main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series What if the last finale of TCW was another theatrical release?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ImNotAStarWarsFanboy, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Something that just popped into my head. Seeing as the show's first episodes were made into a movie, I was wondering if to close off the show, they were to do another feature-length? Maybe something around Order 66 to tie off the fates of all the characters that we know aren't in ROTS but with a super-extended plot akin to the introductory movie. Obviously it would have the benefit of having much better animation/VA/design quality than the first one, and maybe they would be so kind as to get Paul Dini or Gilroy back for the writing. Unsure who I'd want to direct since it seems a lot of them have had their share of ups and downs so far.

So, what are your thoughts? Oh by the way, if this has already been brought up, feel free to point me towards it, it's still a bit early for me to be trawling through pages of old threads.[face_tired]

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    sounds plausible but improbable to me.....

3. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I have a feeling that the final arc of TCW will be a partially faithful adaptation of Labyrinth of Evil. That would certainly have broad appeal, since millions of people have seen ROTS, and LoE leads directly into it.

If it was something to do with Rex, Ahsoka or any other unique-to-TCW characters and elements, it would have less broad appeal. I don't think anyone other than TCW fans would care much about these characters.

Your idea does sound like it could happen, though.

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I think doing an LoE arc would be fan-service. I think that would alienate the regular joes and the TCW fans. I think TCW is going to milk it and hit the middle ground, they'll do a final multi part arc perhaps based on LoE that leads into RotS and then they'll release a made for T.V. movie or possibly direct to DVD/Blu-ray thing to deal with Order 66 and the original characters to bring closure and make extra money off TCW fans. I don't think it would be theatrical unless they really got the 'you know whats' to think they'll do better than break even at the box office.

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't see LOE could be saved in any way- if they won't leave this series in situation that doesn't lead to ROTS- well i cannot know..... maybe they stop in the point that can lead to the ROTS but doesn't lead there directly - and old EU can be retconned to take place after the show.... in any case LOE made to movie is ultimate fanservice- cannot see it to happen...

6. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Perhaps not a 100% direct adaptation, but I could easily imagine an arc of TCW episodes built around the same basic theme:

After battle of Cato Neimoidia, Nute Gunray leaves behind his mechno-chair, which then allows the Jedi to track the elusive Darth Sidious to the heart of the Republic on Coruscant. As the clones get closer, Sidious writes off the Republic as a total loss and summons Grievous and Dooku to "abduct" the Chancellor in order to take him to Separatist space and allow him to make the CIS the core of his new empire. Anakin and Obi-Wan, on a wild goose chase in the Outer Rim, break off to return to Coruscant and rescue the Chancellor.

The details would probably be changed, but I think that the lure of portraying the immediate pre-ROTS events would be too much to resist.

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    well they didn't portray "right after AOTC" either so TCW may end to Ahsoka's departure and Obi-Wan and Anakin flying to sunset in LAAT- gunship :p or something....
    that would be better than messing up all eu since that would leave later part of Outer Rim sieges alone..... if they won't do that- then yes -hopefully some ideas remain unchanged

8. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I'd rather they didn't do their own version of the events leading up to ROTS but maybe a mention or something like "Chancellor Palpatine has been abducted" while we're watching some other Jedi in a battle far far away from Coruscant.

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't care how they do it, what they base it off of, or anything like that. My biggest concern in regards to any theatrical release would be whether or not it will be in limited release. I missed the last theatre showing due to the closest showing being three hours away. It simply was not practical to attend in order to see Savage Opress on the big screen. If they plan to release the TCW finale in theatres, it would be in the best interest of the fanbase if it was a universal release. It is far more convenient for many of us to attend a showing at a theatre that is merely ten minutes away, as opposed to three or four hours in the next state.

10. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    It's a nice idea but I'd rather have they stick with their TV concept..it's what the show is made for after all.

11. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    I have a feeling that the final arc of TCW will be a partially faithful adaptation of Labyrinth of Evil. That would certainly have broad appeal, since millions of people have seen ROTS, and LoE leads directly into it.

I don't think it's very likely that they'll do an adaptation of an existing story, especially if all story concepts come from GL. It's possible that they may use some of it, but if they do end up doing a lead into Ep III story then I think GL will probably have his own ideas - which may or may not include existing material.

They may well make a film for the finale of the whole series - if they did it for the Opress story then surely the series finale will be spectacular enough to warrant it. If they do though, it will probably be like the Opress theatrical release - ie a limited preview before it is shown on TV. I don't think they'll do a big theatrical release like for the beginning of the series because the TV audience might not show up and the general audience might not be interested if they haven't seen the show before.

The first film went on general release and although the audience's weren't massive it achieved its objective in promoting the show and ensuring that a lot more people heard about the new animated SW series than would have if it had just debuted on TV. Then they didn the Opress film which was done to promote the story before it was shown on TV not long after. So if they end the series with a film, it might be bigger than the Opress film, but I think it will still just be shown in cinemas as a preview before it is shown on TV as usual. Or it might be that they won't show anything early because they don't want the ending to be known about before the majority of the audience gets to see it.

12. EstarGuars

EstarGuars Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2011
    I have been thinking this since the series started. At first I thought we would have a movie every two seasons. I would really love to see the show finished in a movie that redeems the first one.

13. MarkVader1991

MarkVader1991 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2010

To say they are going to throw their on concepts and ideas that they build up for four or five seasons to the wind and just adapt some novel would be so out of place.

They haven?t followed the EU so far, why start now? They have already alienated most EU buffs, they are not going to alienate their own fan base. The main audience this show is aimed at don?t really care about Nute Gunray?s furniture, they do care about Rex and Ahsoka though.

LoE is already contradicted by the microseries anyway, so nothing gained nothing lost by not following it.

14. MarkVader1991

Jun 10, 2010
    I agree with that much. But a story pre-ROTS a LoE adaption does not make.

15. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    This probably wouldn't happen for two reasons:

1) After the critical panning the first movie recieved the movie going public is going to avoid a follow up like the plague. Unless it's hailed as the new Citizen Kane, which it probably wont be.

2) The original film is considered to be a financial flop, probably due to a very poorly done advertising campaign and, again, the critical panning it recieved. When you aren't going to earn much money off the back of a theatrical release you aren't going to bother.

Ultimately the original movie has severely compromised any chance of a large scale theatrical release. Although as others have said, I could see a limited release to hype up a big trilogy like with the Savage arc, maybe with the final episode being 'forgotten' to help ratchett up the tension and avoid spoilers leaking on to the internet.

16. MarkVader1991

Jun 10, 2010
    While the film was a lot of things, I don't think you could call it a financial flop. The film was made for a budget of around nine million and made around sixty million. Thats a 50 million dollar profit in a few months. Much more than what they are making by airing it on Cartoon Network I'm sure.

Also they could maybe make a bit more now that they have an audience established.

17. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    A few years ago, I remember a thread like this one. A better choice is a TV movie release, or just keep the same 22-minute episode format.

18. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    When you compare that to the individual incomes of the six main films (The lowest being RotJ's 475K) it's a pretty cold response from the movie going public. It's also widely regarded that the only reason TCW made money rather than lost it was due to it's made-for-TV budget.

I also struggle to believe that a cult hit of a cartoon show would make a huge increase in those figures, keeping in mind many who watch the show probably are part of the same hardcore fan base that went to see the film.

19. MarkVader1991

Jun 10, 2010
    I think you missed the point. As a percentage of cost/revenue the film was quite a success. It doesn't matter that it's small change compared to the other films. TCW movie was made for a budget of little more than an independent film and made quite a large gain.

I don't believe another film could do any worse than the last one. The biggest problem they would face would be getting theatres to take on the film.

It doesn't matter if the response was relatively cold, they got a much bigger profit for a little extra work. When you can make an extra 50 million for next to no extra work, I?d regard it as a good investment.:D

20. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    35 million in the US isn't exactly large in today's standards, more along the lines of a "flop." But, yeah, I know what you mean by comparing it to an Indy film, but even certain independent films do make more than 35 million with a small budget. Even though they did meet certain goals, according to Warner Bros, I don't think it was that successful.

21. MarkVader1991

Jun 10, 2010
    When a film pays itself off six times over I would consider that a financial success.
    In order for something to be considered a "flop" it must not break even.

22. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    For Lucasfilm it maybe, but as for the consumer who dared to watch it, it was more along the lines of a nightmare. I go by the box office and did read the universally negative reviews the film received. If you play along with this, imagine what TCW would have done without Star Wars in its name.

23. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    Judging by how dead TCW is out there....I don't think it will work too well.....

I say dead cuz CN has tortured the crap out of this show and there are few advertisements for it on-screen. It's SW and if it's not Live-action like it used to be, people won't like it at all.
    It has always bothered me that a person can't sit down and watch a cartoon but that is just how most people are.

I would love to watch SW in a theater again though.....

24. MarkVader1991

Jun 10, 2010
    True. The shows ratings have been getting progressively better though.
    I wasn't even talking about ratings though, I was merely saying, contrary to popular belief here, another TCW movie would be a financially sound idea.

They LOST money in the free limited release. They GAINED money in TCW movie.

Probably not nearly as well, but if my aunt had certain different parts she?d be my uncle. If they released another TCW movie it would probably still have Star Wars in its name, no?

IF's and BUT's aside it was a financial success, which was all I argued.

25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    To be honest, I wouldn't care if it's financially successful for Lucasfilm, but rather would the film itself be good/worth-watching. The TCW film was just plain bad after seeing it, and paying money for it wasn't a good move.