main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if the "big assumptions" are wrong, and the Empire is still in control?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ghost, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    So does the existence of a Sequel Trilogy :p If it was supposed to be over, it wouldn't be continuing.

The existence of the sequel trilogy doesn't negate the first 6 in my opinion if its done right. The story arc of 1-3 was the fall of Anakin and the rise of the Empire, and 4-6 were the redemption of Anakin and the fall of the Empire. That is why I said as long as we are in the period of the "rise of Luke" or something I would be ok with it. I would think the Empire still being a major player would not make much sense if they wanted the first 6 to carry any meaning.

2. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    What if all along the Bothans were E.T.'s race? WWWWWWWWWWWWWOooooooooooOOOOEEEEooooWWWWWWWWWEEEEEooooOWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEeeeoo

But on a more serious message forum note, 30 years since the rebellion destroyed the Death Star 2 and killed the Emperor. There is no more need for talk of Rebellion, as they rebelled. Empire would be remnants, if anything.

Better off not even bothering with the empire and coming up with something else. I have no idea what, but as long as it doesn't turn out like Star Wars: Twilight or any of the later Star Trek movies, I'm happy.

Joe Antonetti and darklordoftech like this.
  3. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I'm a fan of some sort of fractured 'wild west' situation, with no overarching authority and small pockets controlled by different factions. It would certainly make for a great film, with our hero(es) jumping between regions of space controlled by a variety of gangsters/rebels/imperials during the journey, and it'd spice up the variety of settings in Star Wars, because there are only so many biomes you can make planets out of before you run out.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What about Korriban?

5. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    There is some room for more planets, but they're going to run out, especially if they go past the ST. We saw 16(ish) planets in 1-6, all unique. It'd be hard to find 16 more unique, interesting biome types.

6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Uh, kids, cover your eyes.

You know, I just can't picture that evil bastard having any kids. In fact, I wouldn't doubt if the dark side would make someone lose interest in sex and therefore the desire to procreate.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Which might be ironic, as rape is definately a Dark Side action.

8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Nothing could possibly be more boring. I'll be deeply deeply let down if the Empire is still banging around. Talk about a Big Yawn.

Darth_Pevra and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  9. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    After 30 years of "power vacuum" it would be like Mad Max! The Empire didn't replace the Republic, the Republic became the Empire. Most of the infrastructure was still there. I don't imagine "restoring" the old status quo would really be that difficult.

10. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Dude, you either go full-otic or you don't go at all!

Pfluegermeister and Ganger like this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh, I'm sure it wouldn't, it's just not what I'd prefer to see. I would love it to be like Mad Max! :)

Toonimator likes this.
  12. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Perhaps the dark side makes one impotent. It would explain all the anger.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR and Blip like this.
  13. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Or they're all really virginal & afraid to do it . . fear leads to anger . . .

14. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    The way I see it in discussions like this one is that things that might be looked at as assumptions include elements that are the fabric of what Star Wars is. If these elements are removed, so is part of what makes Star Wars...Star Wars.

That being said, I thinkg we will see some form of The Empire. I think we will see Sith, Jedi, and Bounty Hunters. I think we will see Force Ghosts (maybe just one), and we might just see someone fall to the Dark Side.

How? Who knows.

It's Star Wars.

It's not a reboot. Its a continuation.

There is and always has been a formula.

It's Star Wars.

The story is not coming from a new writer, it's GL's (like it or not)

It's Star Wars.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Biggest assumption ever, that the Emperor actually died when he fell down the shaft. There is a possibility the explosion of blue light is completely unrelated to the Emperor's demise!

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In reality, as Darth Loocas knows, Palpatine came out the other end of the shaft Anakin threw him into!

Darth Loocas likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ATTENTION YOU WHO KNOW WHO YOU ARE: Several of you need to master the fine art of using your edit button. 2, 3, 4 posts in a row is spamming and bans are going to start being dished out solely because we trust that you wouldn't notice the lack of anyone else around and already enjoy talking to yourselves or you wouldn't post 2, 3, 4 posts in a row. Thank you for your consideration. You're all lovely and we appreciate your patronage. Carry on.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  18. Darth Loocas

Darth Loocas Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2013
    um..the way u said it in your post it sounds like i meant that!! lol-i was making fun of the other guy...
    anyway,IMO the blue energy IS the immence force energy released from him being vaporised in the reactor...its not "completely unrelated" at all BigAl6ft6

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given how far down the reactor is- and how short the duration of Palpatine's fall is- it's more likely that he just hit something (a girder?) on the way down the command tower.

20. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    I have little doubt the Empire will still be around in one form or another. IMO it will be something like the Imperial Remnant in the EU. But the idea of bringing Palpatine back is a horrible one. It would be interesting to see something along the lines of an alien army or maybe even Sith army is beginning to invade what is left of Imperial territory, and in order to survive the Empire has no choice but to ask the Alliance for help. The enemy of my enemy is my friend type of thing. Be cool to see a Mon Calamari cruiser and a Star Destroyer working together against a common foe. Doubt this will be the story, but who knows, it is all speculation.

21. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    LOL, but then what would happen to him? Would he just come up through the (assumed) shaft on the other side of the station and just tumble off into space? If that happens, would he just die in space, or would he fall into Endor's atmosphere and burn up on entry? Or, if he didn't just fall out of the station into space, would gravity kick in so that he'd just fall back to the station's core again from the opposite side? Would he just keep falling up and down until he slows down and stops and just... hovers there in the center of the station? You'd think he'd get really bored there. Hope he brought a book in those robes... :p

As the late, great George Carlin put it, "These are the kind of things I think of when I'm home alone and the television is broken." 8-}

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was joking, but if that turned out to seriously be true, I guess another Imperial rescued him. Ironically, I believe that everyone is incorrectly assuming that the Empire did survive ROTJ when in fact it didn't.

Darth Loocas likes this.
  23. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    It all depends. A number of tyrannies survive the death of their founders and major leaders. Stalin died in 1953, but the empire he built lasted until 1991; Khomeini died in 1989; his theocratic dictatorship is still alive and kicking today; Kim Il Sung is dead and his grandson still rules North Korea; Mao-Tse-Tung is dead but China is still a communist oligarchy. It ultimately depends on whether the apparatus the dictator establishes is entrenched enough politically to survive the dictator's death; if it is, then it can determine the line of succession and maintain itself (which is ultimately all that a founding dictator's successors ever seem to care about in such circumstances: maintaining themselves, and the country be damned). It also helps to have the military on your side, or to have enough loyalists in the military to finagle the succession. The Imperial fleet was shown to be defeated, but (outside the EU, which is now suspect) we don't know how many ships escaped; Coruscant was shown celebrating and toppling a statue, but (again, outside the EU) we don't know how widespread that sentiment was on Coruscant. Going just by evidence in the film alone, we know the Empire is on the ropes at the end, but we just don't know if the Empire ultimately survived past that film or not.

That's the real problem with all of this: WE JUST DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. :mad: It's impossible to make any kind of a judgment call under these conditions. It's frustrating.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    30-35 years is just about enough time for either option (a) Empire survives b) Empire falls) to actually make sense, so there's that at least.

25. Darth Loocas

Darth Loocas Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2013
    what everyone forgets about space and vacuum is that the moment an organic being goes into space unpressurised it will BLOW-UP to bits,it's biggest piece would be the ear! because your blood pressure is about 10pascal & in space the pressure is zero so you blow-up from the inside out,so i beg everyone just drop the "palp survived death star" pleeeaaase!