main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What if Rey is...evil?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    I know this is out there, but this is the time for out there ideas. Regardless of who Rey is, what if she had or will have a serious decent with the dark side?

First, looking at the history of Star Wars, I believe one of the original ideas for the sequel trilogy was going to be that Luke WOULD turn to the dark side in Episode VI, and that the "other" Yoda spoke of would be Luke's lost sister who was not Leia but was in fact an unseen new character. This idea probably would have made more sense given the first two films, but Lucas retcon was in full force and he made Leia the sister to wrap things up nicely. However, the original idea was that a new female Skywalker was going to save Like from the Dark Side.

Now in the EU, we all know that Leia and Han's son goes darkside and kills some beloved fan favorites, and that idea was reimagined in Ben Solo. So similar to how ideas that have been kicking around for decades outside of the movies find their way in, it's possible that some of the original sequel trilogy themes will be realized in the ST.

Where things were left off, I don't think a Luke returning from the dark side is really going to happen. He's Obi-wan / Gandalf now, so he'll probably stay behind the scenes and pop in to do something awesome. Ben Solo returning back from the darkside is certainly a possibility. I even have a theory that Ben is pulling a Severes Snape, (not just cause he kinda looks and dresses like him). But I digress.

So first, what if Rey, as a child, channeled some massive dark side even and was basically possessed by the dark side, as an evil Damien hellspawn padawan of Luke's she massacred the entire fledgling Jedi Order. Luke and Ben are able to subdue her, but neither can bring themself to kill her so they mind wipe her and dump her on Jakku. Ben turns to the dark side later out of guilt.

OR, what if Rey learns the truth about her origin and falls to the dark side? Then, instead of her saving Be (or Luke as the original ST was going), but then Luke and/or Ben actually turn Rey back to the light? Anyone else thing there is a possibility she was or turns evil at some point in this story?

2. Brybe_Daker

Brybe_Daker Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 21, 2015
    I think she'll likely be tempted by the dark side, similar to Luke in ROTJ but probably more seriously tempted than he was. I don't think she'll actually fall though, it will probably be Finn (and their friendship) that pulls her back. I also think that would be a fairly satisfying role for Finn and would increase his overall importance in the trilogy.

Mist1024, ObiWanKnowsMe and Lulu Mars like this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I think she is strong in the dark side of the Force. She clearly used it at least twice in TFA, once during the mind probe and then at the end during the duel with Kylo Ren when she beat him at the very end.

4. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    tapping into the Dark Side would certainly be an interesting explanation of her seemingly rapid gain in power.
    i'm hoping they take her in such a direction but don't at all expect it.

ObiWanKnowsMe and panki like this.
  5. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Well, that's what the Milli Falcon has been trying to tell me - she knows that something is not right with Rey, especially with how that girl nearly slaughtered Kylo Ren for good during the final duel (as well as that evil look in her eyes while doing so), only to be separated by a chasm between them before anything else can be done.

And that female lead being cast for Episode 8 may be a new hero of the Resistance (the as yet unknown daughter or relative of one of these legendary characters - Luke, Han, maybe even Obi-Wan) as we see the gradual descent of Rey towards the Dark Side... Maybe eventually becoming the right hand woman of the new baddie played by Benicio Del Toro?

6. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    She was a Knight of Ren.

7. Phteven

Phteven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    I really doubt they'll have Rey go dark. I do think Snoke etc will try to persuade her, like with Luke, but she will not give in. I think it'd be more likely that Rey convinces Ben to side with her against Snoke. It may end up like a, what if Luke had convinced Vader to help him defeat the Emperor before Vader was defeated and nerfed? I think she'll turn out to be a Skywalker. And I think they'll explore what would happen when two force sensitive skywalkers team up against the big bad.

8. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

It's possible, but I hope it's not the direction they go. In the mind probe, she uses the Force for knowledge. That's legit. It's not like she tortures Kylo or harms him. And putting forth a maximum effort to win a lightsaber duel should not be seen as getting dangerously close to the dark side. If Yoda and Obi-Wan can stay on the light side with all the killing and fierce attacking they do in the Clone Wars and ROTS, Rey cutting up Kylo should be fine.

darklordoftech and SunStar like this.
  9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Well I just mean that aggression and channeling it like that is clearly the path to the dark side. She clearly grew to hate Ben by the end of the film. It's just Kenobi and Yoda are balanced so they can cut it short. Can Rey?

We will see.

10. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Luke just training Rey does seem to be a bit of an uninteresting direction to take things, ESB had the advantage that we learned more about the true nature of the force subverting it from merely a magical power it had been shown as in ANH but at this stage audiences already know that.

If these films draw on the prequels at all I would say the most interesting way to do it would actually be to have Luke reworking what it means to be a Jedi including elements the prequels considered to be paths to the darkside such as personal attachments and the potential for grief and loss.

Really after TFA Rian Johnson still has pretty much a blank slate to work with in terms of characters real motivations so it could go in many directions.

Dak Oolron and darklordoftech like this.
  11. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

She was like 5 when she was dropped off.

Prior the release of the film I was sort of hoping she'd get a Revan KOTOR style reveal where she's revealed to have been the former master of the Knights of Ren who'd lost her memories.

12. Bacbacca

Nov 26, 2011
    Brainwashed.
    She thinks she was dropped when she was five.

Dak Oolron, Sarge and 11-4D like this.
  13. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

I'd be fine with that. That Revan reveal was up their in iconic Star Wars moments with "No I am your father".

The issue though is that Kylo doesn't recognize her.

14. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    She looks five.

Anyways, an evil little kid would be stupid as hell. I really hope that they don't even think about doing that.

AdamDemamp likes this.
  15. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    New Gang: Rey Evil. The twist no one will see coming.

[​IMG]

16. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think Rey will end up the antagonist, but they may show that she was darkside, or is a product of the darkside, and Luke will help her overcome her nature.

17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Enter Darth Reyder.

MOC Yak Face, Darth Basin and Sarge like this.
  18. Zalbaar

Zalbaar Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    Apparently the new film is a lot darker so who knows? It would/could be a very interesting plot development. As others have said though, I think her relationship with Finn would bring her back if she went evil.

19. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    I like the idea of Rey being the one mentioned who brought down Luke's school. That would be a pretty huge twist (and I kinda hate reading it, as I will be slightly less surprised now if it happens)

She does have a lot of aggression, so if she falls to the dark side, it wouldn't be a long drop.
    I've been playing with the idea of both Rey and Ren switching sides in episode 8, and then Ren and Finn "rescue" Rey from herself in episode 9.

20. Bacbacca

Nov 26, 2011
    All the Knights wear helmets at all times except some times when talking to Snoke.
    You can come up with some reason that has them not knowing who each actually were.

21. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    That's what I think would be interesting too, Ren battling the light while Rey battles the dark and they ultimately switch sides. To me it would be an awesome twist if Ben Solo struggles his way to the light and turns out to be the hero and Rey turns out to be the villain, however, we know that will not happen because Disney has made their girl hero too plucky and likeable lol.

Or, Rey is, literally, "seduced" to the dark side by Kylo (Kind of like Anakin and Padme but the switch being that Rey actually joins Kylo, even if temporarily).

I personally think either of those would be interesting but at the same time I think they would have no interest in going there.

22. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    From my point of view the Jedi are evil.

23. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

Hey, is it just the light or is there something wrong with your eyes?

Death Wizard, Sarge and Dak Oolron like this.
  24. MingLives

MingLives Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    Don't think she'll be evil but I'll take a stab at a scenario:

To far it looks she's been "vetted" by the light side. Her father figure killed, her friend in a coma, her beaten up and losing the fight until she makes a come back. Still spares the bad guys life. Could not be tempted by the dark side.

But what if she is supposed to be vetted by the the side as well. She has to be able to be pure evil as well despite facing the ultimate temptation to give in to the light side. If Luke's her dad maybe she needs to kill him. Otherwise it could be Finn.

What got me thinking is that it really looked like the light side was testing her. In the last seen she seems to say: look I passed the test, what now?...But she doesn't look happy. And it looks like she's giving the lightsaber back.

Will she in fact be given a red lightsaber in the next episode and face her dark challenge then?

Don't know what restore-balance-to-the-force-mumbo-jumbo might make this necessary though.

25. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    When she uses the darkside to beat Kylo in the duel, her aggression and the way she prowls is reminiscent of Darth Maul.

And @ShaneP that is a good point about her using the darkside when she is captured, someone pointed out here that there is a growling sound when she bests Kylo in the battle of minds, I believe it was on my third viewing that I properly heard the animalistic noise. So yea I agree with you about her using it twice in the film.