main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if Watto had been the main alien sidekick instead of Jarjar

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Rebel Scumb, Jun 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomaschus

Tomaschus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    Watto could have known about jango through his underworld connections and given us more background about Jango's past adventures. The winged one could also use less legal means to get into the cloning facility. Than the Kaminonans ( sp? ) would not look like idiots instantely letting Obi-Wan inside their facility. And it would be great to here Obi-wan, Watto conversations since they are extremely different charecters.

2. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Yeah,I agree with what was said earlier, it was QGJ's interaction with Watto that played such a large part in QGJ being a great character in TPM.

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    OGJ and OW are kinda the straight, honest types while Watto is...as you say...Mr. Underworld connections.

And he could come up with some great sarcastic one-liners.

4. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Yeah, one problem wit the PT dialogue is its pretty interchangeable between the leads, the way padme talks is the way obi-wan talks is the way Anakin talks, mace, Bail etc.

Watto has a very distinct speech and manner though which would of set him apart and allowed for conflict with the other characters.

Granted Jarjar also has a unique way of speaking.

5. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    While I'm sure it would of lead to some interesting conversations and good humour, I prefer Jar Jar Binks to Watto. My opinion of course.

6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Watto was a great character. His scene with QG where he says "what - you think you're some kinda Jedi?" is the one genuinely funny moment in TPM.

I think it would have been much better to have Watto as a sidekick, it would've needed some rewriting, but the basic character and his greedy ways would be a great contrast.

BTW - when I first saw TPM it occurred to me that Watto was the original 3PO. Not kidding - as I'm sure some of you know, Lucas's original intention for 3PO was that he be like an oily second hand car dealer and he wanted a voice to match, he did try re-dubbing Anthony Daniels performance but eventually realised that his performance matched the voice too well and so 3PO ended up like an English butler.
    George never lets go of an old idea!

g

7. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Yeah that occured to me the other day as well, good observation.

8. flyingillini

flyingillini Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2003
    Watto is a great character and would have been fantastic as the main alien sidekick. Watto could have also known Jar Jar creating the bridge to the Gungans and the final battle.

9. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    good idea, if Watto had been from naboo, he might of had dealings with the gungans that Padme had not and was able to act as ambassador between the two races.

10. Tomaschus

Jun 15, 2003
    Watto could also be racist against the Gungans at first. That would show other species hate for the floppy eared ones. It could create some racial tension. Maybe Toydarians could be related to the Gungans? Only they are accepted by the humans.

11. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Now you're thinking. More conflict equals more drama and more comedy.

12. Tomaschus

Jun 15, 2003
    Exactely Scumb. And that is just what Phantom was lacking.

13. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I don't think having Watto play Jar Jar's role would of worked. Watto was perfect for the part as Anakin's master. He was greedy mean but showed some caring toward the boy. IMO Watto's personality reflects Vader's personality somewhat. Watto is greedy for money and Vader is greedy for power n control. They're both mean as we can see in the movies and both do show have some light in them that shines once n great while. So if you wanna take Jar Jar out of the movie replace him with a totally different character and not with Watto.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.