main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if Revenge of the Sith came out in 1977?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by King_Piccolo, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    I thought about that myself in the past

while I think a 1977 audience would be utterly astonished and amazed by ROTS
    I think the darker, more graphic stuff like the torched Anakin or the be-headed Dooku would be too much for them to handle

2005 audeiences have been desensitized enough to tolerate that kind of graphic violence

a good example of this is The Exorcist released in the late 70's
    Back then that film was enough to make people vomit, pass out, and make grown men cry
    When I saw the re-release in theaters a few years ago, there were 8 year olds LAUGHING at it

So I think 1977 and 2005 movie audiences are VERY different

2. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Annie Hall is just as innovative as Star Wars, in its' own way.
    Brilliant film - deserved to win best picture that year.
    Shame that Star Wars came up against it really, it was the only other real contender, IMHO.

3. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    All I know is that I would've probably seen ROTS about a hundred times before it left the big screen, living on popcorn and soda. Then I would've sat around like a junkie without his fix until 'Alien' came out in '78, taking comfort at watching Sigourney Weaver in her T-Shirt and undies prancing across the big screen [sigh] while escaping from the double titanium-jawed top of the galactic food chain co-star of the movie.

4. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Don't forget, that if Lucas sent himself RotS in the past, then Lucas never would've made the original Star Wars, nor the sequels, and then the prequels never would've been made and then he never could've sent himself RotS.

It's true.

5. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Good point vapor trail! So...what 2005Lucas needs to do is go back to 1977 with the ROTS DVD, and exchange it with 1977Lucas for a print of ANH, which he will then bring forward in time to release in 2005. Where it will be panned by critics as lacking the magic that the original ROTS contained.

6. Darth-Mule

Darth-Mule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    He would have been burned at the stake. Nobody could make effects like that back then. It would have been seen as witchcraft...

7. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    If Lucas were smart, he would have included the Superbowl scores for every game from 1977-2005 along with the DVD, and player, and TV to connect it with.

8. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Where it will be panned by critics as lacking the magic that the original ROTS contained.

[face_laugh] :p

9. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    ROTS would've blown the visual effects world away in '77 but it would've failed miserably with the story as no one in the world would have any idea what was going on. Remember, ROTS works on the view that you already know what the back (and after) stories are. Seeing it all by itself will make no sense at all.

By default, the best PT film to screen in '77 would been TPM - and don't worry as the audience would still be blown away by the visuals in that too.

10. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    ^^
    Dags, you speak wisely. Indeed, TPM seems off-track to many seasoned OT fannies, but hoisting TPM out of the box first in '77 would tell a completely sensible tale of innocence that goes bad. The saga could even then reasonably move through AOTC and ROTS and what we now know as the OT.

11. JASTERSLEGACEYV2

JASTERSLEGACEYV2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2005
    well... if the 3rd movie was released then it would be really bad because of the liited cgi so they can't do the massive clone battles,they can't do the big space battles and people would be lost they would say "what is going on here i think i missed something" so the damages 2 lucas's forute would be unimaginable and he would have messed up on his sequels before everything gig so basicly be glad that did'nt happen

12. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    It would be big, but not as big as ANH. That is because it is too dark and violent. I think ANH was made for the late 70's. A movie of hope and triumph over cold mechanical evil. I don't think people after seeing so much war and suffering would be in the mood to watch a dude burst into flames.

That being said it would still blow people's minds because Star Wars is so unique and RotS is an excellent film.

13. inkswamp

inkswamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    You sound like a SW-hating friend of mine who writes SW off as a fun popcorn movie, but overall a waste of time.

There is a bias in the Oscars that is very literary in nature, that filters films through fairly highbrow literary values--that characters must be complex and deep and that the story line must be "character driven" (a conceit I have never fully bought into.) But films are not literature and I've never fully understood why they are judged from such a narrow perspective. That only considers a tiny part of what might make a film great.

IMO, a film can also be great because it's extraordinary fun, because it's wildly creative, because it's full of invention, because it's technically impressive, because it's full of amazing eye-candy, because it's visually incredible. That doesn't preclude films like Annie Hall. It just widens the scope to include things that are unique to film as opposed to literature.

From my point of view, SW was 100 times the film that Annie Hall was. It is an absolute disgrace, and proof that the Oscars are meaningless, that any film should have won out over Star Wars.

14. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    I think if you sent a copy of ROTS to '77, GL would say "This is great, but what does it have to do with my movie?"
    During the 70's, GL probably didn't have a good idea that Anakin was Vader, Luke and Leia were siblings, that the Emperor was a Sith Lord, or that Yoda even existed. For the most impact, he'd have to get the current incarnations of the OT and the rest of the PT as well.

15. KILLER-CLONE

KILLER-CLONE Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2005
    The whole question is redundant:

if Lucas sent a reel of ROTS back to 1977, then the entire time-space continuum would be thrown out of whack and we'd all be vaporised the minute he opened the package.

Even if we did survive the inevitable black-hole that would open above California, Hayden Christensen would instantly become the biggest star in the world (the Mark Hamill of his day x100). The yet-to-be-born Hayden would then grow up knowing that he'd become so massively typecast that he would then refuse to actually make ROTS resulting in yet another time-space warp and the entire fabric of existence unravelling and causing the universe to be annihilated within a micro-second.

So please...don't anybody attempt to send copies of modern films into the past.

(of course the up-side is that Ewan could play Obi-Wan in Eps 4-6. But because the nature of existence had been so horribly warped he'd most likely appear as some slimey reptile with three heads and nine arses)

16. Sanjiro

Sanjiro Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    Killer-Clone is RIGHT. the universe would be destroyed. cause Lucas would still have to make the same exact movie 28 years later. and that's impossible because it would only be an imitation of the movie he's already seen. and so the real movie wouldn't exist. and then we'd all be destroyed.

time travel is TRICKY BUSINESS.

17. KILLER-CLONE

KILLER-CLONE Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2005
    Yes it is TRICKY. The eight times I've gone back in time I've inadvertantly altered the universe. I'm pretty happy with this existence at the moment but I'm tempted to go back again to see if I can do something about preventing Hugh Grant from being born.

18. JediNdaCity

JediNdaCity Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    SHOCK! UTTER SHOCK! Just seeing Yoda would've been a whole debate. Is he real? Is that a new species from the future? Are we driving in space in 2005? How did they burn him like that? A million and one questions for sure. Brains fried to bits all over the theatre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.