at everyone elses record compared to that.

Oh boy, Darth Sidious beat three background characters, lost to Mace, and had a draw with Yoda.

If Lucas had made Obi-Wan beat Dooku, he would have a Perfect record in the films, beating every single character he ever faced. There isnt really much drama in that.

If you go looking for a GLARING stand out example, well yeah, Dooku beat Obi-Wan, but who cares?
    Obi-Wan beat rather well the OTHER apprentices that everyone forgets about. LOL geez louise 3 out of 4 AINT DAMN BAD you know?

Yoda didnt do that. Mace didnt do that. Thats why Lucas presented and portrayed Obi-Wan as THE MAN. Especially in ROTS.

17. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    he had knight kenobi for breakfast and he squashed master kenobi like a bug so i can say for sure that he would own padawan kenobi in a blink of an eye;)

with this im definitely logging out.

bye guys and girls !!!

18. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    I can't believe a "What If " thread made it to 600 posts! :eek:

19. joshuavance

May 15, 2002
    It's cause these guys are pulling my leg and Joshin me Duggy, they say this and that but they know for real they have an autographed wallet size photo of Ben Obi-Wan THE Kenobi in their wallets.

Posers. :-B

20. COMMANDER76

Mar 12, 2005
    ANY thread with Mace in the title is going to see 600 posts at least:p

21. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Welcome to the boards Duggy! ;)

22. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    well, I'm one to talk, i guess. [face_worried]

23. COMMANDER76

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah I can admit it...when Kenobi tells Anakin he loved him...I hold back a tear

Kenobi is the Man in the series

24. joshuavance

May 15, 2002
    The power of Ben compells you.

25. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    The only shameful admitting that should be going on re: that scene, is those who did'nt hold back a tear. I'm with you. get's me almost everytime.

I never thought i'd see a " What if " thread make it to 700 posts! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.