main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if Revenge of the Sith came out in 1977?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by King_Piccolo, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King_Piccolo

King_Piccolo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    Haven't posted here in a while, but I've just bought the ROTS DVD. Here's the question:

Let's say the middle-aged, puffy-looking Lucas of today sends a copy of ROTS to the leaner, meaner version of himself in 1977. The 1977 Lucas, upon seeing ROTS, decides to release ROTS in theatres instead of the original Star Wars -- for obvious reasons.

EDIT: The 1977 Lucas RECEIVES a ROTS DVD from the 2005 Lucas. He then converts it whatever taping format they had in 1977, and decides to release the 2005 ROTS to theatres in Christmas 1977. All the while knowing that some of the ROTS actors haven't even been born.

What would the reaction be? I mean, the original SW of 1977 was revolutionary in its own right, but how would the people of 1977 react to ROTS?!

2. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I do not know for sure but it would probilly be diffrent.:)

3. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    I think it'd be somewhat odd to start the story at ROTS. If you're going to introduce it, then start at TPM or ANH.

4. CloneCommander07

CloneCommander07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2004
    EDIT: Misread the question.

Then the movie industry would've suddenly leaped ahead and ROTS would've won every single award it could've earned.

Because ROTS compared to other films of 1977 excluding ANH, blows them all away.

5. King_Piccolo

May 21, 2005
    I think you misread my question. The 1977 Lucas RECEIVES the fully filmed ROTS from the 2005 Lucas on a DVD or whatever format they had in 1977. It's all finished so the 1977 Lucas can deliver it to theatres at leisure!

6. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I think you misread my question. The 1977 Lucas RECEIVES the fully filmed ROTS from the 2005 Lucas on a DVD or whatever format they had in 1977. It's all finished so the 1977 Lucas can deliver it to theatres at leisure!

Well, he wouldn't be able to play it unless the 2005 George Lucas also sent a DVD player to the 1977 George Lucas. :p

7. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    1977 - Basingstoke cinema

Person 1: Is Grevious made out of Papier mache?

Person 2: Dunno, but this Yoda fight is awesome

Onscreen:

Yoda shuffles slowly around the emperor. The emperor hurls lightning at him and Frank Oz chucks the puppet across the room.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Lucas of today would give his younger self all six films and release them once a year. Course, it'd be really weird too. Since half the cast are younger and unknowns then. A few weren't even born yet or just been born.

9. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    True.
    Mr and Mrs McGregor of Crieff, Scotland would say: "Hoots mon - little Ewan, come and look. Thars sumwoon weth yer name en this crazy space falm..."
    The rest of the population would say: "Episode III - bah, what's that all about? What happened to one, two and three...?"

10. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    you people are all reading the question wrong!!!
    he's saying that if lucas of the future send a copy of our rots back to 1977! what the reaction of people from those times would've been towards the film!?!

for one i think they would've been in disbelief! just at the opening shot itself.

11. Get_in_Gear

Nov 29, 2004
    Okay - I know that this is a communications issue, and that will be my next port of call - but loads of avatars are not appearing now.
    Is everyone else is experiencing that?
    Even mine is not appearing now, so suddenly I'm suitably pissed...

EDIT: Bah - they are back now, but they have been on and off all day for me - is that something worth reporting...?

12. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    If Lucas did send a copy of revenge of the sith to the 1977 Lucas then people would probilly wonder how the movie was made and people would probilly be in shock during the entire movie.:cool:

Yes, I also noticed that some of the icons do not show but they come back.

13. King_Piccolo

May 21, 2005
    The CORRECT answer to my question is:

The people of 1977 would be like, "What the hell is this fake-looking crap!" They're too smart (and stylish) to be taken in by "CGI". :lol:

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm giving this a second chance, provided that it's taken seriously by all.

15. Get_in_Gear

Nov 29, 2004
    Okay, yeah - taking the question a little more seriously...

I remember when The Last Starfighter came out and seeing all this hype...
    ... and totally falling for it - it was kind of sold, as far as I recall, on the fact that the special effects were generated by a computer.
    I sat there - looked at the TV screen - looked back at my ZX Spectrum 48K and just thougt: "Wow! That is amazing! How did they do that!"
    And - ho, ho, ho - the big hook was that the film was just about a computer game too.
    Those cheeky swines!

But 20 years down the line.
    It's a piece of nostalgic **** really.
    And a piece of **** from any decade is still a piece of ****.

Now - woah - hold on, before I get people thinking that I am comparing ROTS to a piece of ****, I'm not at all.
    I am just saying that people are not that gullible at all.
    Just the fact that people may have been bowled over by the ROTS visuals in 1977 - and it is possible, however unlikely, that some people may not have been - does not mean it is a surefire Box Office smash of the proportions that the original SW was.

Seriously.

ROTS is not an introduction to a saga.
    Pretty much everyone would have been blown away by the sights and sounds.
    But the story may have been equally mind-blowing for different reasons.
    Think about what you are saying - how could ROTS have been the first SW film?
    Starting a saga at Episode IV is one thing, but starting at the final act of the first chapter of a two part story which is really one story in six films... 8-}
    My one-year-old brain, for one, would have melted in 1977...

16. The_Chibi_Kiriyama

The_Chibi_Kiriyama Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    What if Revenge of the Sith came out in 1977?

If it came out in 1977 the OT fanboys of today would have loved TPM, AOTC and ROTS. They also summarily would have denounced ANH, TESB, and ROTJ as hackneyed continuations of the saga. I base this on the fact that most OT fans base their distaste for the PT upon a shattering of their preconceived notions of nostalgia when referencing the OT. I see no difference between the film's storylines either. TPM had every chance to be as engaging and as much a commercial/internationl success as ANH back in '77. Granted, it would not have had the CGI prevalent in the '99 version, but it still would have made an impact in my humble opinion. Many didn't comment on the storyline of ANH as much as they did praise Lucas' innovations in the SFX field. The storyline progressed as a fulcrum of said advancements giving Lucas the funds to create a second and third film, and fans of the original followed in tandem. The recent disdain comes, rather, not from the stories of the PT saga as much as from a hate of change fans have developed over the years. Hence, why the PT audience is for the most part younger and more willing to witness persisting variables and inconsistencies with the original films.

The more one changes pre-set surroundings the more foreign a practiced traveler feels when traversing the surroundings once more. At least that's how I feel about it.

17. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Robbie Benson would have been Anakin. No thanks.

18. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    I was around in 1977. I would have been hooked from the start just as I was with the original.

The thing is, this one, this one ends much differently for the heroes and it's obvious from it's ending that there is more to come. And I would just absolutely have to see the rest of the story. I mean, things just couldn't stay this bad for the heroes. Things just couldn't stay this bad for the galaxy. Anakin and Padme's kids would surely save the day. They would just have to. And Yoda and Obi-Wan, they would get another chance. They just would. And Anakin would snap out of it, wouldn't he? Wouldn't he? I mean, things just couldn't continue to go this wrong for the heroes . . . :( . . . and . . . and . . . and . . . great special effects! :D Great movie! Give me more! =D= :cool:

19. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I would imagine the SFX alone would give some folks heart attacks. Also the Best Picture oscar would not have gone to Annie Hall. :p

20. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    I could handle REVENGE OF THE SITH winning best picture over ANNIE HALL. STAR WARS should have done so in the first place.

And wouldn't it be interesting if REVENGE OF THE SITH would have won over ANNIE HALL, especially if it would have been due to the amazing speicial effects, with as much as George Lucas gets unfairly knocked where his usage of special effects are concerned?

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Star Wars is good, but it really doesn't compare to something like Annie Hall and I never even seen the film. Some films are worthy of winning best picture and some aren't. The Star Wars Saga is not worthy of winning an Oscar for best picture. It is worth winning a multitude of other awards like the Golden Globes.

22. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    Star Wars is good, but it really doesn't compare to something like Annie Hall and I never even seen the film.

You've never seen STAR WARS? :eek: :p

Some films are worthy of winning best picture and some aren't. The Star Wars Saga is not worthy of winning an Oscar for best picture.

You know, I don't agree. I don't agree.

It is worth winning a multitude of other awards like the Golden Globes.

Oh, well then, it's not a total loss. o_O

STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH would rock 1977. :cool:

1977, which was rocked by a STAR WARS movie. :cool:

23. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    I think a better question to ask if what if the PT was released in 77,80 and 83 and then he made the OT nowadays...and we had to wait 16 years with a dark ending where the bad guys won to see what happens....

24. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004

Holy Cow, your admitting that? Tell me, seriously, your opinion of why the Saga is not Oscar worthy.

25. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I thought about this very question myself some time ago...

With the same special effects as today, people would be in shock.

...and they would love every minute of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.