main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends What Ifs (one-shot,Mara, Luke, Owen, Beru)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Feb 4, 2015.

1. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    In going through my old fic for the Prolific Index, I realised that I'd never posted this fic here. So...here it is. Strange little one-shot, second person, present tense, a bit weird. I hope you enjoy anyway.

Luke never speaks of his aunt and uncle. At first you wonder why, when he is so open and forthright reminiscing of everyone else - his old Masters, Yoda and Ben Kenobi; of Biggs and so many other friends who fell in battle. He even has no reservations discussing his father, although refuses to refer to him as Vader.

But never do the words Owen and Beru cross his lips.

You soon come to realise that he does not speak of them because he holds them the closest to his heart. Their loss is what he grieves the most.

Not wanting to cause his pain, you do not ask him about them. But your curiosity is piqued. Getting information, however, proves to be something of a dilemma, since no other sentient of your acquaintance knew the couple. No flesh-and-blood sentient, that is.

You are sure Threepio would be more than willing to enlighten you on the subject at length – but you are not quite that desperate. Instead, you seek out Artoo, and after initial reluctance at being hooked up to a translator datapad, agrees to tell you what he knows.

Which, surprisingly, turn out to be quite a bit, considering he was only owned by the couple for less than a day. You question him on this – especially his comments on a youthful Owen and Beru – but the astromech retorts that his internal mechanics equip him with powers of observation superior to that of humans, and that if you weren't going to trust his word, you should not have asked for it.

You have no response to this, and although you are not pleased at being silenced by a mere droid, you bid him to continue. Which he does, and eventually shows you a holo of the pair that must have been taken with his internal security camera. You wonder briefly what images and recordings he has of you in that metallic mind of his, but decide you don't really want to know. Instead you thank the droid, and he ambles off, leaving you alone with your thoughts.

Family is such a strange concept to you. You've seen how Luke is with his niece and nephews and although you cannot quite envy the closeness they have, you know it is something unique, and unlike anything you have ever known. Was Luke as close to his aunt and uncle – was he as dear to them as Jacen, Jaina and Anakin so clearly are to him?

You begin to wonder what their reaction would be to your impending marriage to Luke – were they still alive – and retreat into the Force for possible answers...

He takes you to their home on Tatooine; their humble moisture farm in the middle of the desert. Luke has, of course, offered to transplant them to Coruscant or even Yavin IV, but they remain resolute in their defiance. They have no wish to leave the family homestead, and Owen says gruffly that if he wants to see the stars, he can look out the window – that is as close as he wants to get to them.

Luke takes this all in his stride; he knows they will never accept his offer, yet he keeps asking – just in case. It is at this moment you can clearly see the difference in Luke – the Skywalker in him that Tatooine was never able to burn out despite Owen's fervent wishes. Luke informed you that there is no blood relation between him and the Lars family, and it could not be clearer, to be in the same room with all three of them. And yet, it is apparent that so much of what you love about Luke is thanks to Owen and Beru. You see in Beru his tenderness and kind acceptance, and in Owen his open and frank manner. You decide that there is a spark of Lars in him as well – the farmboy, the diligent worker, the humble man of the people. And you like that.

He slips back into habits of adolescence in their home – he calls Owen 'Sir' every now and again, and eagerly wolfs down the extra food Beru slips him from her own plate. They act as you imagine normal parents would when their son brings home an intended wife, although to be fair, you have nothing to compare it to. He had warned you that they were simple folk – as in uncomplicated – and he is quick to point out that most of his early education was given by Beru on the very table you are eating at, or by Owen out on the farm. While many people you know are embarrassed to return home after living on Coruscant, and make excuses for their family's 'backward' customs and lifestyles, Luke is not. If anything, he is proud of his roots, of his family. After all, as he had told you on the flight there – they were the kind of people he had always been fighting for. They were the reason the Jedi existed.

Owen seems rather unimpressed with you to begin with, and takes no pains to hide it. But you appreciate his honesty, and while you reciprocate with a cool, mannered respect, you take no trouble to try and please or flatter him. He talks of his vaporators, a topic of conversation you think he deliberately brings up to discourage guests from returning to his home and disrupting his quiet life, but you match him with your own knowledge gained from years of working as a mechanic. He is surprised, and says he thought Luke was bringing home a lily-wristed Imperial girl. You imagine that he considers anyone raised on Coruscant to be 'soft'. Luke sighs in exasperation and reminds Owen that he's already told him about your past, and that you've known much hardship.

Owen shrugs and says he has far more important things to remember, but you know he didn't forget. He was testing Luke's story out, and apparently, you passed, because Owen no longer attempts to bore you. In fact, you find that you have many things in common, and that you share the same blunt disregard for social niceties. You even enjoy his passionate description of the Tatooine landscape, and he offers to take you for a tour of the Dune Sea, which he assures you can only really be appreciated with a local guide. Luke shoots you a grin at this – for he told you Owen does not take kindly to strangers, especially strangers trying to worm their way into his family. His words, Luke had hastily added.

Beru you find a bit more challenging. She spends most of her time concentrating on Luke, begging him to tell her about the outside world, about his Academy, his students, his 'lovely sister'. But you notice Beru does not seem to be listening to his words, since you know Luke writes her extensive letters, and she would have all the information already. Rather, she seems intent on Luke himself; listening to his voice, smiling indulgently at his jokes, picking the fluff off his tunic, patting him affectionately on the head and ruffling his hair. He is her child, still.

It takes her almost half the evening to speak to you, and only does so after Owen and Luke have retreated to the garage, where Luke is eager to look at Owen's new speeder. Beru makes you a hot drink, which is thankfully not blue, and takes your hand gently. She tells you that while Owen may have ranted and raved about the suddenness of your engagement (he made a point to mention how frivolous he thought it was earlier that evening) she was not surprised to hear of it. Apparently Luke had often mentioned you in his correspondence, and that her 'old eyes' could read between the lines very easily. She likes you, she says.

You realise that she hadn't been ignoring you in favour of Luke the entire evening – rather she had been watching and studying you, taking time to make her judgement. And it is simple – she likes you. You appreciate that more than any flowery compliment or wordy praise.

She is a woman of the earth – grounded, resolute, enduring. You respect that.

You decide you like her too.

Your vision ends – and you realise is no more than that – a whisper of the possible. You file it away under the endless 'what ifs' of your life. What if you had never been taken from your family – what if the Emperor had truly tried to make you a Sith – what if you had killed Luke at Jabba's palace – what if you had fallen in love with Luke earlier... all the possibilities flowing through the Force. And yet you know that it is only the one you are living right now that matters.

Owen and Beru are Luke's past, and you are his future. The two cannot be reconciled. And yet...you hope someday, he will speak of them without prompting, that he will share that last corner of his heart with you.

And when that time comes, you will listen.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    First, I'm chuffed you found this, and second, I adore things written in "You." Gave me happy, happy chills. Loved the insights into all the characters and their interactions; I thought this is one cool AU, until I realized it was a visionary AU.:D
    I liked Mara's gentle openness and readiness to listen and also to see the Larses in Luke. :)

Bravisimo! =D=

^:)^

AzureAngel2 and JadeLotus like this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Great one-shot. The "What Ifs' in life often plague me.

AzureAngel2 and JadeLotus like this.
  4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Oh, that was lovely. Absolutely lovely. I think Owen and Beru would like Mara, and she would like them.

5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    This is wonderful, and a very insightful introspection. The second person POV works really well here. I love how even though this relationship could not exist, Mara understands that it would have worked out well. They are all bound together by a shared love for Luke.

Owen and Beru are Luke's past, and you are his future.

[face_love]

6. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    In this case, strange is good. Very good. :D

You need to get strange more often. ;)

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I love this little 'what if' one-shot. I'm glad you found it and posted it here.

8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I am a shameless copycat , so, when you meow, I c/p that meow and...this is what happens:
    In going through my old fic everybody's 2015 fics for the Prolific Index fanfic index, I realised that I'd never posted replied to this fic here. So...here it is. [I do agree that it's a] Sstrange little one-shot, second person, present tense, [just] a [tiny] bit weird. I hope you enjoyed it, anyway.

:p

Seriously, it's hard to do second person right, without making things look like a choose your own adventure story when they aren't that. But this story is a portfolio example of your "gardener" approach, as opposed to that "architect" one. While I do admit that I'm getting lost in epics when their structure gets *this* elaborate and loose, I enjoy this in short stories, music and poetry.

I never thought about Luke eventually dealing with the whole trauma of losing Owen and Beru, who were casualities of the war, as opposed to actual fallen soldiers, but the way you put it together here, it makes sense that Mara would eventually come to understand his reluctance to get that from wherever in his brain he had previously tucked it. That was a horrible way to die and, ironically, something for Luke and Mara to have in common, one of the things connecting them, given how much of her own life Mara had to abandon due to what it was like.

And then...a story in a story. Meditation from Mara's own mind. I can't figure out if she can see Luke's past and reconstruct a different future that is never going to take place, or if it's just her vivid imagination, but that's one beautiful, haunting fragment of life that never was and never will be. Owen being Owen, with his own woes that he cannot express the way one would expect and Beru, as somebody a woman just has to bond with, and understand. Cool nods to Turn Your Face to the Sun, in some way, too. Your compassion for Beru, once again, shines through Mara's POV!

P.S. This bit got me giggling:

You are sure Threepio would be more than willing to enlighten you on the subject at length – but you are not quite that desperate.

LOL. Nobody is that desperate. Oh, carp, there he is, popping from the edge of the screen, wondering if we forgot him or something.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    You reached so much with this particular one-shoot. Such beautiful character studies, your description of the Lars family. @};-

10. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    Sooooo....this is amazing. I LOVEEEE this POV when it's used like this to show inner thoughts, and the way you do it is just perfect.

Two things I love:
    1. That you chose to keep Owen and Beru close to Luke's heart and out of his daily conversation. I can see that being a very possible way for him to deal with the trauma, especially since I could see it being hard to fit them into the category of "war deaths" when their deaths were not really tied to the Rebellion (though ultimately they were) but were simple disregard for life. So that would make them really hard to get over.

2. Her imagining. While Mara is a very straightforward person, I can also see her having a vivid imagination. Not the kind that carries her away, but when she chooses to let it out, its very active! And this was a beautiful imagining. I always forget she worked as a mechanic (a shared interest between her and Luke) and I can see that winning over Uncle Owen, and I LOOOOVEEE the thought of Luke writing Beru letters! And her just watching him in that way, of savoring his presence. So darling...just in love!!!!

This was perfect. Thank you for sharing!! Be weird more often!!!! [face_love][face_praying]

[face_good_luck] Irish

Nyota's Heart and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    This is lovely and I'm so glad it's got upped again as I missed it first time round. I just adore fics that look into Luke's relationship with Beru and Owen and acknowledge how much influence they have over who he became.

The thing about Luke not talking about them because they were the closest to him rings so true - my own father never used to talk about his mother (who died suddenly long before I was born) and when I eventually pointed this out to him, I discovered that it was because he had been so close to her that her death had pained him so much for decades afterwards that he avoided speaking of her. After that he started to tell me about her, but I do empathise with Mara's situation here, being desperate to know more about these people she never met but not wanting to encroach on his personal grief. Beautifully and delicately done, well done!

Nyota's Heart and Ewok Poet like this.