main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What if Plinkett reviewed the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I'm not talking about his opinions. Opinions are opinions. But no reasonable person can watch those reviews in full and conclude that the person(s) behind that production is a "moron." He is obviously quite knowledgeable about film history and film making.

TX-20 likes this.
  2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    No, many reasonable persons can do just that. The guy is not knowledgeable about anything other than his own misguided views. I've watched his reviews. I don't have an issue with his demeanor or his humor. I have an issue with his mouth-breathing lies & misinformation.

SlashMan and kainee like this.
  3. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Sounds to me like your major issue is you disagree with his opinions. Sorry, but if you have seen the reviews like you say you have, you would realize he knows quite a bit about movies and moviemaking. I disagree with a lot of what he says regarding the PT, but that doesn't change the fact that the person(s) behind those reviews understand the industry.

TX-20 likes this.
  4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I would like to point you to his opening of his ROTS review where he mocks SFX/VFX artists, claiming that they "wish they chose other careers, like working in a toll booth", showing that not only does he not respect the people who do all that hard work, but also has no freaking clue about them (or anything in the industry). One of the reasons VFX artists are so underpaid these days is because they love their work so much that they are willing to get underpaid for a chance to work on some great film like Star Wars.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If he is so much more knowledgable about filmmaking than George Lucas, why hasn't Disney offered to buy RLM for four billion dollars?

6. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Pretty sure he was actually commenting on their status in the industry by suggesting they'd receive better pay and more recognition working at a tollbooth. Regardless it's pretty clear he was being facetious.

7. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    RLM has a background in filmmaking. But the problem is that he is a propagandist and his actual arguments in his "reviews" of the PT are unsound. Don't believe me? Then why does he spend so much time in the TPM review attacking George Lucas' character? Why does he make completely unsubstantiated claims that people were afraid of him? What's the point? Because there are many directors who were a horror to work with for the cast and crew but still put out great movies. All RLM is trying to do is to delegitimize Lucas and try to show that he no longer understands what Star Wars is about. Which is utter BS that he couldn't possibly know - certainly not based on behind the scenes footage.

Then, there's his method of making points, such as by having his friends try to describe the characets. It's completely biased. I can certainly, for example, give a much more meaningful description of Padmé's characeter than I can of Han Solo's. All he succeeded in "proving" is that a few of his friends can more easily summarize OT characters in a few words than PT characters. Then, there's his position on AOTC's romance where the entire basis of his argument is reliant on stereotypes. And as I have pointed out before, when looking at the OT, RLM doesn't pick them apart the way he does the PT. At all.

8. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    But isn't that his shtick though? Really dumb, infantile, invalid claims punctuated with some pertinent, fairly intelligent points. Isn't that what makes it amusing? If he'd just come out and presented his points in a measured, academic fashion nobody would've taken any notice.

TX-20 and kainee like this.
  9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, seeing has how this has switched from what-iffing to discussing Mike Stoklasa's reviewing style...lock o'clock, and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.