main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if Qui-Gon had lived?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Silas Nightstalker, Jan 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    One scenario I like to run in my head, is what if Qui-Gon had beaten Maul and trained Anakin instead of Obi-Wan? My thoughts are:

Obi-Wan would have become a Knight and taken a different Padawan.
    Anakin and Obi-Wan would never have been very close.
    Anakin would have looked up to Qui-Gon, instead of resenting him like he did Obi.
    Even if Anakin would have still fallen in love with Padme, he would never have built up rage against Kenobi due to jealousy. By that time, Jinn would have been far too old for Anakin to be worried about with Padme.
    Qui-Gon would have helped Anakin better control his emotions. He wouldn't have been as strict with him as Obi-Wan was, because Qui-Gon wasn't afraid of emotion. He would have understood Anakin's feelings better than Obi-Wan ever could.

Qui-Gon still being alive means that Dooku most likely wouldn't have left the Order. Meaning that there would have been no Clone Wars. No Battle on Geonosis.

Anybody else have any input?

2. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Obi-Wan would have become a Knight and taken a different Padawan.

Agreed, but that outcome was guaranteed. It was a matter of when.

Anakin and Obi-Wan would never have been very close.

Definitely not as close as in the canon timeline, but I foresee them being friendly with one another, if not nearly at the same level. Qui-Gon being the thread that binds them, thus ensuring they remain around each other after all.

Anakin would have looked up to Qui-Gon, instead of resenting him like he did Obi.

Agreed, in TPM, I felt there was already the beginning of a bond between them. However, due to Sidious' manipulations, there is still a chance Anakin could be twisted to resent him eventually. Though I believe he'd have to work much harder to get Anakin to do so here.

Even if Anakin would have still fallen in love with Padme, he would never have built up rage against Kenobi due to jealousy. By that time, Jinn would have been far too old for Anakin to be worried about with Padme.

Jealousy with any romantic connections toward Padme, you are correct on. But built up rage would still be there, one way or another. Anakin just had that side to him and even with Qui-Gon overseeing him, Sidious is also there, feeding the dark side ever so slowly.

Qui-Gon would have helped Anakin better control his emotions. He wouldn't have been as strict with him as Obi-Wan was, because Qui-Gon wasn't afraid of emotion. He would have understood Anakin's feelings better than Obi-Wan ever could.

Again, with Qui-Gon's history with Tahl, this is correct. And would have led to some interesting, open, and honest discussion between him and Anakin. Yet, this also seems to make believe that Qui-Gon living would have prevented everything. It changes a lot and definitely is a boon to the Jedi, but it does not stop everything. Sidious' ability to adapt and continue his grand vision was exceedingly impressive. There is a danger, however slight, that there is a weakness in this Master/Padawan duo as much as I would have liked to see it. Because of Qui-Gon's ability to reciprocate with Anakin's emotions and perceptions (which remember are being additionally and subtly altered by Palpatine) and already being labeled as Maverick within the Jedi Order; that instead of Qui-Gon keeping him grounded in the Light…the two-way thread goes the other way. Qui-Gon is also, slowly and at first imperceptibly, swayed to the dark side with Anakin. Sidious could have had a two for one bargain sale!

Qui-Gon still being alive means that Dooku most likely wouldn't have left the Order. Meaning that there would have been no Clone Wars. No Battle on Geonosis.

Dooku/Tyranus was a political idealist and also labeled as a Jedi Maverick that there is a chance he could have left anyway. Also refer to the above reply. Dooku could have left alongside his old padawan. And now Sidious has all three of them. The Clone Wars would be even worse, not better. The only thing (in this hypothetical scenario anyway) that Qui-Gon's surviving did for the Jedi was delay the Wars. That's all.

However, Qui-Gon could have easily kept Anakin on the Path of the Light as well, which has just as much a chance as the apocalyptic scenario does above. And I would have loved to have seen it.

Silas Nightstalker likes this.
  3. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    Qui-Gon would have definitely trained Anakin to his full potential. I feel that Obi-Wan held Anakin back because he, like the rest of the Council, actually feared him.

4. Darth Aphrodite

Darth Aphrodite Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Qui-Gon has a particular set of skills which allowed him to fake his death at the end of episode 1 and move to Ryloth and set the scene for Taken 4 in space ! :)

5. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    BOOM. Can we even take any more replies after this one?! Perfection. :)

6. Darth Aphrodite

Darth Aphrodite Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2015
    This humble woman from Naboo is glad you approve :) *does a curtsy*

Silas Nightstalker likes this.
  7. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    *casually salutes with lightsaber*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.