main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What if Qui Gon had not sensed Darth Maul on Tatooine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sitara, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    On Tatooine when Anakin and Qui Gon are running back to the Naboo Cruiser, Qui Gon senses Maul approaching at top speed and yells at Anakin to 'Get Down!'.

Now, what if Qui Gon had been a few seconds late in sensing Maul (Maul used Sidious's technique of cloaking himself in the Force so not even Yoda could sense anything amiss), or what if Anakin had frozen in shock instead of dropping to the sand?

At the speed Maul was traveling, I do believe the impact would have killed Anakin.

How would the Saga have changed from that point on?

darthbarracuda likes this.
  2. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    I don't recall Qui Gon sensing Maul so much as Anakin yelling at Qui Gon to wait, that he was tired and when Qui Gon turned around he say Maul.

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Anakin would undoubtedy be dead - or Qui-Gon. Then things would have gone differently.

4. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    and we've found our new alternate ending for YT

Sitara likes this.
  5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

No Anakin equals no Luke. The Saga (and the prophecy) would have been very short

6. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    After Order 66 and the destruction of the Jedi, how long do you think Maul would have waited before executing Sidious and taking over?

7. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Thats assuming Maul could take on sidious, which I doubt.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That may be a camera perspective thing / Qui-Gon being overtly cautious, Maul was making a beeline towards Qui-Gon, I don't think Anakin was his target or in his way.

9. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Look how powerful Maul was as a young Sith Apprentice...given another decade of plotting and training there is no doubt he would have been able to challenge Sidious for the mantle of Dark Lord. And Sidious btw didn't exactly deal with his master by outrightly challenging him...there's no reason to think Maul wouldn't do the same.

Sitara likes this.
  10. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah but Sidious was mad for power. That's why he made sure Vader wouldn't ever challenge him. He owned Vader. He could have put him in a much better suit but didn't as to make sure he would never match his power. Vader relied on Sidious.

IMO Sidious basically never wanted his rule to end. And so after killing Plageuis, he vowed to never let that happen to him. So I doubt Maul would ever be "trained" enough to take on Palps...

11. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    YT?

12. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I just can't see Maul achieving such a goal successfully.

13. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    YT= youtube

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  14. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    It's not the role of the Sith Master to "train" his apprentice. It's the role of the apprentice to absorb as much knowledge as possible from his master. EVERY Sith Lord or dark-sider in general is mad for power. Your placing Palpatine on too high of a pedestal. Vader was an emotionally beaten servant, and even he had a plot against Palpatine..he and Luke would have dealt with Palps given some time. So yes, Maul would have been capable of doing the same.

15. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    I disagree, if Palpatine wanted to rule forever he wouldn't have bothered with Luke, he had the perfect apprentice already.
    Vader couldn't challenge Palpatine alone, was already widely respected and feared, was powerful, fully trained.
    Luke given time would have obliterated the Emperor.

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    This. Either way he would have heard that speeder bike heading their way.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  17. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Agreed. @darthbarracuda Palpatine obviously sought out the most powerful Jedi as apprentices (Dooku, Anakin, Luke), each of which had the power and potential to destroy him, so it doesn't really make sense to say he planned to rule forever. He didn't plan on Vader's injuries and even rushed to save him in ROTS. He plainly states "Lord Vader will become more powerful than either of us" to Yoda.

Sitara likes this.
  18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    What does the novel have to say about Maul's approach?
    IIRC, Jinn did sense him through the force... but no longer have a copy.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Interesting that would be

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004

Sitara and SithStarSlayer like this.
  21. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Darth Maul would have a major role in Order 66. It would be harder for Palpatine to create Anti-Jedi Propaganda when his second-in-command is Darth Maul, who at this point we've been seeing striking against the Republic for 13 years (32 BBY - 19 BBY).

Palpatine could have covered up the elimination of the Jedi by making a Galactic-wide statement that claimed Darth Maul had been redeemed and the Jedi didn't react well to this and plotted to kill him, while also claiming that the Jedi were the evil they have been plotting to destroy all along. Not the best explanation, but just an idea. The problem isn't the original explanation as to why the Jedi were eliminated (they were corrupt and plotted to destroy the Republic), but it's the explanation as to why is the enemy now our ally? This would be hard to cover up since he is still targeting the same people he has always been fighting against (the Jedi).

Palpatine and Maul's partnership could possibly come to an end when they had a dissolution over something or Maul would fell that his Master was unworthy of being a Sith Lord.

Nobody has explained what would happen between Obi-Wan and Maul though? Everyone is just saying if Maul ran over Anakin in his speeder bike and killed Qui-Gon.

In the novel Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul, it's stated that Maul felt a strong presence in the boy. It would be interesting if Maul killed Qui-Gon and captured Anakin and brought him to Sidious.

Question: Did the Galaxy know that Emperor Palpatine was Darth Sidious?

22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I knew there was something in there, thanks.

Sitara likes this.
  23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    So you don't have a copy anymore? Didn't you pick up the new version with the extra short story?

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Tower fail.
    I haven't re-installed Nook on my work PC yet...

So... technically speaking, I DO have a copy.
    I just can't get to it at the moment.
    [face_blush]

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    People read ebooks on PCs? :p