main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if Star Wars had Transporter technology in its movies?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Han_Solo_Rocks, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han_Solo_Rocks

Han_Solo_Rocks Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2004
    I have always wondered if Transporter technology was used in the OT how it would have changed the storyline?

For instance, in the beginning of ANH if Leia beamed R2 down to the surface of Tatooine would C3P0 have gone with him? How would the movies have changed as a result of them having transporter technology?

What do we all think?

2. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Transporter technology? As is beaming people and objects from one place to another? Well, then Leia would've met up with Obi-Wan...Or she would be killed. I don't know, but I hate "what if" threads.

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Ugh. Beaming is awful. It would be the most terrible thing to have in Star Wars. I hate it. I actually heard that there are 2 or 3 more or less obscure stories that kinda had teleporting (... or wait.... maybe that was time travel... the only thing worse than beaming). It's so simple, unexciting and cheap.

If Star Wars had Beaming, I would barely like it.

Ugh

4. mrfootball

mrfootball Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
    nerdiest. thread. ever.

5. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    Hmm, Luke does say in ANH 'teleport me off this rock', so I assume it does exist in some form in the Star Wars universe...

6. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    Maybe Obi-Wan never died....He just teleported. [face_laugh]

7. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Hmm, Luke does say in ANH 'teleport me off this rock', so I assume it does exist in some form in the Star Wars universe...

I always took this line as a deliberate shot at Wagon Train in space.

8. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    He says "Not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest or teleport me off this rock". In other words, impossible things.

If the Star Wars characters could teleport, Luke and Obi-Wan would've been on Alderaan when it blew. Much shorter saga! ;)
    Hey, wait: That would mean that Leia would somehow get in contact with Yoda and become a Jedi!

Leia is the other
    /LM

9. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Vader: Alert the transporter to prepare for my arrival.

:p

10. Mos_Eisley

Mos_Eisley Jedi Youngling star 3

May 23, 2004
    There probably would have been a massive lawsuit photon torpedo launched from Paramount and Gene Roddenberry.

11. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    Aah yeah, fair point. :oops: :p

12. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    There probably would have been a massive lawsuit photon torpedo launched from Paramount and Gene Roddenberry.

I don't think Star Trek can claim exclusive rights to "transporters", or any other stuff in Trek such as "shields", "phasers", etc.

13. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    To answer the actual question:

The transporter beams would have been cut off by the shields of the ship (assuming the same Star Trek Shield/transporter dilemna) so nobody could have beamed down to the planet's surface.

The real problem would have been that Luke would have been teleported up to the death star from the planet's surface, and thus not had available Vader's shuttle to escape with when the death star was on the verge of blowing up. (I doubt he would have found an empty transporter pad, he needed Vader's empty shuttle which nobody would dare touch to use to escape)

so, if transporter technology exists, Luke ends up dead in the last movie.

14. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    The movies would be crap, just like Trek! [face_sick]

15. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    True, but I doubt it's the kind of teleportion we're used to hearing about. I always assumed that line meant simply leaving the planet on a ship.

16. Golden_Eyes

Golden_Eyes Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2005
    There won't be a "fly casual" but a lot of technobabble about "bypassing the shield".

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    You'd hear a bunch of weird sounds, and *poof* a squad of stormtroopers appears in the Millenium Falcon's cockpit, followed by a vicious brawl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.