main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if the "big assumptions" are wrong, and the Empire is still in control?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ghost, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    As message board regular nerds, we will always find a way of making ideas and speculations seem logical in the Star Wars universe. Of course we can write down a plausible scenario where the Empire is still in control. Hell, we can probably make sense out of a Rodian regime with a Mon Calamarian gangster squad across the galaxy.

Also, Star Wars logic isn't all that logical either with democratically elected queens, supreme chancellors, votes of no confidence, militar ranks all messed up, etc.

I think the best way to approach this issue is through an aesthetic and semiotic way. One trilogy deals with a fallen hero and the rise to power of a greedy power hungry sith mastermind, the other trilogy deals with a worn down galaxy and how a young group of freedom fighters defeat the bad guys through willpower and perseverance. Do we really want to see the same bad guys come back? We had 6 movies explaining how they got to power and how they were defeated. Do we really want more of the same? Wouldn't that invalidate the original trilogy's purpose a bit?

This is a great opportunity to shake things up a bit. Don't have siths and nazi like regimes, why not have power hungry straight forward political corruption? There shouldn't be a need for a rebel alliance and an empire but yes we could have a new jedi order, where the jedi are allowed to love and have families, where they are not weird monks in charge of peace and justice in the galaxy but normal heroes with conflicts and character development. I sure as hell don't want to see another Mace Windu or Ki Adi Mundi type character who come off as robot jedis. Luke could be instrumental in having a new jedi order, a more human order.

These themes also resonate with the world today in a way that the straight forward good vs evil / empire vs rebels model doesn't anymore.

There can be force driven good and evil storylines without having to resort to the empire/rebels theme. Star Wars needs a new direction. In order for this trilogy to be valid and make sense in a context of three trilogies, it has to feel like something new where our heroes (old and new) have an original role in keeping peace in the galaxy.

2. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Don't know about the empire still being in control, but I'm loving your train of thought on "What if our assumptions are wrong?" - I reckon we can all but guaran-damn-tee that. To be honest, I'd be a little disappointed if our assumptions didn't turn out to be wrong.

3. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    All of these interesting & exotic, and they are that, storylines for the direction
    the ST should talk all mean doodily-squatzorz!
    And y'know why?
    Look who's helming & writing Episode VII ....

Expect, not unlike Star Trek, something along the lines of the following:
    * During a long & prosperous post-Imperial period, the surviving Palaptine hardliners gather in secret.
    * They build a chronomobile & travel a long time ahead to a galaxy far, far away.
    * A meeting takes place between the hardliners & a goateed inhabitant of a planet called "Vulcan". named "MU Spock".
    * He is convinced that he will much bigger fish to fry by getting involved in the Empire/Republic struggle.
    * Whilst plotting thier return to power, MU Spock meets, falls in Pon Farr with
    and subsequently sires the children of Republican Queen Leia.
    * The hardliners then build a Kahnbot that will be said to be Indian but look like an Oxford grad.
    * Kahnbot gets rusty reconoittering Kashyyyk, falls apart & with it, any chance of a return to Empire.
    * The End

Far-fetched, you say?
    Well, allow me to point you in the direction of a little movie called "Star Trek: Into Darkness".
    A much beloved & meticulouly exquisite, crafted canon defecated upon all for the sake of demographic marketing.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    As Kaminski pointed out in his book, ANH already posted version in which Empire was theoretically defeated .Emperor unwisely abolished the Senate, thus crippling his goverment which was now solely relying on fear of millitary and Death Star. After DS was destroyed and tyrant Tarkin killed, nothing now stays in the way to individual systems to fight back. This scanario was simply postponed to the stronger strike at the end of ROTJ.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well looking at history and the two governments Lucas got his inspiration from were the Nazi regime of WWII and the Roman Republic/Empire.
    One was on the verge of total collapse and surrounded on all sides and controlled very strictly afterwards.
    The other fragmented into 2 parts and one of those parts lived on for another thousand years or so.
    Frankly I don't want a unified galaxy for the ST or a Jedi Order in the hundreds or thousands. Continue the rebuilding process. With 2 galactic wars in a span of 25 years when there hasn't been a full scale war in a thousand years might slow things down that way. It'll suck that the the Big 3 generation might not get to see a unified galaxy but do not start the ST off with the galaxy unified. The galaxy united like in the PT should not happen until the end of the saga.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I absolutely agree that the galaxy shouldn't be completely unified at the start of Episode VII. I just don't won't the two sides to be the Republic and the Empire but instead the Republic and some new entity. I like the idea that post-Endor the leaders of the Rebellion couldn't agree on the best way to restore the government and eventually two separate states formed.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll settle for a couple Tie Fighters, an AT-AT or 2 and the inside of a Star Destroyer. Give me that much!

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think I'd prefer two distinct superpowers who have a hostile relationship towards each other.

10. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013

Agreed.
    Not sure about the Empire, but as much as I like to speculate how it's all going to go down, in all honesty I want to be thinking to myself (for the first 30 min or so) "What the hell is going on here, how did they get to this point?"

StoneRiver likes this.
  11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Who really makes up the rebel alliance? They were the good guys in a war against the evil empire. But even the allied powers in WW2 had Stalin as an member.

Maybe after the war the coalition starts to fracture?

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But what if the fight isn't continuing, and the Rebels gave up fighting because they could now pursue reform through peaceful means?

So does the existence of a Sequel Trilogy :p If it was supposed to be over, it wouldn't be continuing.

You have several assumptions here.

*We know there are some people celebrating on those planets. But they likely weren't automatically liberated.

*Why do you assume every competent admiral in the entire Imperial military (that patrols the entire GALAXY) was at Endor and killed?

*The Rebels still don't have that much trained manpower or firepower

*We can no longer be sure that balance was brought to the Force. Or that the effects of balance are what you're describing.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I assumed that the best admirals were killed, (as seen in the films)

As far as balance of the Force is concerned, if you go back and watch the Mortis trilogy on the CW, it's pretty clear when the Father says that as the balance tips towards the dark side ''war escalates on the galaxy''-Shouldn't the opposite happen if balance is brought back?

Let's remember that a Gungan in Naboo shouts ''Weesa Free'' and in Coruscant you hear ''the Empire is gone''.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Summer Dreamer
    *We can no longer be sure that balance was brought to the Force. Or that the effects of balance are what you're describing.

I know it would upset some people but you could go back to the end of ROTJ and take Anakin out of the happy-happy force ghost scene at the end. Then make the force still not in balance as a major point for the ST. Luke's story arc would be fighting his past and his lineage to regain credibility all the while privately trying to help his father bring balance to the force.

Maybe the idea is that Anakin still hasn't *atoned* for his sins and cant bring balance yet until he helps his son from the other side overcome some major challenge.

Then, only then, a force ghost will he be.

Maybe one of the alliance coalition members is a "lesser of two evils compared to the empire" and they want to vie for leadership of the republic? And maybe a leader of that member will use Luke's history and hidden lineage he has secretly discovered against him to remove an obstacle to power?

Darth Archimage likes this.
  15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Is all that supposed to be funny? Because I'm not laughing at a bunch of stereotypical bilge from noob complainer-trolls.

And yes, everything you're saying IS far-fetched, and your oh-so-cute-and-clever visual aid constitutes no proof at all. Everything you're slamming Abrams for regarding Star Trek Into Darkness was clearly the fault of the writers, not the director. They, not Abrams, were the ones who defiled the canon you defend (even though the status of Star Trek canon has "doodily-squatzorz" - whatever the hell THAT is supposed to mean - with the issue at hand in this thread and with Episode VII in general); Orci, Kurztmann, and Lindelof are the ones at fault, not Abrams - and as far as I'm concerned all three of them put together still constitute a lesser screenwriter than I believe Michael Arndt to be, and the consulting team behind him is bulletproof. Arndt won an Oscar, a BAFTA award, a WGA award, and was either nominated or won awards from eight different film critics associations for best screenplay - for his first time out as a writer. All the writing team of OK&L has ever given us is the very kinds of bilge you're complaining about, and yet you let them slide just to take stereotypically cheap shots at Abrams. What, you didn't have a "lens flare" joke at the ready?

In short, the next time you want to point fingers at someone for sinking a movie, KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. And when you it, DO IT IN THE RIGHT THREAD.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    wrote the Transformers trilogy

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  17. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Which is hardly any indication of superb screenwriting talent, and which only proves my point.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    exactly

19. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    At any rate, can we get back to the whole "big assumptions" thing?

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Nuff said! :)

21. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I'd have to say the Empire is dead in ST. Why would they have changed Jedi to feature fireworks and celebrations that the Emperor was dead and the Empire was defeated, only to bring it back 30 years later? Seems that would be bad storytelling.

Maybe as some sort of rogue agents, or small cells somewhere, but thats it.

The Empire is dead, son. Accept that.

-C

22. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    If only it wasn't. But hey, there's money to be made. :_|

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    This is all unless they change the ending back, of course.

clone3131 likes this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think George put those scenes in there because he didn't think the ST would ever be made, so he put a bow on it. Now that the ST is being made thins might not be so definitive. Not saying it's what I want to happen, just saying that at this point anything is possible.

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    This all is making me wonder which versions of I-VI Disney will consider canon.

StoneRiver likes this.