What if Star Wars had Transporter technology in its movies?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Han_Solo_Rocks, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. Han_Solo_Rocks Jedi Padawan

I have always wondered if Transporter technology was used in the OT how it would have changed the storyline?

For instance, in the beginning of ANH if Leia beamed R2 down to the surface of Tatooine would C3P0 have gone with him? How would the movies have changed as a result of them having transporter technology?

What do we all think?
  2. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Transporter technology? As is beaming people and objects from one place to another? Well, then Leia would've met up with Obi-Wan...Or she would be killed. I don't know, but I hate "what if" threads.
  3. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Ugh. Beaming is awful. It would be the most terrible thing to have in Star Wars. I hate it. I actually heard that there are 2 or 3 more or less obscure stories that kinda had teleporting (... or wait.... maybe that was time travel... the only thing worse than beaming). It's so simple, unexciting and cheap.

If Star Wars had Beaming, I would barely like it.

Ugh
  4. mrfootball Jedi Knight

star 2
    nerdiest. thread. ever.
  5. Kinobe Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmm, Luke does say in ANH 'teleport me off this rock', so I assume it does exist in some form in the Star Wars universe...
  6. Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Knight

star 3
    Maybe Obi-Wan never died....He just teleported. [face_laugh]
  7. TheCRZA Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm, Luke does say in ANH 'teleport me off this rock', so I assume it does exist in some form in the Star Wars universe...

I always took this line as a deliberate shot at Wagon Train in space.
  8. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    He says "Not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest or teleport me off this rock". In other words, impossible things.

If the Star Wars characters could teleport, Luke and Obi-Wan would've been on Alderaan when it blew. Much shorter saga! ;)
    Hey, wait: That would mean that Leia would somehow get in contact with Yoda and become a Jedi!

Leia is the other
    /LM
  9. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Vader: Alert the transporter to prepare for my arrival.

:p
  10. Mos_Eisley Jedi Knight

star 3
    There probably would have been a massive lawsuit photon torpedo launched from Paramount and Gene Roddenberry.

11. Kinobe Force Ghost

star 4
    Aah yeah, fair point. :oops: :p
  12. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    There probably would have been a massive lawsuit photon torpedo launched from Paramount and Gene Roddenberry.

I don't think Star Trek can claim exclusive rights to "transporters", or any other stuff in Trek such as "shields", "phasers", etc.
  13. skyysoblue Jedi Knight

star 2
    To answer the actual question:

The transporter beams would have been cut off by the shields of the ship (assuming the same Star Trek Shield/transporter dilemna) so nobody could have beamed down to the planet's surface.

The real problem would have been that Luke would have been teleported up to the death star from the planet's surface, and thus not had available Vader's shuttle to escape with when the death star was on the verge of blowing up. (I doubt he would have found an empty transporter pad, he needed Vader's empty shuttle which nobody would dare touch to use to escape)

so, if transporter technology exists, Luke ends up dead in the last movie.
  14. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
    The movies would be crap, just like Trek! [face_sick]
  15. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    True, but I doubt it's the kind of teleportion we're used to hearing about. I always assumed that line meant simply leaving the planet on a ship.
  16. Golden_Eyes Jedi Padawan

There won't be a "fly casual" but a lot of technobabble about "bypassing the shield".
  17. Alpha-Red Force Ghost

star 5
    You'd hear a bunch of weird sounds, and *poof* a squad of stormtroopers appears in the Millenium Falcon's cockpit, followed by a vicious brawl.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.