main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What If...?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by CaraJinn, Apr 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Author: CaraJinn
    Era: Some time between PT and OT
    Genre: Drama
    Characters: Obi-Wan
    Summary: Obi-Wan has a quiet moment and reflects upon what might or might not have happened if he had left the Jedi Order and spent his life with Duchess Satine.

Master Qui-Gon always taught me that I should keep my thoughts in the here and now, and I have really, really tried. Even when I came here to this force forsaken dustball of a planet, I did that. I still do, but sometimes, just sometimes, I wonder what would have happened if…well everything had turned out in a different way.

What if Satine had asked me to stay with her when we said goodbye on Mandalore? What if I had said yes and left the Order?

Then I would never have met Anakin and someone else would have trained him. Maybe that would have been better. That is, if anyone actually had found Anakin. It was my Master who had this hang up on the idea of the Chosen One, but if I had left he might not have been assigned to the mission on Naboo, and then he would never have found Anakin in the first place. Yes, as it turned out, that might have been just as well. For him, for the galaxy and maybe for me too.

I would never have had to live through the clone wars, maybe they wouldn't even have begun since I wouldn't have been caught in that immensely stupid trap on Geonosis. My fellow jedi would have survived. I would never have been sent to Jabiim, never been -oh Force, I don't even want to think of it- have been locked up in that awful cell on Rattatak. I wouldn't have had to fight Anakin on Mustafar…

It's almost 18 years since that extended mission to Mandalore now, and if I had stayed , if ,well, she had wanted me to stay, we would most likely have been married by now. I'm sure we would have had a happy marriage, at least for the first years. We were so insanely in love with each other. At least I loved her so much. So very, very much. She would have ruled the planet according to her pacifistic conviction and I would have lived with her, being her husband and stayed by her side.

We would have had children. I'm almost certain of it. The attraction we felt for each other would have had…consequences. I would have enjoyed being a father, I think. We might have had a little girl with Satine's blond hair and big blue eyes. Or a boy. Maybe he would have resembled me? Oh, I hope not. He would have been a handsome young man now, and I'm sure he would have had his mother's blond hair as well, but maybe my eyes. It would have been nice if he had resembled me in something.

I would have taught them to fight. Not with lightsabers of course. I would have had to leave it with Master Qui-Gon when I left. Only Jedi carry lightsabers and I would not have been one. But still I could have taught them how to fight with ordinary swords or poles. I wonder if they would have become good at it. As future rulers of Mandalore, they should have.

Though, Satine would not have permitted it. It would have interfered with her pacifistic view. She would have insisted that they should be raised according to her moral viewpoints. No, she would most certainly not have allowed me to do that. What would that have made me? Jedi are, well were, peacekeepers. So am I. I really like to think that. It's just that the 'saber training was ingrained in me so early and I loved it so much. Would I have been able to do that, even for her?

What would she have made me? Oh, we would have loved each other to bits, but after a while, would she have been as infatuated as in the beginning, if I weren't allowed to be there for her in the only way I knew? Would the love have been strong enough or would she have resented me for just following her around like some wide eyed puppy? What if I really had become one? What if my only purpose in life had been being the Duchess of Mandalore's husband? Could I have lived with that? Would I have lived with that? Or would it have made me a lesser man than I think I am? And Force knows I don't hold myself high in esteem right now, right here. But at least she would have been alive now. I think. Maybe Savage Oppress somehow would have found us anyway, and killed her?

Would the children, the child, whatever, have respected me as their father, or would they have seen me only as an appendix to their mother, the ruler of their home world? Would they have loved me, or would I just have been a supernumerary in their lives? Would they have …pitied me for the warrior I was, or even been disgusted by the thought that I had been trained so that I could fight and even kill if I had to?

And apart from that, what if I had never met Anakin? He made my life so rich for so many years until it deteriorated. What would have become of him? He was a clever boy, he might have managed to free himself from slavery sooner or later, and what would that have made him? He was so undisciplined, so raw and untamed. At least I like to think that I managed to ingrain some discipline in him and teach him some of the values and do's and don'ts in the Jedi lifestyle. It's almost impossible to even think it, but he could have become dangerous that way, even more so than he has become as Vader. I'm sure the Sith would have found him anyways. Such a strong Force wielder wouldn't have been unnoticed to them.

Qui-Gon would have lived on. At least he wouldn't have been killed on Naboo. But how would he'd reacted if I had left him and gone to Mandalore? It took so long time to establish the trust between us again after Melida/Daan. Could he have lived with the thought of me abandoning him twice. No, I don't think so, not when he already had the old wounds from Xanatos' betrayal. At least he died as a Jedi that fateful day on Naboo, not as a sick and lonely old man.

The clones wouldn't have been released at Geonosis, but they were already being raised and trained. Even without Geonosis the Sith would have found a way for the war to begin. That's the way of the Sith. No,not much would have changed in that matter.

Yes, the terrible things that have happened might have happened anyway, and it might have ended even worse. For so many.

I may have been an involuntary pawn in this play that is going on throughout the galaxy, but it's not over yet. I have to live my life here, knowing that there is still a meaning in my existence here. Some day the Force will show me what was finally expected from me. Some day Luke will become a man, and by then I may have been able to give him the insight he needs to carry on the fight towards the Sith, and for peace and prosperity in the galaxy.

Yes, I realize now that the Jedi dogma is right. "What if's" doesn't bring anyone any further. It doesn't change the past, nor the future. We have to struggle on along the path life -or the Force- has chosen for us.

I'm caught here on this Force forsaken dustball, but I still have a purpose. I still have the sunsets. I will carry on as long as I'm needed. That's the Jedi way. And that's my way.

oOo The End oOo

AzureAngel2 and Ridley Solo like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb and very understandable musings on what-ifs. It takes a special type of person to be able to step back and see the pros and cons of different choices and to ask oneself the hard questions that don't have easy answers.

Would the same tragic things have happened anyway?

Could he have lived as the "Duchess' consort?"

[face_thinking]

It is wonderful that he comes to some level of serene acceptance by the end.

@};-
    =D=

AzureAngel2 and CaraJinn like this.
  3. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Very nice take on all the what if's which existed in Obi-Wan's life. =D=

I think he could have, but wouldn't have been true to who he was if he had stayed with her. :(

4. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Yes, I realize now that the Jedi dogma is right. "What if's" doesn't bring anyone any further. It doesn't change the past, nor the future. We have to struggle on along the path life -or the Force- has chosen for us.

So everything is a mixture of free will AND of karma? ;) Perhaps even throwing rune stones? :p

Anyway, well written musings. You could write AUs from those. Lots of good AUs. For I would love to see Obi-Wan as Satine´s consort, too.

5. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks for the nice reviews all of you.

I wanted to keep his train of thoughts while still be a bit in doubt whether following Satine would have been a good choice for him back then. And, sorry, AzureAngel2... I'm quite sure there won't be an Obitine AU story coming from this PC *evil laughter * . He really would have deserved a caring woman in his life, but if I were to write that I would certainly have gone SiriWan instead. I have never understood the concept of the Obi-Wan/Satine romance, while Obi-Wan/Siri is understandable to me. They were opposites but still understanding each other's basic personalities. And though I'm not against AU stories, the romance part would have killed so much of the character that Obi-Wan wouldn't have been Obi-Wan in such a story. (I have a potential plot with an OE in my head that might work out, but still... She's too much of a Mary Sue yet. If I somehow manage to reconstruct her to a more moderate version someday, I will reconsider and find my way to the keyboard. But as per now - no romance for poor Obi.