main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if the Clone Wars ended with Anakin NOT falling to the dark side.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by majorlynch, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majorlynch

majorlynch Jedi Master star 1

Apr 7, 2010
    Just the last 2 or 3 episodes or season 3 (or whatever series) could be in an Infinity universe where Anakin stays a jedi.
    For example, Palpatine is exposed on the Sep ship, stays with the Seps, but still has access to his special project weapons
    The jedi take over the republic army, and we a great fight at the end.
    (I won't be defending this as a story, its just an example).

There are arguments for it. Firstly being its original and unexpected.

Also, many people think what takes away from Clone Wars slightly is that everyone knows how its going to end.
    I heard it referred to as a Greek tradegy. No matter how heroic Anakin is now, he still slaughters everyone in the end.
    Although Ashoka might get away, but chances are she'll be killed by the Seps, making Anakin fall slightly further.

Also, although canon has been a big thing in the star wars universe, its pretty obvious the clone wars series doesn't gel well with the existing comics and novels published before 2008.

Before 2008 Anakin was knighted late in the war, certainly not the first month.
    He never had a padawan.
    Grevious was not active at the start of the war.

And this would be an infinity universe storyline.

So, the Clone Wars ends differently, would you be for it?
    Or, if it could end any way, how would you like it to end?

2. Slowburn

Slowburn Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 22, 2010
    *bangs head on table* I hate "what if" questions so much. All that matters is what did happen, not what could have happened.

3. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    No.

4. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    This.[face_plain]

5. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Yes...if that would make the series non-canon.

6. majorlynch

Apr 7, 2010
    Sure it would be non-canon.

Not that canon is perfect, how many Boba Fett Sarlacc versions are there.
    Many retcons had to be done to get the prequels to fit the established canon.

By being non-canon the writers could take huge risks with it and make it original.
    Theres not alot of tension now as you know all of the characters that are going to survive no matter what happens.

7. Slowburn

Apr 22, 2010
    Why in the hell would the franchise even need this? It wouldn't.

8. MarkVader1991

MarkVader1991 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2010
    If Ahsoka is really having "visions" and its not just nightmares or something similar, they could show an alternate future without needing to change cannon. You could have a "what if" episode that could be completely made up of a vision. Could be interesting if it was written well, however what would be the point?

9. majorlynch

Apr 7, 2010
    Actually thats what people who don't read fiction think of fiction in general.

Need?
    Does the franchise need a series where 90% of the characters are unkillable because they're clearly alive later?
    Remember when Anakin and Mace were trapped in that collapsing republic cruiser?
    Was there tension?
    No.
    Did you think anything would happen to them?
    No.

Did Star Wars "need" the Infinity Comics, or Tag and Bink?

No, but they're still great Star Wars stories.

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    And they wouldn't take the show to non-canon when they have been trying to stick most of the stuff in existing canon (Anakin not meeting Grievous) for two seasons.

I think that if people do big-budjet Star Wars tv-series, then them better be canon. I don't mind infinities-stuff (Tales was quite funny) but big cinematic project like Clone Wars should be canon.

11. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005

12. Slowburn

Apr 22, 2010
    They can think what they want, I don't give a damn. All that I'm saying is that the saga is coiled around a very set storyline. If "The Clone Wars" made such a sudden jerk in a new direction that no longer points toward Anakin falling to the Dark Side, why the hell are we watching it? Fiction is only good fiction when it is carved in stone. That is why I hate all of these remakes of films and films based on books in which everything is completely changed and the point is lost.

Those stories do not take away from the basic principles of what "Star Wars" is about in the first place. If you're going to add something to the franchise, don't take away the heart of it.

13. majorlynch

Apr 7, 2010
    Is it?
    The Clone Wars series itself is walking all over the established clone wars literature available before 2008, its not "very set". So the Clone Wars itself should be frustrating because its telling a different story from the one already told, and its not going out of its was to reference the original Clone Wars material.
    Currently Anakin has been knighted twice in the Clone Wars.

Well we're watching it to be entertained. Which can be provided by adding tension and taking some risks. Its has little tension as most characters can't die.
    And its not taking many risks.

I can't really discuss that without knowing what you think the basic principles of Star Wars are all about.
    But if its about the Chosen one bringing balance by killing the Emperor. The three Infinites stories didn't have that and you said that they didn't take away from the story.
    They proved it is possible to add to Star Wars without taking anything away by telling a great alternative story very well.

But its fine if you're not for the idea, so far most people aren't.

14. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Not twice, but once. The original has apparently been retconned. But, I do agree with you on you saying TCW is steamrolling over all other canon. That's true. I still prefer the original CW material, than the new one a whole lot.

15. majorlynch

Apr 7, 2010
    Well the original Clone Wars novels and comics were great, and there was suspense as there were serious casualties.
    Adi Gallia and Oppo Rancisis were killed and Depa Billaba went insane.

Whereas in the Clone Wars series the mainstream casualties were.......well Anakin was knocked out for a few hours, EXCITING.

And is Obi Wan going to be kidnapped for a few months like in the comics? NOPE. o_O

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The irony here is that whether The Clone Wars should even exist in the first place is basically being questioned. It's supposed to be fun, "extra" SW content, but due to the risks it poses to canon and continuity, everyone involved in its creation is hopefully keeping in mind how carefully they need to tread.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Seconded.

Yes, at the moment there was. If you let yourself immerse in to the story, there will be a little tension at the moment. Even if it didn't, isn't that opinion applicable to every work made between episode I and VI? I.e: Shadows of the Empire, Clone Wars micro-series, The Force Unleashed, etc...?

18. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    Um... TCW is a canon series so I don't think Filoni and Lucas are gonna screw us all over.

19. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm sorry, but Lucas doesn't care about continuity or canon, for that matter. TCW has been contradicting a lot of canon. Some of the blame has been pointed at Lucas or, most of it, at Filoni. Reguardless of who you think is at fault, keep in mind that Lucas doesn't care, as he often says "that isn't his 'stuff'." "Stuff" as in the EU.

20. ObiWanJedi93

Aug 29, 2008
    Yes, he may change a few details here and there, but I don't think he would go as far as to change the whole story and outcome of TCW.

21. Apailana

Apailana Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2005
    The thing is, yes, there are some things that don't coincide with existing canon. But most of them can be explained, worked around or ret-conned. However, I think that this suggestion is a bit ridiculous, because it would change the entire outcome of the entire saga. If I understand correctly, you're suggesting that by the end of the series, Anakin does not become Darth Vader? How does that make any sense?

22. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Few details? :oops:
    Again, he doesn't care about anything that's in the EU. All he cares about are his six films, which includes Anakin's turn. Also, TCW is the series. Are you referring to the war in general?

23. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    GG, I agree with you being objected to GL's changing the details, but it's one thing to be retconning something mentioned off-screen. It's another to change the crux of the saga.

I loathe the retcons, but I can deal with them, to a point. However, making this into a giant "...What if?" would accomplish nothing, and make the ending as anti-climatic as you can get. The whole point of it is to shed light on an area of the GFFA not previously explored on-screen. Making it into a canon-fanfiction would make that whole endeavor pointless.

In other words...

24. ObiWanJedi93

Aug 29, 2008
    I'm referring to the series in general. And Lucas does care about the EU. If he hated it so much, do you think he would continue to allow books and games to be created? And he doesn't make any more films because of the already extensive EU stories. I remember an article, in like, 2005-06, where he said he doesn't want to make another trilogy because, 1) The movies were about Anakin and 2) He doesn't want to mess up the canon and have to work Leland Chee to death fixing everything.

25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    :oops:
    I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Lucas never said anything like that either. He doesn't agree with Luke marrying, Palpatine returns, ect. "That's not his stuff." I'm sorry to say that, but Lucas doesn't care about the EU. He may occasionally help out an author, or give advice. As a Star Wars fan, you should know that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.