main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What if the new characters aren't related to the original 3?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Episode Swag, Aug 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    (Don't know if this topic has been discussed before, sorry if it has.)

So I was thinking about episode 7 and all after reading the msw spoiler leak/rumor. And then a weird thought came to me. Iirc the leaker did not confirm whether or not Rey or the others are related to the skywalkers/solos. And so I thought, what if they aren't? Sure it is likely that they are, hell its probably a given at this point. Still I can't help but wonder at the possibility.

If Rey and crew aren't sons/daughters of the golden oldies, then this gives a bit more freedom to the writers. They don't have to throw in a scene with a "surprise you're my son/daughter/father/mother!" Such a scene isn't needed in this and something to else could be focused on instead. Likewise, it seems extraordinarily convenient that the separated offspring of the skywalkers/solos always seem to come back together at the end. Yeah I suppose it goes back to the theme of "destiny and the force" that's present in all films. However, it does make the galaxy seem a lot smaller than it is.

Now of course I think this is incredibly unlikely and that the new crew has at least one related to the oldies. However that doesn't mean this wouldn't be fun to think about. What would you think if in fact they weren't related? Would it lessen your enjoyment of the story or perhaps enhance it? As for me, the more I think about it the more I think it would be a nice change of pace.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is pretty much the most consistently recurring discussion in each of the new characters' threads. Well... aside from BB8 and Finn.

thejeditraitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.