main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What If: Yoda vs. Anakin and Obi-Wan vs. Sidious

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by hansolo_23, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    He didn't say that Anakin could destroy the Emperor in ROTS. Lucas said that Anakin could have beat the Emperor if he didn't get all beat up. This means that after the events of ROTS, when Anakin has grown in power, he would be stronger than the Emperor and able to defeat him. I know this because of all the official evidence indicating that Anakin is weaker than the Emperor during ROTS, which I previously outlined in my posts. The OS says the Emperor is the strongest dark side practicioner during ROTS, meaning he's stronger than Anakin. This proves that Lucas was talking about what Anakin could do in the future, not that Anakin was stronger than Palpatine in ROTS.

The Emperor said Luke could "destroy" him in ESB. Obviously, Luke wasn't at the necessary skill level to beat the Emperor at that point. He was referring to what Luke could do in the future, just as Lucas was referring to what Anakin could do in the future.

Lucas called the Emperor the "toughest" in regards to his duel with Yoda, which means he's stronger than Anakin. McDiarmid said that his character is "much more powerful" than Anakin. Master Replicas said the Emperor and Yoda are the greatest wizards of the Force. Yoda sent Obi-Wan to fight Anakin, showing he considers Anakin the weaker Sith lord. Anakin lost to an opponent who can't even "compete" with the Emperor. The Emperor said "Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us", meaning he isn't as strong yet.

Lucas said "you have to be either Mace or Yoda to compete with the Emperor. This means Obi-Wan doesn't even have a chance against the Emperor, as Yoda said. Obi-Wan's lightsaber skills are inferior to the Emperor's. Gillard said the Emperor is a level 9 swordsman, but Obi-Wan is only a level 8. The Emperor's lightning is so strong that Obi-Wan would probably be easily electrocuted.

2. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    Farrellg i completely agree with you. The only slight point I disagree with at all is this very last bit:
    The Emperor's lightning is so strong that Obi-Wan would probably be easily electrocuted.

I think Sidious would have just rushed Obi-Wan pretty close to the same way as the jedi arrest party - with a lightsaber. Otherwise, he would toy with him.

I think that Obi-Wan could defend himself from the lightning, as long as he didn't get too close to Sidious. Obviously if Sidious could use lightning to overpower a jedi's lightsaber, that's all he would ever do (same with jedi and force powers).

3. TheLighterSide

TheLighterSide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    Normally, I don't hold with "what if" scenarios, but this one is intriguing. If you just look at the movies alone, you see that Obi-Wan is fairly decent with a saber. Actually, he is one of the best with the saber. Where he gets into trouble, and this happens in every fight he loses with the exception of the second Vader fight, is when his opponent uses Force powers against him. He can't seem to defend himself against Force attacks. Strictly with the saber, I think he could hold his own with Sidious. Sidious wins the fight, but he wins a close one because his use of the Force puts him over the top. As for Anakin, he is young and foolish, easily manipulated and controlled during a fight because he cannot control his emotions. Yoda takes advantage of this and defeats him, maybe not easily, but defeats him nontheless.

4. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    Yoda would easily crush Anakin as would Palpatine easily crush Obi-Wan.

Emporer Gerner Dark lord of the Sith

5. ticopuma

ticopuma Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 2, 2005
    QFCT

6. blicknasty

blicknasty Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    The same result would occur regardless of their respective foes.

7. The_Chibi_Kiriyama

The_Chibi_Kiriyama Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    Hmm...in terms of the Yoda vs. Anakin possibility, Anakin would have been beaten by Yoda, but I wonder if his peaceful nature and Anakin having been a Jedi would stay his hand or force him to kill Skywalker entirely...

As for Obi-Wan vs. Palpatine, farrellg gives Obi-Wan too much credit and sithrules nailed it on the head; Obi-Wan only survived Anakin's assault because of a good defense. When against an enemy with just as good a defense and a powerful trump card to boot Yoda's prediction would have easily come to life.

That's my take on things, feel free to counter it.

8. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    Yoda would destroy Anakin
    Palpatine would destroy Obi-Wan

9. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    How did I give Obi-Wan too much credit? I said he's no match for the Emperor and would be easily electrocuted.

10. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005

Obi-wan was also able to fight Anakin because he is way more xperianced then Anakin.

11. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    Anakin of ROTS was obviously not unbeatatable, but nobody not even Sidious could destroy him, Yoda would have to rely on his force powers to beat him, i do not think Yoda could withstand him in a saber fight, Dooku was close to Yoda in their saber fight.
    And experience did not help Dooku and he has more than anyone except Yoda.

12. The_Chibi_Kiriyama

The_Chibi_Kiriyama Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    I was S T R E C H I N G out the severity by which the Emporer would win, farrellg. That's all. Just a little tall-telling of a what-if scenario...[face_mischief]

As for Obi-Wan being more experienced, pray tell me at what? His padawan skills were all the more prevalent in his fight with Darth Maul, and despite being a Jedi Knight he suffered one of the worst butt-whoopings ever put to tape from Count Dooku of all people. Maybe I need to re-watch the prequel trilogy again, because in terms of experience Anakin and Obi-Wan's fight count seems to be dead even.

13. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    I agree, Obi-wan and Anakin were equel:cool:

14. ZamWesell44

Sep 13, 2003
    Anakin and Kenobi were not equal. Anakin was more powerful thats why he is always saving his life. kenobi is stronger mentally when they fight, and is able to focus that is why he is the one who walks away.

15. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    Being more powerful does not mean you always walk away, Anakin was not saving Obi-wan's life because he was more powerful And during their adventures Obi-wan saved Anakin's life before to.

And on the DVD Hayden said that they can't make one of them weaker then the other so that would mean they were equel, and on screen they looked equel to me.

16. Anakin1

Anakin1 Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2006
    Yoda may have killed anakin and obi wan no matter how great a warrior he is,he will be crushed under the power of Darth sidious

17. darth254

darth254 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    I think Sidious would simply overwhelm Obi-Wan, but don't overlook Yoda vs. Anakin. Remember, Dooku did fend off Yoda for quite a bit and Anakin overpowered Dooku come ROTS (I'm guessing Dooku was probably stronger by ROTS since you add on 3 more years to practicing the ways of the Sith). I'm sure though Yoda could goad Anakin into making a mistake however. Then again, Dooku should have done the same but he wasn't able to.

18. ZamWesell44

Sep 13, 2003
    i agree with that.

19. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    First of all the only one at the time of Episode III who could beat Anakin was Obi-Wan because of the emotional connections between them. Yoda would have been defeated against Anakin and Obi-Wan would have lost to Sidious. So there would be a 4,5, and 6 and no one to stop Vader and the Emperor.

20. ZamWesell44

Sep 13, 2003
    i think in a lightsaber fight neither Sidious or Yoda could withstand him.

21. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    Anakin was not the strongest yet, If he was Yoda would not send Obi-wan to fight Anakin in the first place.

Also Obi-wan and Anakin are very powerful and they should not be under estamated. They are being under estamated alot.:rolleyes:

22. darth254

Jul 14, 2004
    I don't know...Obi-Wan is overhyped in my opinion. Notice he only beats the overconfident youths (Darth Maul and Anakin), but can't beat the veterans (Dooku TWICE). Whatever Obi-Wan's style is, I think the more experienced Jedi/Sith can figure him out. He gets into these long, grueling physical fights with Maul and Anakin, eventually capitalizing on their mistakes. When he takes on Dooku, he can't go more than like 20 seconds.

Anakin on the otherhand is a headcase and likewise is inconsistent.

23. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    Obi-wan is more experianced then Anakin, Thats why he won, experiance is better then power.

In my opinion Obi-wan is being way under estamated.

24. Anakin1

Anakin1 Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2006
    I still don't think why you said Yoda can't beat anakin as he was the greatest jedi at that time.In terms of power, Anakin clearly have the edge over Obi wan but Obi wan has the experience and knowledge.Anakin is like somewhat a ticking time bomb as he sometimes reply on his anger and emotions to fight his battles though sometimes anger and hatred do make him powerful in fights.Intense fights in star wars sometimes come down to little mistakes in like taken by surprise darth maul,on the higher ground obi wan has at the final duel and so forth.But i still think obi wan was able to beat anakin at that time as he uses wisdom over brute force.

25. darth254

Jul 14, 2004
    well if experience is all that matters, then Dooku had no business losing to Anakin and Qui-Gon shouldn't have lost to Darth Maul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.