main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

what if the was no sail barge scene?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by brook_33, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    would lucas have given luke a green saber? would there ever be greene sabers after that. what would become of the colors other than blue and red?

2. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Good point.
    Chances are there would only have been Blue and Red. And Purple of course. :rolleyes: There would still have been all the different colours you get in EU sources of course.

There's a chance of course that Lucas could have introduced green sabers into TPM; to differentiate between Gui-Gon's and Obi-Wan's sabers (especially in the reactor room scene), but then think how that would have upset the purists? [face_laugh]

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Why wouldn't there be green sabers? Luke still duels with Vader. And I;m not sure I'd like it so much if the sail barge assault were removed from RotJ (it's one of my favorite scenes in the movie).

4. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, I believe Brook is thinking of that fact that Luke's lightsabre blade colour was only switched from blue to green due to blue not showing up as well on the sandy background for the Sail Barge Battle.

So in theory, no battle - no green colour.
    I'm glad they did it, even if it was an ad-libbed change...the green colour is my favourite.

5. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    [face_thinking]

Hmm, you guys are on to something.

[image=http://varsity.utoronto.ca:16080/archives/117/jan30/review/jedi_poster.jpg]

Perhaps Luke's saber was meant to be blue.

6. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Perhaps Luke's saber was meant to be blue.

Yes it was, this is the smallest file I could find showing it, its a trailer from 1982 for ROTJ, you can see Luke's blue saber brielfy about 20 seconds in:

Click

7. Jedimancer

Jedimancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2004
    Thank goodness for those desert sand dunes(which I do live very close to, by the way)! I might like blue sabers better(even though anyone who wields one in a duel is basically doomed to lose, from what we've seen in the movies so far), but it would get pretty monotonous only seeing blue sabers.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, originally Luke's sabre was blue. But it didn't show up too well against the blue sky in the Sail Barge scene, so they changed it to green.

9. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    It is the same reason that Qui-Gon dueled Maul on Tatooine rather than Obi-Wan. Though I always thought it had less to do with the sand and more to do with the blue sky? :confused:

Either way, I like green lightsabers better than blue ones. :cool:

10. shadowplay_80

shadowplay_80 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 10, 2001
    Until recently, I thought his saber was green in ROTJ to make it immediately obvious that he hadn't somehow recovered the one from TESB, since the scene where he builds it was cut from the movie.

11. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It is the same reason that Qui-Gon dueled Maul on Tatooine rather than Obi-Wan.
    Hmm, never thought of that. Maybe you could be right.
    And yes, it probably was due to the contrast against the blue sky - although these days 'lightsabre blue' is a lot more vibrant than before, so something like dozens of them getting waved around in the Geonosis Arena battle looks fine.

12. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    If you're referring to this set of pics:

[image=http://img38.exs.cx/img38/2581/tatooinesabers.jpg]

I was under the impression that they were promo-only pics (for the Vanity Fair shoot IIRC). Kind of a non-spoiler way of showing what the film was going to be like. As you can see (and like Damon mentioned) you can see the blue saber fine.
    Although yes, it is entirely possible that GL wasn't entirely happy with blue sabers on sand, and come Geonosis he just didn't have a choice any more ;)

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

13. Fallen_Jedi21

Fallen_Jedi21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2004
    I don't really think Geonosis counts in the blue sky/green saber argument, since it's sky is orange.

14. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    in one word, no it would not have been green. The whole idea was blue vs red/good versus evil. The sole reason for making it green was because with the technology they had at the time to rotoscope the sabers was insufficient and they claimed that you could not see luke's blade during that scene...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.