main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if??-Yuuzhan Vong vs. Borg!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Qui-Gonn Jinn, Nov 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gonn Jinn

Qui-Gonn Jinn Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 1999
    These are the two bad@$$es from the 2 best space dramas...it would be an awesome matchup....the Borg are cybernetic-and the Vong hate technology....if somehow a person could make a What if? comic out of this i'd sure as hell buy it. The Borg and Vong are the 2 most deadly foes one could have...in a showdown who would win?? My vote goes Borg, but I know the Vong would put up one hell of a fight....

2. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    You're not the first to think of this.

What about the Vong vs. the Zerg? ;)

3. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Or Vong vs Predator's. Or Aliens. Or Protoss. Or Red Shirts from ST? [face_mischief]

4. SCI_FI_NUT

SCI_FI_NUT Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2001
    VOgn vs Shadows/vourlons/first ones(i'd just LOVE to see how they'd react to the living shadow and vourlon ships as their cut to ribbions)

5. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    Or, just combine the two together

Vong+Borg=Bong!

Now you have something new to play with, just don't spill the water.

6. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Nom Anor: "Whoa, dude! I think I can feel the Force."

Tsavong Lah: "Oh man, I've got the munchies."

[face_mischief]

7. Qui-Gonn Jinn

May 1, 1999
    zerg would lose....redshirts? bongs?? what the *&ck? yall took one too many hits...lol

8. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    Ah... I see you have constructed your own bong-saber. Obi wan as taught you well. But I find your lack of blunts disturbing...

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    We has this discussion last month. The TNG borg would win. The VOY borg would lose.

10. Qui-Gonn Jinn

May 1, 1999
    well fine mastadge-damn man we were having fun...damnit i lost my lightsaber clip again.....improv-whos got the roach clip....?

11. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Vong vs. Borg, Borg win

Vong vs. Zerg, Zerg win

Vong vs. Protoss, Protoss win

Vong vs. Aliens, Vong win

Vong vs. Predators, tough call, I'd say Predators

Vong vs. Bun Bun, Bun Bun wins

Vong vs. Riff, let me check my notes...

12. Anakin_1984

Anakin_1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2001
    Vong vs. Borg- Vong win (the reason why I think the Vong would win is because the Vong are probably more powerful than the Dominion from DS9,and the Dominion would probably be able to defeat the Borg. There might even be the chance of the Borg doing great,but in the end I'd say the ultimate victory would go to the Vong).

13. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    Now that I think about it, the Borg might win. Just drop some nanoprobes down, and you can assimilate an entire ship an its crew in one fell soop - everything is alive, and its resistance is futile!

14. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Also, Vong just happened to have their technophobia derive from the fact they were driven out of their galaxy by Unicron.

15. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Well..the Protoss couldn't even defeat the Zerg...I think they would lose.

Zerg Swarm vs. Vong...The Swarm.

16. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    Vong-formers! More than meets the eye!!! :D

17. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "We has this discussion last month. The TNG borg would win. The VOY borg would lose."

Voyager and janeway had all the tactical databases, of all the previous events from TNG in her ship, as well as new technology and tactics she learned while they were trapped in the delta quadrant. Take all those advancements away from the opposing force(voyager), and the borg would have destroyed voyager.

Vong who do not have those tactics and technologies at there command, would be killed(or assimilated) by the borg of voyager(which happen to be the same as the borg of tng, except that we as viewers know alot more about them, from added continuity.) quite easily.

It's the law of technological breakthroughs. some problem that was big 20 years ago, is no longer a problem today if the technology improved to counteract it.

Yet in a 3rd world country where technology didn't evolved the problem still remains as deadly as it was before.

Think logically and chronologically, please, and quite using that pathetic excuse for logic that doesn't make a whole lot sense.

18. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    No DL,they learned their lesson after Cobra Commander,aka. Nom Anor,tried to use technology to conquer the Earth.

They also learned that snake worship isn't so hot and doesn't really help when you're trying to conquer the something..

The next best thing...chaos gods.

Vong lalaLALALALALA!

19. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Though one problem I see with the borg for all there assimilation, they remained fairly static, they didn't change there tactics or there technology much. Some of the technology they learned they never even put into use, just kept the knowledge of it(mainly because the fact that the tech may be inferior to tech they already have). What you have is a stagnent society. Where as humans and non assimilated races and cultures always move forward. There are races that are more advanced but hold off the borg to the point that borg can't assimilate the new knowledge, and therefore would remain static. Hence what you see with the voyager and it's information databases.

They had become scavengers.

In theory that same problem of stagnenting could be a weakeness vong could exploit. But vong would have to keep up there biotecnology increased at a high rate to catch up to the equivalent that the borg already possess(One problem the possess is that they won't learn from others and won't resort to "technology"(except if it's biotech) of races, like voyager is willing to do.

20. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    vongamus prime megavong autovong decptivong
    univong vongoplex trypitivong

21. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    The Vong will take it in the 5th round.

22. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

The Protoss lost against the Zerg because Kerrigan played both ends against the middle and suckered both sides into giving her what she wanted (Bad Raynor, Bad Fenix!). The Protoss' psionic abilities as well of those of the Zerg, especially the Overmind and/or Kerrigan would level playing field instantly. Plus don't forget the Dark Templars. Individually, with the exception of the Zergling, the Zerg units are tougher. However, I think the Vong would at least be impressed by the Zerg, that is until they were infested and the Zerg began adding the good features about Vong biotech to themselves.

Sorry, the Vong could never defeat either type of Borg. They couldn't even beat the Federation. Let's face it, the Vong's only claim to fame is their dovin basals- both the Feds and the Borg have mastered gravity to the Nth degree. I somehow suspect the Vong would have zero defense against nonoprobes, which would infect ANYTHING organic, plus both the Feds and the Borg have transporters, which the Vong cannot defend against because they lack shields. On a person level, an amphstaff would do beans against a borg drone's personal shields. All their spores, meaningless, because the borg don't need to breath. Plus the Borg have more ships and a larger army that wouldn't waste themselves invading a planet.

The latter technology, that possessed by the Feds or the Borg, is one of the reasons why I generally dislike what Trek has become. Everything is tech, people hardly matter anymore, but in Star Wars, where the technology isn't disgustingly high, people still matter and it is the people that make things happen, and why, IMHO, Star Wars will ALWAYS be superior to Star Trek in every way, shape and form.

23. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000
    Though one problem I see with the borg for all there assimilation, they remained fairly static, they didn't change there tactics or there technology much.[./i]

Essentially true, but I think that was bad writing, because the Borg will always go to the next logical extension of whatever they develop or steal, so it's by and large bad writing on behalf of the Berman and Co. but since when has bad writing ever stopped Star Trek?

Some of the technology they learned they never even put into use, just kept the knowledge of it(mainly because the fact that the tech may be inferior to tech they already have).

Again, bad writing.

What you have is a stagnent society.

Absolutely, but it doesn't change the fact that the tech they have is lightyears beyond the Yuuzhan Vong.

Where as humans and non assimilated races and cultures always move forward. There are races that are more advanced but hold off the borg to the point that borg can't assimilate the new knowledge, and therefore would remain static.

The Borg initially seemed more interested in adding biological and technological UNIQUENESS to themselves in Next Gen, but somewhere along the way, it all changed. I also like Gene Roddenberry's original concept that they be insects.

Hence what you see with the voyager and it's information databases.

They had become scavengers.

Who, the Borg?

In theory that same problem of stagnenting could be a weakeness vong could exploit. But vong would have to keep up there biotecnology increased at a high rate to catch up to the equivalent that the borg already possess(One problem the possess is that they won't learn from others and won't resort to "technology"(except if it's biotech) of races, like voyager is willing to do.

Nope, I disagree here. It doesn't matter if the Borg have stagnated, they are still vastly superior to the Vong. All the Borg would have to do is capture a yammosk or mid-ranking Vong priests and shapers, then the Borg would have all of the Vong's tech and know how to defend against it, (As shown in Best of Both Worlds P.2, when the Enterprise's big attack washed off the Borg's shields because they had Picard and knew of the attack.)

NONE of this changes the fact that I still think the Yuuzhan Vong are vastly superior villains than the Borg have ever been or could ever hope to be.

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Again, bad writing."

No, actually it's a prediction made my Sociaologists, that humans will reach a point where technology reaches it's limits and then society will stagnent because it's running out of new material. Now in the case of humans this would take centuries for this to happen, because they are coming up with there own ideas.

Borg on the other hand scavenge and steal new technology, which means they have to find the technology first. If they don't they don't go forward. the scavenging has limited there ability to go forward. Because they do not upgrade tech on there own. Socioligists talk about scavenging limits people from technologically advancing very fast.

So what you have is a race that follows socio theory, and is infact realistic to say the least. It is not bad writing.

"Absolutely, but it doesn't change the fact that the tech they have is lightyears beyond the Yuuzhan Vong."

I never said the borg didn't have superor tech. Infact if you read what I said right, I said that the borg of any era could defeat the vong easily.

"The Borg initially seemed more interested in adding biological and technological UNIQUENESS to themselves in Next Gen, but somewhere along the way, it all changed. I also like Gene Roddenberry's original concept that they be insects."

Yes, the borg if they assimilate a technology that is superior or useful to stuff they have, they will incorporate it into there own. the only problem is that when you have assimilated thousands of thousands of varieties of technology, then some worlds would be less than what you have, or same as what you have. Variation is not enough for some assimilated species to be worth changing the technology over(I mean changing it you would end up exactly the same in the end, or less than what they had before). They only upgrade as fast as other races upgrade, when they assimilate a whole race they stagnent that race, and lose there options for new technology.

"Nope, I disagree here. It doesn't matter if the Borg have stagnated, they are still vastly superior to the Vong. All the Borg would have to do is capture a yammosk or mid-ranking Vong priests and shapers, then the Borg would have all of the Vong's tech and know how to defend against it, (As shown in Best of Both Worlds P.2, when the Enterprise's big attack washed off the Borg's shields because they had Picard and knew of the attack.)"

Again, I'm firm believer that the borg would mop up the vong easily. But to be fair I was mentioning one borg weakness that the vong in theory could exploit if highly unlikely, and it would take years, years in which the vong would probably already be assimilated in.

On the other hand borg ships have problems with multi tasking, if a ship randomizes an attack, then the borg have problems with adapting there shields to the new form of fire. As well they have weak spots in the hull that most of the federation know about now.(vong wouldn't know about it considering they are privy federation information). Vong use the same attack every time, so borg would adapt quite easily. Borg wins yet again.

I seriously wish you would read deeper into my posts, instead of accusing me of thinking the vong had any chance.

"NONE of this changes the fact that I still think the Yuuzhan Vong are vastly superior villains than the Borg have ever been or could ever hope to be."

You have that right to believe what you like, and I won't argue with you.

But as for me I find both villains to be equally interesting. I won't play favorites, :D.

25. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000
    No, actually it's a prediction made my Sociaologists, that humans will reach a point where technology reaches it's limits and then society will stagnent because it's running out of new material. Now in the case of humans this would take centuries for this to happen, because they are coming up with there own ideas.

Agreed. It is also reminiscent of the Minbari from Babylon 5- whereas numerous races were making technological advances, the Minbari seemed to already be there, they were, as you say, stagnent and not really developing anything new. But does a society only stagnate when they cannot invent or discover anything new? I think the Borg had stagnated more out of a lack of cultural identity rather than reaching a technological apex.

Borg on the other hand scavenge and steal new technology, which means they have to find the technology first. If they don't they don't go forward. the scavenging has limited there ability to go forward. Because they do not upgrade tech on there own. Socioligists talk about scavenging limits people from technologically advancing very fast.

Because it is not developed through research and development, trial and error, the Borg are not inovators, whereas the humans, and even the Vong to some extent, are highly inovative.

So what you have is a race that follows socio theory, and is infact realistic to say the least. It is not bad writing.

In as much as Borg stories became less interesting, and they themselves, even with the introduction of the Queen in "First Contact" didn't liven things up, IMHO, I would say that it is in fact bad writing, because things should become more interesting the more you learn about them. Unfortunately, the Borg don't have anything new about them except, as time went on we saw more ship designs. They essentially became two-dimensional villains out to assimilate everything.

However, the Borg Queen in Voyager at least had a serious beef against Voyager, and its crew, making things personal. It also made things interesting, and the story of Unimatrix 0 was a neat concept. People with such a strong sense of self able to detach themselves from the collective nad had created a place they could go and be themselves. And Seven became more interesting as time went on, they did a lot of good things with her character that I liked. So in essence she proves both our comments about their society.

I never said the borg didn't have superor tech. Infact if you read what I said right, I said that the borg of any era could defeat the vong easily.

Fair enough.

Yes, the borg if they assimilate a technology that is superior or useful to stuff they have, they will incorporate it into there own. the only problem is that when you have assimilated thousands of thousands of varieties of technology, then some worlds would be less than what you have, or same as what you have. Variation is not enough for some assimilated species to be worth changing the technology over(I mean changing it you would end up exactly the same in the end, or less than what they had before). They only upgrade as fast as other races upgrade, when they assimilate a whole race they stagnent that race, and lose there options for new technology.

Granted, and if Species 8472 is any example of the total number of species they had assimilated, then with each new one they grab, it would again reduce the chances of finding anything new. Hence the Borg were so hot to find new races to assimilate, that they began experimenting with opening doorways into other dimensions and universes to find new territory to conquer, and were so hot to assimilate 8472.

If the Borg could have their cake and eat it too, and be both apart of the collective and semi-free willed, then they would truly be unstoppable, because not only would they be able to share all information instantly, they could also innovate from what they learned, both individually and as a group.

Again, I'm firm believer that the borg would mop up the vong easily. But to be fair I was mentioning one b

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.